Display Tank: CAD 50g Starphire Artisan Cube

Sump: CAD 18g Artisan Series Sump

Return Pump: Tunze Silence 1073

ATO: Tunze Osmolator

Circulation: 2xVortech MP40wES controlled by Apex WXM Module

Skimmer: Skimz SM 121 Monzter

Heater: 2x Hydor Theo 200w

Lighting: Aqua Illumination Sol Blue controlled by Apex VDM Module

Control: Neptune Systems Apex Lite (2xEB8, VDM, WXM, Netgear Wireless Bridge)

Carbon Reactor: Nextreef SMR1 Media Reactor

Phosphate Reactor: Nextreef SMR1 Media Reactor

Biopellet Reactor: Nextreef SMR1 Solid Media Reactor w/250-500ml of Vertex Pellets

Dosing: Avast Marineworks K1 Kalkwasser Stirrer driven by Tunze Osmolator

Miscellaneous: Avast Marineworks Probe Holder, CAD Cabinet/Lamp Trees, DIY Overflow Cap

FTS 11/13/2011

59496fb1.jpg

(Saved for posterity)

So I've had a 34g Solana for a little over 2 years. It's been a great tank, but will always be limited by the fact that it's an AIO. I've tried a lot of different equipment, and a lot of the stuff that fits in the rear chambers is inefficient, ineffective, underpowered, or just cheaply made. Don't get me wrong, this tank is certainly viable (many members here have done great work with the Solana series) and there are also a lot of people who make quality equipment specifically designed to overcome some of this tanks limitations.

With that said between my protein skimmer, media reactors, dosing pumps, and gargantuan light fixture I have lost sight of the clean, modern, and minimalist intentions I started with 2 years ago. It looks cluttered and it annoys me.

The health of many of my SPS corals has also been on the decline, I've noticed an increase in nuisance algae (bubble) and may even have a minor dinoflagellate outbreak. In 2 years I have never missed a weekly 10g water change, changed my carbon and GFO religiously once a month, and kept my skimmer running at peak performance or close to it. Perhaps I am a victim of old tank syndrome, maybe my large fish have outgrown the system and produce too much waste. Either way I can't export any more nutrients than I already do, or easily improve my water quality much more. So rather than continue to slowly decline.....

6e0e1fa8.jpg

ee7bf99c.jpg

And some stuff...

96108127.jpg

More to come.

Awwwwwwwww snap!

Cant wait to see this..Glad to see your back p.

I've got something else coming too, this is just to replace my Solana and keep me busy!

Nice....

What do you plan on running in those reactors?

One is for carbon, one for GFO, and the blue one is a biopellet reactor. Nextreef made it so there is no need for sponges or mesh, hoping I get some nice low-maintenance tumble :)

• 2 months later...

So my plans have seriously changed, hence the delay. After a ####storm of miscellaneous bad luck kept me tied up from working on the tank a real storm of snow hit the northeast and knocked my power out for days. Despite hours of trying to circulate water, an attempt at using a power-inverter from my car, and even heating some hot-water bottles on my gas grill to float in the tank, I lost a bunch of corals and clams (no fish!)

So instead of transferring all of the rock and general nastiness from my old tank, I have started from scratch and will only pick and choose what I want from the survivors. So I now have a tank cycling with fresh live rock and a new generator to prevent this type of thing from ever happening again.

12e8c698.jpg

01fedd9c.jpg

69afc579.jpg

I still need to drop the reactors in (I already have them plumbed and ready) and clean up some of the wiring in the sump.

Great build, definitely following along!

Could you post a diagram or explanation of how you have everything plumbed?

Plumbing is very simple actually, the tank is drilled with a 1/2 hole for the return and a 1 inch hole for the drain. Instead of a traditional durso standpipe I opted for a hofer gurgle buster. I liked its compactness and it is pretty quiet. Instructions can be found here: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Water drains down the gurgle buster/standpipe through a 1 inch bulkhead --> male thread to slip fitting --> Ball valve --> union --> 45 degree elbow --> 45 degree elbow --> straight length of pipe into filter sock. Really easy

Return is a bit different, basically water travels from the return pump --> union--> 45 elbow --> T

T --> 45 degree elbow --> union --> ball valve --> bulkhead --> straight pipe --> barbed fitting --> locline

T--> ball valve (to bleed the pump instead of throttle it back, supposed to improve life of pump) --> 45 elbow --> straight pipe back into sump.

I hope that makes sense, please ask questions if you have them!

Plumbing is very simple actually, the tank is drilled with a 1/2 hole for the return and a 1 inch hole for the drain. Instead of a traditional durso standpipe I opted for a hofer gurgle buster. I liked its compactness and it is pretty quiet. Instructions can be found here: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Water drains down the gurgle buster/standpipe through a 1 inch bulkhead --> male thread to slip fitting --> Ball valve --> union --> 45 degree elbow --> 45 degree elbow --> straight length of pipe into filter sock. Really easy

Return is a bit different, basically water travels from the return pump --> union--> 45 elbow --> T

T --> 45 degree elbow --> union --> ball valve --> bulkhead --> straight pipe --> barbed fitting --> locline

T--> ball valve (to bleed the pump instead of throttle it back, supposed to improve life of pump) --> 45 elbow --> straight pipe back into sump.

How long (Tall) from bottom to top did you go in the drain (hofer gurgle buster) I'm trying to figure it out, that's the only thing holding me back to start filling my thank, I have the same one by the way but with the black stand.

The water should cover the 1" endcap or below the endcap..??

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hey I'm sorry for the late reply, I got really distracted battling dinoflagellates.

My holes are pretty close to my cap...just below in fact. Water does not cover the cap.

You've probably done this, but I'd go with position "1" in your picture.

And yes, this build is slowed because I have dinoflagellates.

I am dosing H2O2 and keeping my PH above 8.4. Hopefully in some time I will be discussing DieNoFlagellates.

I also have fish, this will be discussed later when I feel like taking pictures.

• 1 month later...

Hey, quick question. how LOUD is your system (OR any of other "cadlights" type rimless owners reading). I was all bent out of hell on designing a durso or HGB, but am waiting on supplies, meanwhile, I decided to plumb and leak test everything in the garage. ITS loud, and not the over flow. Its the pump I have running it, but Im not sure if I introduced the noise myself so I am asking, dont want to derail your thread, but thought I would ask. (also, your pushing the now recommended 500gph?, I bought my tank used, no pump, thats why I ask.

• 6 months later...

Archived