Pod Your Reef

my first sw tank (10 gal aga)

bballer

ok. so ive been involved in the freshwater aquarium hobby for about 2 years now. ive finally come to my senses and decided to start a sw tank :). i have all the equipment exept a filter. any suggestions? ive been thinking about moddin an ac70 but im not sure. Also any tips on live rock and sand?

LarryMoeCurly

Go for the ac70.

As for live rock, try to get some from an established, pest-free tank. (from an LFS or a friend)

As for sand, just buy it in a bag, do not bother getting live sand, IMO.

Go for the ac70.

As for live rock, try to get some from an established, pest-free tank. (from an LFS or a friend)

As for sand, just buy it in a bag, do not bother getting live sand, IMO.

ok cool, sounds like a good idea. as far as livestock goes, any thoughts? im thinking a pair of clowns, a shrimp goby, and a small clean up crew

ok cool, sounds like a good idea. as far as livestock goes, any thoughts? im thinking a pair of clowns, a shrimp goby, and a small clean up crew

A bit of forewarning: I have no direct experience with the advise I'm about to give you.

However, I'm in the exact same position as you (starting a SW tank - 10 gallons - after doing freshwater for quite some time). From what I've figured out (articles, general opinions, etc) - 3 fish is pushing the limit of a 10 gallon tank. My original stocking idea was about the same as yours (shrimp/goby pair, 2 clowns) and the general consensus is that having those fish in the tank will require a ton of maintenance to keep up due to the bioload.

I could be wrong. B) In fact, I'm kind of famous for being wrong - so take it with a grain of salt.

I would start with the idea of a single clown and goby/shrimp pair and see how your tank does. Then consider a second later on.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it comes along :)

LarryMoeCurly

I disagree, IMO he should be fine.

He didn't day anything about a shrimp, he just wants a goby apparently.

chucktdbm321

less fish the easier i've had a ten gallon for 3 years and a 15 for two years (recently re did the ten gallon). Go with a AC110 if your wallet allows you so you can make a little fuge and what not

broxxor,thanks and i get what you are saying and i had the same thoughts a while ago. but last week i went to 2 lfs and they said id be fine.

Larry, yeah i do think a shrimp/ goby pair would be cool

chuck, i dont have the budget for an ac110, and cant you make a fuge with a 70?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived