FTS_FrontShot.jpg

FTS_RSideShot.jpg

FTS_LSideShot.jpg

Specs:

Display: 29 Gallon Biocube

Lighting: Stock PCs

Rock: Fiji Live Rock

Substrate: Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Natural

Filtration: inTank media basket....Chemi-Pure Elite, Poly Filter floss and Puragen (Coming Soon)

Circulation: Biocube 29 stock pump

Heater: Via Aqua 100w

Parameters:

Temp: Daily Temp 80° F - 82° F

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

pH: 8.2

Maintenance:

Every other day: Feed, Clean Skimmer

Weekly: Clean Glass, Change Filter Floss

Bi-Weekly: 10% Water Change & Testing

Monthly: Clean Pumps

Bi-Monthly: Change Chemi-P / Purigen

Yearly: 40% Water Change

SilenX Fan Mod

Hood_Full.jpg

Hood_LSilenX.jpg

Hood_RSilenX.jpg

I will update as times goes on, thoughts and comments welcome. :D

UPDATE: 05-30-11 (Memorial Day)

So a small update with some pics. Check'em out and let me know what you guys think. Does it look healthy? This is my main concern; or any potential problems?

Update1_FTS.jpg

Update1_ClownsUnderRock2.jpg

Update1_ClownsUnderRock.jpg

Update1_ClownsHermit.jpg

*Zebra Nerite Snail*

Update1_SnailID.jpg

Had this snail in my freshwater tank, found it in the filter when cleaning, threw it in the saltwater tank and it is more active then ever. Thanks to Yves and Hravanii ! :D

jfarabaugh

how long has the tank been running? please tell me a while before you added the clowns?

"Had this snail in my freshwater tank, found it in the filter when cleaning, threw it in the saltwater tank and it is more active then ever. Just don't know the species."

Really? your joking right?

Looks like a nerite snail...hard to tell from the angle but nerites are found in fresh, brackish, and salt water...looking good so far.

Tanks been up for three weeks. Tested for the past two weeks, all parameters are perfect. I'm doing a 10% water change tomorrow and adding a little bio spira. Also going to start supplementing calcium and iodine to get the tank ready for my first LPS or softy (looking at getting red brain coral) in two weeks.

The clowns are doing great, they explored the tank together and have found their spot by the back left side of the tank. They love to swim in the current, sort of like a drag race, side by side (I'll get a video up). The hermits are all over the place, non-stop feeding. I'm not joking about the snail, I love that it's doing better in this tank! I will start cleaning algae off of glass in a week or two. Tunze 9002 in the mail and my chiller is working flawlessly. So far so good. :D

LMAO about the snail... i can't believe you really did that, lol.

Is this your 1st SW tank?

and the tank looks like it is coming along quite well

LMAO about the snail... i can't believe you really did that, lol.

Is this your 1st SW tank?

and the tank looks like it is coming along quite well

Yeah this is my first SW tank. I LOVE MY SNAIL!

My LFS has a blue hippo tang in their 34G Red Sea Nano and I'm really digging the idea of having Nemo and Dori in the tank. I've noticed though that the hippo tang is very aggressive towards the yellow tang and oddly enough the Goby and damsel that hang out at the bottom of the tank. Are Blue Hippos naturally aggressive?

Any kind of Tang in a BC29 is a bad idea.

So you've read? or you've had them and they've died? The tangs I'm speaking of have always been in the same tank. Full of anemone and live rock.

BowieReefer84
So you've read? or you've had them and they've died? The tangs I'm speaking of have always been in the same tank. Full of anemone and live rock.

If you want an algae eater get a lawnmower blenny. Hippo tangs (all tangs) need large tanks. A 29gal biocube isn't even close to what you need. Even as a juvi they won't have enough swimming room. They will end up with ich or something and stop eating, and die. Trust me.

Did you start with liverock or dry baserock?

You should add another powerhead in the tank.

Also, I see you are talking about dosing iodine and calc. You do NOT need to dose iodine in that tank ever. Keep up with water changes every couple weeks and you will be fine. If you dose Calc you also need to dose Alk in the same proportion to keep your levels balanced. However, with a 2 week old tank you likely do not have the demand to warrant any supplementation. There looks to be not much corraline, and you have no corals...

Also, purigen and chemipure last MUCH longer than 2 weeks...

Take it nice and slow.

Rcplain123

Good call on the StevieT racks. I suggest getting a Koralia in the tank as well. I also think that weekly water changes would be beneficial. Tank looks good so far though.

If you want an algae eater get a lawnmower blenny. Hippo tangs (all tangs) need large tanks. A 29gal biocube isn't even close to what you need. Even as a juvi they won't have enough swimming room. They will end up with ich or something and stop eating, and die. Trust me.

Did you start with liverock or dry baserock?

You should add another powerhead in the tank.

Also, I see you are talking about dosing iodine and calc. You do NOT need to dose iodine in that tank ever. Keep up with water changes every couple weeks and you will be fine. If you dose Calc you also need to dose Alk in the same proportion to keep your levels balanced. However, with a 2 week old tank you likely do not have the demand to warrant any supplementation. There looks to be not much corraline, and you have no corals...

Also, purigen and chemipure last MUCH longer than 2 weeks...

Take it nice and slow.

I started with live rock and live sand

I bought a Hydor Koralia (240 GPH) and when I put it in the tank the clowns stopped swimming around and only stayed in the back where I'm assuming the current wasn't as strong. Anyway I took that out and they seem much happier. I still have it, but I think I might return it.

I mix Seachem Reef Plus and Ick Attack with my Brine Shrimp feeding mixture along with some garlic. This has trace minerals and coral sups. I plan on changing out my Chemi-P and Purigen every 3 months. There is actually a decent amount of corraline on the far right rock, the hermits tore into it and has been spreading around the tank ever since. I'm starting to see it on the large middle rock as well on the back of the far left rock. I will take your advice and keep it nice and slow. I had to get the clowns to show the wife that all the money was worth it :P

Had this snail in my freshwater tank, found it in the filter when cleaning, threw it in the saltwater tank and it is more active then ever. Just don't know the species.

It's a zebra nerite snail :) I have them in my freshwater tanks as well.

Rcplain123
I started with live rock and live sand

I bought a Hydor Koralia (240 GPH) and when I put it in the tank the clowns stopped swimming around and only stayed in the back where I'm assuming the current wasn't as strong. Anyway I took that out and they seem much happier. I still have it, but I think I might return it.

I mix Seachem Reef Plus and Ick Attack with my Brine Shrimp feeding mixture along with some garlic. This has trace minerals and coral sups. I plan on changing out my Chemi-P and Purigen every 3 months. There is actually a decent amount of corraline on the far right rock, the hermits tore into it and has been spreading around the tank ever since. I'm starting to see it on the large middle rock as well on the back of the far left rock. I will take your advice and keep it nice and slow. I had to get the clowns to show the wife that all the money was worth it :P

Why are adding Reef Plus if you don't have any corals? No point right?

Why are adding Reef Plus if you don't have any corals? No point right?

Yea, makes sense. I'm kinda just following a recipe from my LFS. I can nix the Reef Plus til I get some coral, unless its not going to harm the tank.

Rcplain123
Yea, makes since. I'm kinda just following a recipe from my LFS. I can nix the Reef Plus til I get some coral, unless its not going to harm the tank.

Extra nutrients aren't good. The corals you'll be getting at first (zoos and rics) don't need Reef Plus either. I don't think you need to worry about it until you get some LPS/SPS.

Extra nutrients aren't good. The corals you'll be getting at first (zoos and rics) don't need Reef Plus either. I don't think you need to worry about it until you get some LPS/SPS.

So while reading more on supplementing Coral Plus, I found that it is important for accelerated coralline algae growth. If I supplement Coral Plus, Carbon and keep my calcium levels above 400mg/L my coralline algae should grow much more rapid. I think I will continue on my path. Thanks for the advice though I wouldn't have learned what I did without your questions.

Why do you say the first coral I will get is a zoo or ric? I've spoke with many and nobody has said this. Is it what you started with? By the way I love your tank (the first pic in your thread).

Zoanthids and rics are really easy to keep. Also you can try Green Star polyps or something like a kenya tree. they are super asy too.

As for powerheads. the Koralia's are really nice. i have a 240 and 425 on my oceanic 29g biocube. they make good circulation in my tank.

One last note. since it is your first SW tank and you don't know everythng. i highly advise doing reasearch on anything you put in your tank before you do it. you got lucky with the zebra nerite and it's ability to be able to live in salt and fresh water environments.

• 2 months later...

Update: 08-09-11

So far things are going good. I haven't had any water spikes / issues. I do a bi-weekly water change of 10 gallons. It seems to keep everything where it needs to be.

The clowns I had are now gone (not dead), they got ick. I treated the tank for two weeks with "Ich Attack" and the white spots were all gone, so I traded them in for store credit and got my 10 gallons of saltwater and a koralia 425.

A couple weeks later I got a cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and more herms. Then let the tank sit for 7 weeks with no fish to rid the sand of ick. I recently got a six line wrasse, royal gramma and mandarin dragonet (sand & rocks at night are crawling with copapods). I also got a blueberry sea fan and a great deal on a Zoa rock.

Update2_FTS.jpg

Update2_WrasseandGrama.jpg

Update2_Wrasse.jpg

Update2_Zoas.jpg

Update2_Seafan.jpg

Update2_Mandarin.jpg

I need some help: I saw this on Monday and it has gotten much bigger. What the heck is it?

At first I thought it was this: http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=triteleg , but it doesn't look like a slug in any way. I have many sponges growing on the back of the main rock to the left. I thought it might be something on that level.

Update2_Problem1.jpg

Update2_Problem2.jpg

Update2_Problem3.jpg

Thanks in advance :D

Ooooo nice zoanthid rock, Eagle eyes and green crosettes it looks like.

you are probably maxed out on fish. especially with your Royal gramma. It will harass any new fish you introduce to your tank.

that thing doesnt look too bad. looks like a sponge, you can just pitch it if you are nervous about it.

also i would buy more copepods for your mandarin. they are actually very hard to keep in small tanks. you really need a very large to to naturally have enough pods for it to eat without supplement. unless that is that you got yours to eat frozen food.

speaking of frozen food, i would not use brine shrimp but mysis shrimp because it has more nutrition. PEmysis is what i use.

Ooooo nice zoanthid rock, Eagle eyes and green crosettes it looks like.

you are probably maxed out on fish. especially with your Royal gramma. It will harass any new fish you introduce to your tank.

that thing doesnt look too bad. looks like a sponge, you can just pitch it if you are nervous about it.

also i would buy more copepods for your mandarin. they are actually very hard to keep in small tanks. you really need a very large to to naturally have enough pods for it to eat without supplement. unless that is that you got yours to eat frozen food.

speaking of frozen food, i would not use brine shrimp but mysis shrimp because it has more nutrition. PEmysis is what i use.

Yea I got that rock for $12.99. I think I do need to supplement some copepods, I haven't seen any after this past week. I've heard that mysis is better from a lot of people. I'm finishing up my last couple cubes of the brine and switching over. I've got my LFS finding me a mated pair of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns and they are going to take my Gramma and Mandarin. I can't let go of the Wrasse, he's way too interesting to watch.

thats some nice rock!

Thanks. I was actually going to change up the tank today. I really need to clean the back wall and the back chambers.

Archived