SaltCritters.com

Coastie5685 29G Biocube thread...

Coastie5685

Coastie5685

So.. After approximately one year and a half with having my 90G I have decided to downgrade to a BC29.

With much time at work and planning on mOving out of the RENTS house, I wanted something smaller and a bit easier to move around with me.

Mind you. When I started this hobby over two years ago I began with a BC14 ...

DSCN0376.jpg

Then. Added a 3/5? Gallon pico...

DSCN0355.jpg

Then decided I wanted another downstairs...

DSCN0396-2.jpg

Yup a BC29.

Then decided. What the heck am I doing with three tanks? Sold all and setup the 90G...

c6779b25.jpg

Then I am here today, a BC29.

I will be transferring three of my fish to the BC29: my first clownfish, small blue hippo, and a small 6 line wrasse.

Most rock will be cleaned of all GHA and pests and placed into tank as well as live sand ( I added 40lbs to the 90G not even four months ago). I was looking to buy a clamp light such as the K2, or aqualight or even a sunpod but today I think I will just reuse the retro MH off the 90G. I ran 2x175w MH 14K Aquamaxx bulbs powered by icecap ballasts.

d814ad43.jpg

Thinking of taking one of these, create a box like pendant out of thin plywood, and make it a pendant using legs/braces to hang it over the BC29. It will be a single 175w halide and all I would really need to purchase in the near future is a bulb rather than a fixture.

Opinions??

Here she is...

cf481cdb.jpg

121cca98.jpg

Questions:

Which koralias should I use? I plan on selling the 2 K4 I have in the 90 to pay for possibly 1 K1? Maybe 2??

I used a submersible light bought form eBay back in the day when I had my old BC's. It was a small white plain bulb. Anyone know what I'm speaking of? Help me find it.

Plan on using Phosban reactor placin the pump in chamber one. Filled with BRS phosphate media.

Middle chamber. Cheato like the old days and a bag of carbon.

I plan on making this an SPS tank down the road as I have sold all softies and kept few LPS like duncans, acans, favia.

Lee Van Reef

Woah, whats up man? I didnt think i'd see you here instead of on the FMAS page over on RC

I see you ended up going with the biocube. That tank is going to be sweet!

Looks good so far except....

I will be transferring three of my fish to the BC29: my first clownfish, small blue hippo, and a small 6 line wrasse.

That is a no no.

Coastie5685

Hah I figured that was coming. I don't plan on having it for long in there. Just don't have enough in my to let the fish go just yet. You'll see. ;)

Woah, whats up man? I didnt think i'd see you here instead of on the FMAS page over on RC

I see you ended up going with the biocube. That tank is going to be sweet!

What's up man?? Yeah figured I would get more help on here as far as nanos go for the tank. It will be copies to RC shortly.

Coastie5685
like the setups whats your filtration on the pico tank under your biocube?

I no longer have that setup but when I did I uses stock filter, little purple one. Nothing crazy. It wasn't setup for very long.

Coastie5685

No carpenter but DIY pendant = done.

And filled the tank up with ten gallons of clean saltwater. Remaining water will be taken from the 90G.

Took sand from the 90G as well. Need more still but rocks were in the way.

a73875e4.jpg

c59f4256.jpg

3ca009cc.jpg

QUESTION: since I'm using the rock,sand, water from the 90G. Should I have a problem transferring all livestock/ coral the same day?

Isn't it amazing how tanks tend to "breed" when you get started? I have 6 at home of various sizes that have all made the full run between salt and fresh depending upon location. As a retired Coastie type :)..I understand the moving part. I still have my 75, a tank that is 15 yrs old, and has survived the "military movers" three times into three different states and even a cross country run.

If I am not mistaken, even using the substrate from the established tank, you are probably going to experience a slight hiccup in the natural filtration capability. If you can manage it, might want to wait a week or so, let the new tank "cook" a little before transferring the coral and fish. Obviously, do the water testing just to monitor.

Coastie5685

Lol. It's a mission moving these things and transferring. When I siphoned the sand out of the 90G water came with it. I drained all the water out of bucket before placing it into the biocube. The water was filled with detritus.

I cleaned all the rock in a bucket of RO to get rid of any loose detritus on it as well. RO was filthy too.

I'm sure I stirred up any phosphates and what not that was trapped under sand so I'll test water before transfer of livestock. Thanks!

What rate were you? Tlking1...

Lol. It's a mission moving these things and transferring. When I siphoned the sand out of the 90G water came with it. I drained all the water out of bucket before placing it into the biocube. The water was filled with detritus.

I cleaned all the rock in a bucket of RO to get rid of any loose detritus on it as well. RO was filthy too.

I'm sure I stirred up any phosphates and what not that was trapped under sand so I'll test water before transfer of livestock. Thanks!

What rate were you? Tlking1...

MST type :) retired 1 Nov 08 and now work, get this, at headquarters.

Coastie5685
MST type :) retired 1 Nov 08 and now work, get this, at headquarters.

Lol hey I'm sure it's a pretty good gig though.

Coastie5685

More tank shots...

afec4478.jpg

6da05b08.jpg

aa20bbff.jpg

Looking down...

74f59673.jpg

5ba26254.jpg

Running the carbon in TLF reactor. Going to put the bag of Chemi pure in middle chamber shortly.

dc3e2db7.jpg

aa3fe487.jpg

Sorry for quality. Taken on iPhone.

More tank shots...

Sorry for quality. Taken on iPhone.

Don't sweat it, so are mine :). I'll need to steal my wife's DSLR once the tank is up for some nice pics.

Coastie5685

Thanks man... I plan on switching to reef crystals by instant ocean rsther than using natural sea water...

• 1 month later...
Coastie5685

update. and a few pictures of the setup. i also have switched to red seas coral pro salt. trying it out to see how it works.

2011-07-18150438.jpg

2011-07-18150454.jpg

2011-07-18150513.jpg

2011-07-18150554.jpg

2011-07-18150302-1.jpg

Coastie5685

so ive got the jbj ATO in the mail on its way.

anyone with an ATO how can i set this thing up. i have a maxi jet 1200 that i use to currently mix my salt. i was going to use tubing to pump that up to the tank into the third chamber as that is where the sensors will be. worried about back siphoning. i know i can keep the hose out of the water or put check valve on tube...

hey man, I just took a look at your tank. Looks good, but I am curious what are the two lines coming out of the back right? are you running a sump or is that just a canister?

Coastie5685
hey man, I just took a look at your tank. Looks good, but I am curious what are the two lines coming out of the back right? are you running a sump or is that just a canister?

phosban reactor. I was able to fit the maxi jet into the first chamber. Ive got GFO running in it now. I switch on and off from GFO and Carbon.

Archived