Innovative Marine Aquariums

Walmart water results and instant ocean tested with api test kit.

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

This water sat in a bucket in darkness for 3 days.It was tested before adding and shows ammonia.

DSCF1532-1.jpg

carbon-mantis

Sitting in the bucket might have done it for the ammonia.

I've run their Culligan water(culligan tests seem to vary depending on location) through my school's TDS meter, came out 50 once at the very most. Always zero for phosphates, nitrate/trite, and ammonia.

Sitting in the bucket might have done it for the ammonia.

I've run their Culligan water(culligan tests seem to vary depending on location) through my school's TDS meter, came out 50 once at the very most. Always zero for phosphates, nitrate/trite, and ammonia.

This.

I have my own RO/DI unit, but on many occasions I've used various types of water sold at walmart and never had an issue.

Builder Anthony

It had a powerhead in it but no air pump.maybe ill test straight from the machine.Maybe no air is the problem.It was from the manual water machine.

Weetabix7

You tend to get worse results from the manual water machines.

I've been using the WalMart brand distilled water for a while and I just tested the recent batch with my TDS meter, came out around .8 TDS.

carbon-mantis
It had a powerhead in it but no air pump.maybe ill test straight from the machine.Maybe no air is the problem.It was from the manual water machine.

I'm thinking that bacteria from maybe the bucket or the powerhead transferred to the water and kicked off a cycle. From what I've seen, the TDS is low but not perfect, so it could contain enough nutrients to feed a bacterial bloom.

johnmaloney
You tend to get worse results from the manual water machines.

I've been using the WalMart brand distilled water for a while and I just tested the recent batch with my TDS meter, came out around .8 TDS.

+1 I got lazy about replacing a membrane and have just been buying the gallon jugs and they work fine I think. Probably some organic contaminant in the bucket, or landed in it.

cool looking picture op, I like it.

Archived