Pod Your Reef

420 nm LED's

Rabidgerbil38

Rabidgerbil38

So I've been looking around for a little while now and google seems to be producing no results. Dose anyone know where I could find some 420nm 3W LED's?

Rabidgerbil38
$5 each at Satisled.com, but keep in mind that they don't produce as much of the spectacular effect that we enjoy from actinic fluorescent bulbs like you'd think.

These are also 400-405nm, which is a bit lower than 420. I wouldn't know where to find the true 420's.

http://www.satisled.com/3w-high-power-uv-p...405nm_p285.html

Awesome, I want to use them as a moonlight so its not to much of a problem if they don't produce great color.

nanotuners.

You sure about that? I haven't seen any on there for a long time now, but I could be looking in the wrong section. Their menu system leaves much to be desired.. <_<

nanotuners.

nanotuners is not carrying them anymore. They ran out and never got them in stock again. Hopefully some day will be available again. I really love my 420's

Rabidgerbil38
nanotuners is not carrying them anymore. They ran out and never got them in stock again. Hopefully some day will be available again. I really love my 420's

This is what I thought. :tears:

BTW your cube is amazing Sammy. It was a big inspiration on my current build, have your corals been recovering well?

Beleive me, I'm still working on getting them back. It hasn't been easy. There is a large hole in the options between 400nm and 450nm. LEDs inside that range are very uncommon.

Were you looking for a light that has them? Our UV/TV diodes are 380-440nm, but unfortunately we don't sell them separately at this time.

Were you looking for a light that has them? Our UV/TV diodes are 380-440nm, but unfortunately we don't sell them separately at this time.

????

Mr. Microscope

380-440nm? That's a pretty big range. Do they cover that whole spectrum, or are they pin pointed somewhere in btween from LED to LED (binning)? 380 is near unseeable, and 440 is almost at the RB range.

380-440nm? That's a pretty big range. Do they cover that whole spectrum, or are they pin pointed somewhere in btween from LED to LED (binning)? 380 is near unseeable, and 440 is almost at the RB range.

LEDs don't have that wide of a spectral half width, unless they are using phosphors to modify the light, which these aren't. It's an LED with a 410nm dominant wavelength with maybe 10nm spectral half width at 50% (very typical range, and where every LED manufacturer measures from). That means the effective range is 400-420nm. They may be seeing trace readings (less than 1% of total output) at the extremes that they are claiming, but it's not worth taking into account anything below the 50% mark.

Mr. Microscope

Here's the spectral graph. Looks like it's peaking at about 400 and 450ish. Definitely not many counts at 420. 420 actually looks like the trough.

OrphekPR-ML7%20spectrum.JPG

I've also done the google search. The closest I've found were 5mm 420's. Not good enough for reefs.

That's the fixture spectrograph, so wavelengths are relatively compared.

Here is the actual emitter spectrograph:

Orphek-UV-Violet-Spectrograph.jpg

The peak is at 410 with 50% output at 390 and 420 (so enough UVA for fluorescence, and enough true violet to be seen), and appears violet to our eyes (see banner image in my sig). The trough in our PR-25UV fixture spectrograph is 430nm. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Rabidgerbil38

Sorry to raise this thread from the grave, but I recently ran across THIS by chance

There not 3w but I'm thinking they might work if I get enough of them

Rabidgerbil38

This place has 3w 420nm (or so they say), but there in china, and theres a minimum order of 100 pc...

not so good for me, maybe good for Evil though *hint* *hint* :P

I have a hard time trusting a company that lists a 420nm LED output in lumens. Should be measured in mW. Doesn't list a drive current either.

Rabidgerbil38

yeah thats what the "so they say" was about lol, but in all seriousness I think I'm gonna get a couple 1W's n see how they do

• 3 months later...
$5 each at Satisled.com, but keep in mind that they don't produce as much of the spectacular effect that we enjoy from actinic fluorescent bulbs like you'd think.

These are also 400-405nm, which is a bit lower than 420. I wouldn't know where to find the true 420's.

http://www.satisled.com/3w-high-power-uv-p...405nm_p285.html

Hey, I just found satisled has the 420nm here: http://www.satisled.com/1w-high-power-uv-p...420nm_p801.html

• 2 years later...

Archived