SaltCritters.com

thre3leven's 10G AGA [4/13/13 Tons of New Pics]

thre3leven

FTS 04/13/13

547063_553711411315613_757610162_n.jpg

Started with my 3 gallon Eclipse, but decided the 10 gallon in my bedroom would work out better.

Equipment: Updated 04/13/13

Livestock:

2 Clowns

Cleaner Shrimp

Peppermint Shrimp

Kenya Tree (Split Twice)

Assortment of Snails

Hardware:
Tank: 10 Gallon AGA
Powerhead: Maxi-Jet 600
Heater: Hydor 50W
Filtration: Aquaclear 30 w/Purigen, Carbon, and Phosban
Refugium: Aquaclear 70 Mod
Lighting: Current USA Nova Extreme 18"
Sand: Removed
Live Rock: 20lbs Cured Fiji from LFS

Tests and Chemical Additives:
API Test Kit (High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates)
Odyssea Hydrometer
API Stress Zyme+

Being that it is day one for the tank, I removed all but the floss/sponge in the AC30. I am keeping my Eclipse 3 gallon running at this time until I decide whether it will be converted into a refugium, a QT, or simply a second tank.

I know it is a lot of rock (singular) but I liked it, and plan on transferring it to a larger tank eventually.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think:

FTS 09/20/10

61343_154011004618991_459243_n.jpg

FTS 10/09/10

44928_158542787499146_2311397_n.jpg

33902_158542914165800_4408680_n.jpg

11/28/10

313147_299602770059813_1820305294_n.jpg

FTS 11/29/11 I was backpacking overseas from April 2011 to July 2012. This was a shot my dad sent me in November as reassurance the tank hadn't crashed.

392307_300167856669971_2045434854_n.jpg

I know it is a lot of rock (singular) but I liked it
If you like it, that's all that matters. I think it looks fine. People try to piece a bunch of smaller rocks into an island like that all the time. Hey, is saves time aquascaping. :)

I think it looks great! Depending on what you plan to use the tank for it has loads of room for corals and it should be easy to eliminate dead spots. The gaps on the bottom and back should give fish some place to hide as well. Have any livestock plans?

Thanks guys. To be honest, I walked into my LFS to pick up maybe 10lbs of live rock, you know to stay within budget (haha). This is the first rock I saw and immediately knew I needed it in the tank. As you guys said, It has the look that I would have tried to recreate with multiple rocks, but now I don't have to.

As for livestock, I haven't gotten there yet. The tank has the stock lighting, and I haven't even lifted the hood to see what it is, aside from being fluorescent. I want to keep some soft corals and maybe one or two fish, but until I have proper lighting I am not going to get too excited.

I feel I unfortunately discovered the obsession for this hobby too late. The reason I say that is, we are moving to Australia in April 2011, right about the time my tank is going to mature. So, I have every desire to jump in head first, but hesitate to fully stock the tank when I am going to have my parents/sister take care of it for the year I am gone.

The flipside is, when we move to Australia for the year, we are only bringing one suitcase. Basically starting with nothing. I have a feeling I will be starting a tank shortly after my arrival to keep me busy, as we will not have the normal stimulants ie: tv, ps3, etc...

I plan on doing a few upgrades and DIY projects and will keep you all posted with the tanks progress.

I plan on possibly modding an AC70 in due time, but in the meantime, would there be any harm in throwing some chaeto in an AC30 with lighting? Or should I just put it in the tank?

Thanks,

-Mike

Update 09/21/10: RIO 400 did what RIOs do best: stopped working. Pulled it apart, but did not find any apparent reason for failure. Fortunately, purchased it at a LFS that said to bring it on back and will exchange.

Was thinking of buying a Maxi-Jet 600 for the tank. Should I see if they will allow me to trade up, or exchange the RIO AND buy the Maxi-Jet 600, and put both in the 10 Gallon.

Went on a hunt for chaeto today: LFS said illegal to import in CA?! Off to check craigslist... or is there any one on here in the East Bay Area, CA looking to contribute?

EDIT: Came home from school and decided to try and tinker with RIO, now its back up and running. Should I still purchase the Maxi-Jet 600? I think there is enough flow between the RIO directed towards the surface along with the AquaClear. But that is my opinion. Also, my new additions. They haven't really learned about personal space yet:

59973_154258627927562_100000302763465_319834_2719997_n.jpg

Ok so no chaeto on craigslist thus far. At least locally.

Hoping there is someone local that has some extra in their tank.. going to post on NCRC. Also, any feedback on the placement between the AC30 or the tank in the meantime?

RIO made it through the night (surpisingly) but still looking for your opinions on whether to purchase and run it side by side with the Maxi-Jet 600, just the RIO, or just the Maxi.

I would think that just one of them is fine in a 10 gal (thats the tank I have with a k-something nano). I am also thinking of building a simple 3 gallon-ish fuge to plumb with my 10. Following to see how someone else does it!

Alright found some chaeto and stuffed it in my AC30 and threw on a light I had laying around. It's temporary, but working great. I will post pics later.

DIY Surface Skimmer (Aquaclear Attachment)

I was looking around the forums and discovered the Aquaclear Surface Skimmer Attachment. I looked it up and found some pictures and said: "Well that looks easy." (Which is saying a lot, because I am no handyman.)

That being said, I decided to try and build it from scratch. Here is what I used:

60345_154758561210902_100000302763465_321975_454180_n.jpg

Items purchased:

PVC pipe and misc parts

Fishing line (will explain purpose)

Suction cups

Rubber tubing

Here is it all assembled:

62903_154758581210900_100000302763465_321976_6775584_n.jpg

I removed the metal clips on the suction cups and planned on using the fishing line to secure them to the piping.

You could also silicone the cups to the piping.

After the dry run of assembling, I disassembled it all and cleaned it off, including removing stickers.

You will have to play around with piping size and see what works for your setup.

Due to a previous incident, one half of my U-tube for the Aquaclear was cracked. With the stock intake tubes it didn't cause an issue. When needing to shove the rubber tubing into the intake it began to split the crack more so I used the fishing line to wrap the intake tube in order to allow no room for expansion.

After shoving the rubber tubing up the U-tube intake I played around with the height of the skimmer. After some adjustments I got it right where I wanted it:

59913_154758617877563_100000302763465_321978_5435321_n.jpg

And here is the FTS showing the skimmer. Please excuse the mess, I mean RIO. :P

33931_154758601210898_100000302763465_321977_3993162_n.jpg

I ended up not using the suction cups I bought. I found an old heater clip that worked perfect to hold it in place.

It isn't good looking, it certainly isn't perfect, but it works. And if I could make it, I know you can too.

I didn't look around on the forum to see if someone else already did this DIY, or something similar, so if I stepped on any toes, sorry.

Total cost: $8.43 and less than 30 minutes to assemble and install.

Let me know what you guys think or if I forgot to explain anything. This is most certainly the beta version.

Temporary Refugium and Lighting

Finally found some chaeto and threw it in my AC30 until I purchase and mod the AC70 or convert my Eclipse 3G into a fuge. I used the light from my BiUbe and used a coaster rack to place it on. There is light bleeding into the tank, but it is still early in the cycle, and well, that doesn't really matter too much. On to the pictures...

63002_154768397876585_100000302763465_322019_639075_n.jpg

33482_154768414543250_100000302763465_322020_3995402_n.jpg

60142_154768417876583_100000302763465_322021_1761694_n.jpg

And also, and updated picture of the Eclipse:

33754_154768421209916_100000302763465_322022_6621095_n.jpg

WOW i really like the skimmer and if i may be so blod i may opt to use your idea on a future tank ... i really like it.... just one question how is the noise from it.. i have not seen one of these live before and always wondered.....

tank is really coming along nice.... as for light bleeding i wonder if using a piece of painted acrylic or some heavy plastic (report cover etc...) could be used to cut it back? just an idea

WOW i really like the skimmer and if i may be so blod i may opt to use your idea on a future tank ... i really like it.... just one question how is the noise from it.. i have not seen one of these live before and always wondered.....

tank is really coming along nice.... as for light bleeding i wonder if using a piece of painted acrylic or some heavy plastic (report cover etc...) could be used to cut it back? just an idea

There is no additional noise coming from it unless it catches an air bubble (rare). I will take some video tonight and post it so you can hear everything running.

Two things I thought of while sleeping:

One: I am going to try a T split and run the normal filter extension that goes into the tank and run that parallel to the bottom. That way it is hidden behind the rock and also picking up any particles that the surface skimmer half isn't.

I don't know if the AC30 will have the power to pull from both extensions. Will report. The good thing about the PVC is I haven't had to glue anything, so they are essentially like legos. If you don't like the way the design is going, you can easily take it apart and start over in 10 seconds.

Two: I threw in some filter floss (quarter size) in the intake tube opening. One of my snails was trying to commit suicide, so the floss is just good measure in hopes of keeping him from being sucked in, while also created a little more filtration.

As for light bleeding... I first tried foil wrapping everything: the AC30, the hood, the back of the tank. Still had a lot of light bleeding. The only way the effectively eliminate the bleeding is to paint the entire exterior of the AC, and cover the back of the tank, etc. I don't have a lunar light or moonlight setup yet (saving up for new fixture before spending and money on existing one) so for now I am just pretending the bleeding light is my lunar light. Ha ha.

Also, I intend of extended the teeth on the intake, but all I had for tools was a pair of snips/dikes. It is possible to go that route but it would be much easier to run it over a table saw. If you mess up, the tubing is 29 cents.

If you have any other questions please ask. I am no expert, but I will pass on any information that I can.

This weekend should be full of updates as I am going to try and streamline/modify the skimmer.

I am also looking into a DIY rimless refugium. I was going to/might use my Eclipse 3 Gallon as the fuge but am somewhat limited with the hood design. Anything I do venture to try will be posted on here.

I convinced my LFS to let me trade-up the RIO for the Maxi-Jet 600. Does anyone on here have a 20" fixture they are willing to part with?

Great looking set up, I am definitely following...

But i am still confused about the skimmer lol how does it work?

In short, it creates a whirlpool at or just below the surface, attracting and capturing all impurities on the surface. It is not a protein skimmer. That is a whole different game. The suction is created by the Aquaclear filter. After being sucked in the water passes through whatever media you have in you filter. For example, I am just using filter floss right now, but you can have your sponge/floss, carbon, purigen etc. Then the filtered water dumps back into the tank and the cycle continues.

I don't know if I answered your question... if not let me know.

OOHHHHH ok I get it now, I thought it was a protein skimmer. That is pretty cool! I am thinking of building a sump myself. I was thinking of using a 3 or 5 gallon tank for my 20L. The only problem is, is that I understand everything in the build and compartments and all, but I dont understand how I am supposed to get the water from the tank to the sump and back and not overflow or spill out.

If you could help me out with that I would gladly appreciate it. Either way your tank is lookin good and its nice to see people from the bay on here! :happydance:

OOHHHHH ok I get it now, I thought it was a protein skimmer. That is pretty cool! I am thinking of building a sump myself. I was thinking of using a 3 or 5 gallon tank for my 20L. The only problem is, is that I understand everything in the build and compartments and all, but I dont understand how I am supposed to get the water from the tank to the sump and back and not overflow or spill out.

If you could help me out with that I would gladly appreciate it. Either way your tank is lookin good and its nice to see people from the bay on here! :happydance:

I haven't put too much thought into a sump yet myself, as I don't have the room right now. Until I do, I will have to look at the ugly equipment in my display tank. :angry:

When I do set up a sump, the best way I have found to avoid a flood is to use a U-Tube to syphon the water to the sump. Then drill a hole about and inch or so lower than the water line. If the return pump fails and the water level goes below the hole, and the siphon will break. No siphon, no flood.

I am sure there are better systems, but this is the best one I have seen without doing too much research.

Where in the bay are you?

Update:

Tried a few different versions of the surface skimmer. Going to wait to see how well the new version works before posting the design. So far I am pleased with it.

Purchased a few things this evening.

• Current USA Nova Extreme 18"
  • Aquaclear 70
  • Maxi-Jet 600

Grand total: $110.00

Now I get to watch the mailbox until it all arrives. :eek:

Update:

Tried a few different versions of the surface skimmer. Going to wait to see how well the new version works before posting the design. So far I am pleased with it.

Purchased a few things this evening.

• Current USA Nova Extreme 18"
  • Aquaclear 70
  • Maxi-Jet 600

Grand total: $110.00

Now I get to watch the mailbox until it all arrives. :eek:

Where u movin to in australia PS that big rock looks nasty

Where u movin to in australia PS that big rock looks nasty

Ideally gold coast or sunshine coast. Brisbane is appealing when we will be job hunting, but I want something a little out of the city, on the coast. In all reality, I don't care where we end up, I will be happy.

Any suggestions? You live there, or have been there?

Archived