Pod Your Reef

What is the brown stuff coming out of my hammer coral's mouth?

Freakin

I noticed a few of my hammer heads had some brown stringy stuff coming out of their mouth. This isn't night time sweeper tentacles (which I have heard hardly anyone actually sees). This was the middle of the light cycle.

I added my first dose of Vodka tonight after dosing MB7 for two weeks to boost bacteria. The BC29 got 0.1mL of 80 proof vodka about 30-60 minutes before I noticed this occurring. I am following http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Here is the brown stuff

photo3yd.th.jpg

Several heads had similar stuff coming out but it was certainly not all of them.

A small section of the stuff (~.75") is now detached and floating around the tank.

Tank params are all within normal ranges, with PH a bit low and detectable levels of NO3 and PO4. I'm dosing Vodka to reduce nitrates and phosphates and hopefully clean up the last of the GHA I inherited with the tank. Yes, I run a skimmer.

PH: 8.05

Temp: 79-80F

NH3:0

NO2:0

NO3: 2.5-12.5

PO4: .5

Ca: 460

Mg: 1250-1300

I fed a small amount of cyclopeeze to the tank yesterday, which is only the second time I have done that. It was well-received by the reef inhabitants.

Is this normal or ok for LPS? I assume it is a direct result of the vodka dosing.

FrankenReef

Aw sh#@!!! Corals pooping all over the place!lol. I wouldn't worry about it.Pour the vodka in some OJ. All LPS does it. I understand the scare with you just starting vodka though.

Im guessing you are pretty new if you have never seen a coral poop before. I would be careful dosing vodka, especially in a nano system where overdosing can easily occur.

Im guessing you are pretty new if you have never seen a coral poop before. I would be careful dosing vodka, especially in a nano system where overdosing can easily occur.

Yeah only 2 months into the hobby, been reading the forum daily for about 6 months more than that.

I'm going extremely slow with the vodka dosing. I'm going to do 50-75% of what I should be dosing to play it safe. After buying a year old established tank I am just adding livestock after 2 months, so I have no problem taking time to get the right vodka dose dialed in.

I will probably end up building a nano media reactor for chamber 2 and using pellets instead when I find a little free time.

Archived