Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

making the AC70 into a surface skimmer

Reef_surfer

Reef_surfer

just thought i would share a couple pics of a AC70 i modded. i added a surface skimmer to the intake.

materials needed;

knife

3/4" 90 degree PVC

3/4" T PVC

basically cut the intake to shorten the length to fit.

insert T Coupling. cut second piece to fit the 90 and T together

add filter peice to end of 90

DSC03560.jpg

just thought i would share a couple pics of a AC70 i modded. i added a surface skimmer to the intake.

materials needed;

knife

3/4" 90 degree PVC

3/4" T PVC

basically cut the intake to shorten the length to fit.

insert T Coupling. cut second piece to fit the 90 and T together

add filter peice to end of 90

DSC03560.jpg

Interesting. I have been looking for the surface skimmer addon to AC filters but it seems they dont make them anymore or that most places dont carry them. What is going on with the bottom of the T though? Do you have an screen or something over it so it doesnt suck random crap up?

AFRobert568

I think I'm headed to the hardware store. I bought the attachment from fluval and now I have more filter crap in my tank the livestock. This will definitely clean things up.

Reef_surfer

it actually works really well. ATM I dont have anything under the T. I'm looking for another filter end from an old AC70 that I can cut and match up. I've also done it without the T basically two 90's fit together but I wanted the added filtration from the bottom.

was thinking of doing something similar for my AC110. But is a pain during waters changes? I feel like it need to be turned off to prevent the AC from sucking in tons of bubbles

BLoCkCliMbeR
Interesting. I have been looking for the surface skimmer addon to AC filters but it seems they dont make them anymore or that most places dont carry them. What is going on with the bottom of the T though? Do you have an screen or something over it so it doesnt suck random crap up?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...fm?pcatid=12703

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ed=0CBoQ8wIwAA#

Archived