Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

8.5 Gallon Do!Aqua

Zo0k365

Okay, so my previous tank was kinda over run by damn vermetid snails :rant: When that happens you either have to keep looking at the stupid web like strings all over your rock that irritates coral every time the sand is mixed a little... or throw in the towel and dry it all out. so I ended up throwing in the towel and drying allll the nice coraline and coral (zoas I couldn't remove here and there) covered rock out in the sun and starting from scratch. I tore down the whole tank and stored the livestock I saved in another tank. I decided I wanted to go for simplicity in a small tank (as many others do) because the tank will be moved from Cape Cod to central Mass and back again... EVERY YEAR. It's a real headache and I only want to try and make it a little bit easier :P Since this will be my second tank and I have already experienced the obligatory "poor purchasing of the first tank syndrome" I at least now know what to buy and where to buy it!

Current equipment:

Odyssea 325 gph canister filter-45$+shipping

Do!Aqua 8.5 gallon rimless aquarium-55$+shipping

18" 40 watt Nova Extreme T5 fixture-50$+shipping

12 watt Ecoxotic Panorama LED-85$ w/shipping

70W Fishneedit MH w/ 13k Aqualine 70W bulb

Hydor inline heater-25$+shipping

DIY ato

I'm running filter floss and chemi-pure elite in the filter as of now.

Current livestock:

About 7 pounds of live rock (already had)

About 10 pounds of live sand (already had)

Inverts:

Rose bubble tip anemone

Green striped flower anemone

3 sand sifting sea cucumbers

Porcelain crab

Green emerald crab

2 nano Florida sponges

Harlequin serpent starfish

Red brittle starfish

2 Astrea snails

4 unidentified pink-footed snails

Fighting conch

2 hermit crabs (devils I tell you)

2 mini carpet anemones (the common kind)

Purple bryozoans

white and purple feather duster

Fish:

Pearly Jawfish

Coral:

Purple Sea whip gorg

Yellow sea whip gorg

Yellow eyed zoanthids

Electric Blue zoanthids

Green People eaters

Other random zoas

Red brain coral

3 Rainbow acans

Various other types of acans

Duncan

Rainbow monti

Sunset monti

Sandom green monti

Purple monti cap

blue undata

olive monti with purple polyps

Orange monti cap

ORA Birds of Paradise

ORA Red Planet

ORA Roscoe's Blue acro

GSP

Metallic orange plate coral

Orange ricordea

Superman mushroom

Green and blue mushroom

Purple tabling acropora

tri-color acropora

Various other monti and acros

I have plans for sum phish

The tank

IMGP0333.jpg

Awaiting use

IMGP0329.jpg

The tank as of today (updated with each new FTS)

IMGP1502.jpg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm what kind of water is that? Spring water generally doesn't quite cut the mustard, which could explain the byropsis.

Of course, I can't really see the jugs that well, so I don't mean to sound accusatory or any thing of the like. I just figured I'd ask.

Besides that, the tank looks farkin' awesome, I can't wait to see it running.

Hmmm what kind of water is that? Spring water generally doesn't quite cut the mustard, which could explain the byropsis.

Of course, I can't really see the jugs that well, so I don't mean to sound accusatory or any thing of the like. I just figured I'd ask.

Besides that, the tank looks farkin' awesome, I can't wait to see it running.

Haha no my tap water can explain the bryopsis... It's actually distilled Poland Springs water.

I'll add to the list.

Thanks, seems a lot of people are suddenly getting interested in ADA/ADA style tanks! Lol I've wanted one for a reaaaally long time.

Also I tested the Poland Springs distilled water with a TDS meter and it read a dead zero! Looks like it's good to go. :D

Thanks, seems a lot of people are suddenly getting interested in ADA/ADA style tanks! Lol I've wanted one for a reaaaally long time.

Lol it seems like ADA is the new standard for nano aquariums. Tank is looking good BTW

Lol it seems like ADA is the new standard for nano aquariums. Tank is looking good BTW

HA I doubt they will ever get as popular as the AIO cubes that everyone loves or those 3g picos. Personally I hate the cubes...but it's all a matter of preference.

I hate cubes too

ANTI CUBE THREAD. Lol jk I'd like get banned so many people have them. I guess they're efficient and that's why people like them. Definitely good starter tanks.

Meh, I need to get TOTM before mine is an exception, and I need to get it before I got to college. Hmmmm

So anyway, this tanks gonna be nice...probably TOTM...yadda yadda yadda :P

So anyway, this tanks gonna be nice...probably TOTM...yadda yadda yadda :P

pffffffft OBVIOUSLY.

I mean... all my tanks should be.... :haha:

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update. Just building up cuc and such. I want to either make a large order of coral or drive to Tropic Isle for some fish which is like 40 minutes from my house.

Updated FTS

IMGP0405.jpg

Beatrix has been keeping up with the sand bed so far. It came from my previous tank.

IMGP0397.jpg

And this is a paly that I kinda want to know what kind it is.

IMGP0493-1.jpg

it looks close to a toxic lava people eater. I cant really tell because the colors are washed out in the picture, but its close to whats in my sig

i know it doesnt show the speckling like mine, but the mother colony that my frag came from has patterns just like those

AdrianBryce

Very nice. That is a sweet paly too. I know what you mean about the ADA's. I have one on my shopping list as well.

Well that paly was actually quit the surprise! It went through a huge transformation.

When I first got them they looked like poop.. hence their hefty 10 dollar cost.

IMGP2165.jpg

Then they gradually turned into these :)

IMGP0148.jpg

And now they're looking even better!

Also, I applied for an internship at Woodshole Oceanographic Institute and got in! Apparently over 300 people applied and only 4 were accepted and I was one of them. I get to take care of their aquariums! I will also be going on expeditions to collect specimens and whatnot. Should be an interesting connection to have. Lol maybe I'll be able to convince them to let me set up a reef for them.

Also, I applied for an internship at Woodshole Oceanographic Institute and got in! Apparently over 300 people applied and only 4 were accepted and I was one of them. I get to take care of their aquariums! I will also be going on expeditions to collect specimens and whatnot. Should be an interesting connection to have. Lol maybe I'll be able to convince them to let me set up a reef for them.

Congratulations :naughtydance::owned::naughtydance: That's some great news. I took a couple of classes at the Steven Birch Aquarium in SD and it's pretty interesting when you can get behind the scenes.

Nice scape in the Do!aqua

Thanks! should be a lot of fun.

Anyway the tank is coming along really well. I am amazed at the growth that I am noticing in the the what? Half a month it's been set up? 13 days ago I re-did the tubing and painted it black and it already has coraline growing on it... it's a little nuts.

13 days I tell you!

IMGP0488.jpg

I can even see noticeable growth on the purple gorgonian on a new branch.

I also modified the light so it actually has a clamp neck. It no longer has to sit on the tank and it looks a lot cleaner now. Very happy with it. Also, pics

FTS

IMGP0473.jpg

crazy surface tension

IMGP0475.jpg

So this is all there is for as far as equipment. It's a canister, light, inline heater, and diy ato.

IMGP0481-1.jpg

I think you got a nice setup here, but you should think of a way to suspend those lines coming to and fro the canister so they don't kink. It'll give you a little piece of mind if they're secured properly.

Archived