Innovative Marine Aquariums

My $3.88 solar moonlights

fishdaddy0831

fishdaddy0831

I know this has been done many times before, but here is my quick and easy DIY cheap solar moonlight.

One less powercord!

LED.jpg

MLprice.jpg

MLLED.jpg

SolarML.jpg

GutsML.jpg

I drilled a little hole for the LED, and just placed it into my 70w MH from Fishneedit.com there was plenty of room. There is enough spillover light inside the hood that it charges the solar battery.

Moonlight.jpg

I had a hard time taking a good picture in the dark. This one shows the moonlight to be much brighter then it is, but its the best I could do with my camera. I love it off to the side. I have the LED angled at the center, and it looks like very subtle moonlight.

MLtankshot.jpg

I know this has been done many times before, but here is my quick and easy DIY cheap solar moonlight.

One less powercord!

LED.jpg

MLprice.jpg

MLLED.jpg

SolarML.jpg

GutsML.jpg

I drilled a little hole for the LED, and just placed it into my 70w MH from Fishneedit.com there was plenty of room. There is enough spillover light inside the hood that it charges the solar battery.

Moonlight.jpg

I had a hard time taking a good picture in the dark. This one shows the moonlight to be much brighter then it is, but its the best I could do with my camera. I love it off to the side. I have the LED angled at the center, and it looks like very subtle moonlight.

MLtankshot.jpg

that's actually pretty cool!

fishdaddy0831
i tried this once but i had a hard time keeping the battery charged

What lighting did you have? My solar is about 4" from a 70w MH and the LED is just as bright in the morning as it is when it first turns on.

Straightup GENIOUS!!! omgomgomg

I wish I could take credit. I know someone posted this years ago on these forums.

I wish the picture did a better job of showing what it really looks like. It's bright enough I can see alot going on, but my corals still close up.

fishdaddy0831
where could I find such solar moonlight? Lowes? Home Depot? Wallyworld?

I got that one from Lowes just a couple days ago. At $3.88 I couldn't pass it up.

i tried this once but i had a hard time keeping the battery charged

You can replace the battery that comes with it. Any rechargable AAA battery will work.

Sorry for going off topic, but how do you like the fishneedit fixture? I was planning on maybe using it on my 24 instead of LEDs since it's a lot cheaper.

fishdaddy0831
Sorry for going off topic, but how do you like the fishneedit fixture? I was planning on maybe using it on my 24 instead of LEDs since it's a lot cheaper.

I like it. Works great, looks great and I like the look of the 20k bulb it came with. However when you handle it you can tell it's a 100 dollar light, but I would buy it again.

coolwaters

u spent that much for a 20 cent LED O.o?

lol jk no maintenance LED. i like the idea.

if u can just swap it out for a blue LED.

This was an awesome idea thank you. I just set one up for my Pico. I like the nice shimmer effect at night, it was always black and looked forlorn at night. Mine was $2.29 though. :P

I thought of trying this before, but at the time, most of the ones I found didn't last too long after "dusk". Perhaps they're using the more efficient solar panel tech that's come out the past few years, but I think they also never used LEDs back then.

Just bought a 6x54w TEK fixture for the frag tank that doesn't come with moonlights, so think I might just have to make a trip to Lowes to try one out for myself.

Looking at it, it uses 1 AAA batt? I bet you could mod in a 2xAAA or AA battery holder for a bit longer charge holding power, if the charging circuit could handle it.

Reefmonster

I just got a whole pack of these LED lights for my yard from Lowe's for $9. It's the Memorial Day Sale!

Archived