Top Shelf Aquatics

Goniopora polyformis

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

I see the "impossible" to keep as a challenge, I have what I've found to be the recommended setup(which I have): No Mechanical filtration, deep sand bed, decent amount of LR (25-30lb fancy branched w/ lots of secluded pod spots & 10-15lb of base), no skimmer, etc...

30g tank 14g fuge w/ cheato.

So anyone who has had even moderate success, what do you recommend? I've heard in a few places our (reef tank) water may not be dirty enough for them to survive, I have TONS of pods, should I reduce my water changes to only when the parameters require it?

danthenewreefman

By the way, its my avatar if you want a pic...

its just so dang purty, opened up within 5 minutes of being in tank after being in a box (shipping) for almost 24hours.

i've had my red goni over a year, it's an easy coral IMO, it like's a PAR between 100 and 200, which is lower to mid light

if your goni is receeding feed it phytoplankton, oyster eggs and rotifers, i've found great feeding response from my goni with Rotifer's

i've fragged my goni 3 times without issue and i would consider it an easy coral to keep, not sure why most say it is hard, i've never had a hard time keeping mine happy although spot feeding it the first 3 months it was in my new system helped out a ton with keeping it from receeding and getting it to grow and thrive

Ive had a green one for a few months, it does pretty well in a 15 gallon nano. Lol, it eats the same thing the fish eat; formula one. So far it's been doing well.

It looks beautiful.

I have red goni that's done fine for almost a year now. Sits about 10" under a 4X24 T5.

I see the "impossible" to keep as a challenge,

I understand that mentality, but for these green gonipora, I personally would not take that stance. They tend to be "mystical" in their requirements--- what works in one system doesn't seem to work at all in another.

I personally consider corals that have special, well-known, but tedious, requirements to be a "challenge"--- like some non photosynthetic corals that have to be fed a lot.

But I don't consider the green goniopora varieities to be a challenge: I consider them to be contraban. We just don't know, yet, their needs. They are imported so often and almost always die---- I would rather not support the importation of this animal.

That being said, I'd buy a captive-reared green RIGHT NOW if I could find one locally. It's been done (read Calfo's book). But I'd not buy a wild caught green goni.

Look into dosing iron: I have read (I think it was Craig Bingman or Eric Borneman) an article that recommended highly that iron be dosed for these greens.

danthenewreefman
It looks beautiful.

I have red goni that's done fine for almost a year now. Sits about 10" under a 4X24 T5.

I understand that mentality, but for these green gonipora, I personally would not take that stance. They tend to be "mystical" in their requirements--- what works in one system doesn't seem to work at all in another.

I personally consider corals that have special, well-known, but tedious, requirements to be a "challenge"--- like some non photosynthetic corals that have to be fed a lot.

It came as a "free" if you buy this pack deal, I wanted the favia it came with it, but I will strive to take the best care possible for it, thank you for the info. ("free" along with a dendro & some blue/green clove)

He is 12inches under 4-36" T5, so maybe there is a little hope there. I see them open and close regularly like they're eating something but can't see it (lot of tiny pods in tank).

Of what I've read I'm matching up with their tanks, but all (like you said) indicated these successes couldn't be duplicated on a regular basis.

But I don't consider the green goniopora varieities to be a challenge: I consider them to be contraban. We just don't know, yet, their needs. They are imported so often and almost always die---- I would rather not support the importation of this animal.

That being said, I'd buy a captive-reared green RIGHT NOW if I could find one locally. It's been done (read Calfo's book). But I'd not buy a wild caught green goni.

Look into dosing iron: I have read (I think it was Craig Bingman or Eric Borneman) an article that recommended highly that iron be dosed for these greens.

It came as a "free" if you buy this pack deal, I wanted the favia it came with it, but I will strive to take the best care possible for it, thank you for the info. ("free" along with a dendro & some blue/green clove)

He is 12inches under 4-36" T5, so maybe there is a little hope there. I see them open and close regularly like they're eating something but can't see it (lot of tiny pods in tank).

Of what I've read I'm matching up with their tanks, but all (like you said) indicated these successes couldn't be duplicated on a regular basis. They look happy and swollen like they've been eating, but I know death is a slow process.

I'll look into these authors, anyone else got ideas on research?

i've always read to spot feed them, I do that with mine, mostly mysis/cyclops, seems to be fine so far! I've had it about 8 months. fingerscrossed

I keep goniopora and alveopora and they seem to be doing well. At least my alveopora is growing new heads and extending well. I feed a lot of food each day though and use my skimmer only about one hour per day, sometimes I skip days. I have no nitrates detectible either.

Pods are ok but the coral does not always catch them. It's best to feed with proper food. I have tons of pods too but never seen any of these eat pods. I give Fauna Marin Ultra Seafan, Ultra Min F, golden pearl from 5 to 100 microns, DT live phyto, rotifeast, oysterfeast, chromaplex, frozen cyclopeeze and I probably forgetting some. I feed 2 time per days, small amount as I have gorgonians that are not photosynthetic, flame scallop, sponge and feather duster. I do water change 10% per 3 weeks or per month and they HATE water change. Each time I do a water change they extend less and sometime that last for a few days and sometimes they bearely come out for a few days.

I don't think they can live on pods alone, they need food and rich water. Can you provide that?

If you want impossible, try a blueberry gorgonian! I could not save mine with all this food (maybe it was sick) but I do have succes with other like the yellow gorgonian which is actualy having new growth.

They do not pulse like xenia.

I see the "impossible" to keep as a challenge, I have what I've found to be the recommended setup(which I have): No Mechanical filtration, deep sand bed, decent amount of LR (25-30lb fancy branched w/ lots of secluded pod spots & 10-15lb of base), no skimmer, etc...

30g tank 14g fuge w/ cheato.

So anyone who has had even moderate success, what do you recommend? I've heard in a few places our (reef tank) water may not be dirty enough for them to survive, I have TONS of pods, should I reduce my water changes to only when the parameters require it?

Try using a mortar and pestle to grind up a scrap of silverside. Grind it as small as you can get it, as liquid as you can get it.

Mix it with tank water and (if you have it) Selcon.

Puff this cloudy stuff GENTLY onto the goniopora. Mine LOVES this. I get a much stronger feeding response with ground silverside than with any other food I've tried. Not sure why--- this isn't really a natural food for them.

danthenewreefman

Not a frequent constant pulse, more of a hey I just caught something let me close the tentacles around the polyp head and drop the polyp back down into the body. Slower than a "scared" draw back, and only 1 polyp at a time.

no nothing like xenia

Its almost like the mysis are too big, so I'll try the cyclops. About the water change, you're 100% correct, 10g water change a few days ago, he hasn't been out like he used to be.

Thats why I originally asked should I limit my water changes to just when the parameters require it. All my other coral are favia and one dendro, so they'll probably be cool with slightly less than ideal water, if that'll make the goinopora happy.

danthenewreefman
Is there a common name for this coral?

Everytime I see the title name, I think of some STD or somethin'! :lol:

Green Flower Pot coral? I guess...

just from the species name "Poly-formis" I'm guessing that means (in latin) multiple forms? So probably why not common names used for this species....Poly-many formis-forms? I dunno, just a guess.

danthenewreefman

I couldn't buy the other foods yet...

But I shaved a cube of mysis really fine, and gave him a couple poofs with everything off and it defiantly ate, I probably managed to get half the heads fed.

Really swollen after eating it seems.

On a funny note, one of the polyps obviously got a big piece and closed, trying to get it all....but didn't get nearly all of it so its bud has about a cm of mysis sticking out... I wonder if he'll suck it in?

danthenewreefman

He is looking REALLY happy today!!! Was super swollen all over until the lights turned on, and as soon as it did every single polyp opened up, and they're much more colorful than yesterday....

The polyps didn't extend, in the 2 minutes I watched right after lights on... but there were all open pointed to the lights and the colors on each polyps "petal" was more vibrant.

I got paid today, so I'mma get the cyclops and rotifiers hopefully today.

danthenewreefman

BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS!!!

Really seems to like the shaved mysis, but again... I'mma get those other two foods tonight.

I think its growing new polyps? Some tiny ones growing over where it was cut already! You can see one especially good in the second photo.

You can see a piece of mysis still hanging out of one polyp on the right side. These photos were taking no more than 15 minutes apart, right before feeding and 10 minutes after being fed!

Rotifers would be the best food i've found for my goni, it swells up nicely when i feed this

Comparable in swelling?

danthenewreefman

after one feeding of the cyclo-peeze, I have to say the shaved mysis had a stronger feeding response. Now this is only after one try, and both were done in the same day. I will keep alternating to find the best for him.

Archived