SaltCritters.com

ORA Announces Captive Bred Mandarins

zook

For many years marine aquarium hobbyists have been captivated by the exquisite beauty of Mandarin Gobies (actually Dragonettes). Their popularity, however, is tempered by the fact that they are difficult to feed in captivity and are subject to questionable collection practices in the wild. Unfortunately, most Mandarins succumb to starvation in home aquariums, even with the best intentions and attempts at feeding. Thankfully, all of that is about to change.

ORA biologists have succeeded in developing the methods needed to breed and raise commercial numbers of the two species of Mandarins, the Blue Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) and the Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). Building on the early success of breeders such as Julian Sprung, Wolfgang Mai, and more recently Matt Wittenrich, ORA is now poised to have commercially bred Mandarins available to everyone. The significance of this cannot be understated as it is a major advance in marine aquaculture and solves many of the problems associated with keeping these species.

Just as the first captive bred Seahorses were trained to eat frozen foods, ORA has already trained our baby Mandarins to eat commercially available frozen diets. This fact alone makes them easy to feed and care for, and the average aquarist will delight in not having to worry about sources of live food for their finicky eaters. Our goal is to have them soon weaned onto a pellet diet. We expect to have these fish eating pelletized foods before being released for sale.

ORA is the leader in bringing the marine aquarium industry new and exciting aquacultured species. With the addition of Mandarins to our ever-growing list, a major milestone in aquaculture has been achieved. We are sure that our retail customers and hobbyists alike will be elated that captive raised Mandarins are finally available and that a page has been turned in the tragic history of this beloved aquarium fish.

We expect to have significant numbers of Spotted Mandarins available this summer. Blue and Red Mandarins will be available in more limited quantities around the same time.

ora_blue_two_2.jpg

ora_spotted.jpg

Link

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! You don't even know how excited I am about this! I've got to talk to my LFS about stocking these as soon as they are available.

Zook do you have a link to the article or where you got this info from?

Thanks for sharing such an amazing breakthrough in the hobby

I can't wait to get one for my biocube 14. This is the only way I'd get one for this tank. What do you guys think they'll cost?

Hopefully it will be in that range. I'd pay more to but I don't want to. Hopefully this will stop the wild manderins from being captured to be starved to death.

too bad these are going to be sold out for a year after they hit the market. oh well.

Way to poop on this threads excitement.

Plenty of us will still get them though, thats how they get sold out in the first place.

(Waiting for usual Dhaut smart butt/insulting reply)

I don't see What the big deal is. I have one and it eats tigger pods. It won't eat mysis but I put the pods in and he feeds himself. I like it better that way

Damsels R Cool
:) thats what my LFS had man i love living in FLA a coupple of weeks they had 2 tanks loaded with mandarins thhat were about 1" long all were eating and they had them for $8 i'm going to ask them if they were from ORA

$8 from ORA........doubtful.

Not knocking them, they do great stuff and I have some of their clowns but inexpensive and ORA don't compute.

Chris

I'd expect them to be around $30-$50.....I'd pay more though just for the fact that they will eat prepared food.

I would too. This is freaking awesome.

skimmerdude

I'm half way around the world away from my wife, my tank (being "cared for" by my wife), my cat, and the language barrier is becoming exhausting, I logged onto nano-reef looking for some good news . . .

. . . this will definitely do as far as good news goes.

I am thinking of a SWEEEET mandarin nano tank with SWEEEEEET led lights and a bunch of ORA coral.

I can't wait to have a mated pair of mandarins eating pellets. WOW!!!!!!!!

Archived