Top Shelf Aquatics

Ecoreef One

Jake Adams

5 gallons, 6 months old. No live rock, no live sand. No skimmer, no additives, no testing. Small internal filter, Nano Customs 15 watt PAR 38 LED spotlight and ESV B-ionic Seawater.

reeftankguy
No live rock,

Sweet tank... Is that an ADA Cube?

Side note: There is some live rock in there...Thats what some of those Corals are attached too ;)

Sweet tank... Is that an ADA Cube?

Side note: There is some live rock in there...Thats what some of those Corals are attached too ;)

Yes this is an ADA Mini-S. The entire structure is ceramic and you'd be hard pressed to chip off more than one ounce of rubble from the coral bases. All the LPS were groomed to the skeleton to reduce undesired hitchikers. The only substrate is a growing graveyard of starfish bones from feeding the pair of Harlequin shrimp.

:lol: There are so many people who think you have no flow in your tank. The internal filter is the only water movement, and it's certainly not the tidal storm of flow we are acustomed to. Having seen this tank in person (even when dirty ;)), I can say that it is very sweet. Very well thought out.

Glad to see you over here Jake.

Clive

Of course the tank has flow, I just turned it off for the video. I completed a full article with more pics of this tank to be featured in the next Advanced Aquarist online magazine.

AdriftQuasar

That's a pretty fantastic tank! It's so weird to see so little flow in a tank, but obviously everything is quite happy and healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

jake with as much knowledge as you have about flow. could you go into greater depth about how and why you designed the flow in this tank?

• 3 weeks later...
jake with as much knowledge as you have about flow. could you go into greater depth about how and why you designed the flow in this tank?

Hey bitts, you know, flow is only really complicated at larger scales. For a small tank with dimensions under 20" it's really hard to have any dead spots with just a single strategically placed powerhead. Of course there is no flow in my pictures or video simply for the visual effect. The outlet of the marineland duetto mini comes out at the surface and even at just 50 or so gph, since the tank is 12" long a little bit of water movement gets all of the water moving.

I would say that what is more important for flow in this tank is the placement of the rock. I totally forgot to mention that the ceramic structure is supported by 3 frag plugs, the kind with the flat disc mount and a peg coming out of it. These frag plugs support the ceramic reef of EcoReef One about an inch off the bottom, allowing the water to continue flowing underneath it, preserving the flow that is being created by the duetto. Hope this helps.

Crackerballer

I have your article on AA saved. I wanted to do something similar with a Solana, but I am worried a 34g tank will be too much, and I surely can't do a 100% water change monthly. Maybe 20 gallons a month or so, and then I can run carbon and a skimmer to help. I saw what you said about execution of this idea on a larger scale, but any other thoughts?

• 5 months later...

Archived