Pod Your Reef

Fishbutt's Reeforium

fishbutt

Hello and welcome to my reef thread!

So my tank has morphed quite a bit since I began reefing in March of 2010!

First tank:

10 gallon Half Moon tank by Marineland The filtration was an undergravel filter (coarse aragonite sand and Aquaclear powerhead) and my livestock consisted of a three-spot damsel ("Bowser"), a decorator crab, CUC, and macro algae.

27009_525429468767_79601136_30958519_7627505_n.jpg

Second tank:

14 gallon Oceanic Biocube 10K T5 and actinic lighting. Livestock consisted of a True Perc, a Coral Banded Shrimp, leather corals, mushrooms, CUC, macro algae.

29390_527170754217_79601136_31003341_7172061_n.jpg

Current tank:

Since beginning my reefing experience I have learned a lot from many wonderful people and have finally developed a sustainable reef. I now have a 20 gallon long mixed reef with 150 watt MH lighting, CPR BakPak skimmer, Live Rock,... to be updated soon.

30423_528437475697_79601136_31043320_737809_n.jpg

If you have any questions please ask!

Tank looks nice! I've wanted to check out Tropicorium especially for some corals, but it seems that every time I'm in the area I'm in a hurry... Someday!

Anyways, for just a few days in it looks good, and the rockscape you have compliments the 1/2 circle shape of the tank well!

The undergravel filter is an interesting idea, but should be fine IMO. As for lighting though, I'm not sure what you'll find that will look good on that tank. A pendant MH or one of those viper clip-on lights would look cool though.

Thanks! I'm shocked at how difficult it was to get rock right where you want it!

On the UGF... Tropicorium's entire facility is ran on UGF's! I was amazed and finally decided to go with an UGF. I've been debating because of such mixed reviews. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I imagine it's efficacy dependent upon my tank maintenance and not over-feeding, so I'll be careful. I DEFINITELY recommend Tropicorium... if you are at all interested in saltwater life, then Tropicorium is worth the trip. It was like going to a flippin specialty zoo for me! I couldn't believe it. Anyhow. Thanks for your feedback!

how about the 70 watt coralife 7 watts a gallon about three inches above ur tank and that should be fine for most i didnt read ur thread but the first post and pop it on and frow some coral.

• 3 months later...

Holy cow!!! I have totally been bitten by the reef bug and I've finally updated my tank thread. I will update again very soon!! I finally added my corals back into my tank: frogspawn, gsp, leathers, shrooms, green zoas, lace corals, chalice, montipora... most of which were "given" to me by a guy getting out of the hobby... woot woot. I'll keep ya updated.

I'm confused. You've gone through 3 tanks all cycled and stocked in 3 months? How is that possible?

I'm confused. You've gone through 3 tanks all cycled and stocked in 3 months? How is that possible?

I just took tank number 1 down- it was up for 3 months. It cycled within 2 weeks (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels were monitored and the cycle was quick)

Tank number 2 was an unbelievable deal from a local reefer- the tank was up and running for 1+ years prior to me getting it. I brought it home and it also went through a soft cycle (parameters were once again monitored)

Tank 3- I just started it and its basically a culmination of tank 1 and tank 2. I needed to consolidate my tanks and I figured a bigger tank can be made more stable, so I went with a 20gal long that I had. I am expecting a soft cycle and will be monitoring parameters and running carbon/chemi etc when necessary. I have a skimmer and MH lighting on the new tank... so its kind of like a big kid tank now. lol

Voila. 3 tanks in 3 months.

I just took tank number 1 down- it was up for 3 months. It cycled within 2 weeks (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels were monitored and the cycle was quick)

Tank number 2 was an unbelievable deal from a local reefer- the tank was up and running for 1+ years prior to me getting it. I brought it home and it also went through a soft cycle (parameters were once again monitored)

Tank 3- I just started it and its basically a culmination of tank 1 and tank 2. I needed to consolidate my tanks and I figured a bigger tank can be made more stable, so I went with a 20gal long that I had. I am expecting a soft cycle and will be monitoring parameters and running carbon/chemi etc when necessary. I have a skimmer and MH lighting on the new tank... so its kind of like a big kid tank now. lol

Voila. 3 tanks in 3 months.

Wow. I'm very jealous. I'm dieing to start a bigger tank myself, but it's just not in the cards for now. Or I should say, not in the wallet!

Good luck with tank#3! Keep us posted!

I like the new tank.

I see you may be local to me. Anything you would want to trade?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239739

Ooo perhaps we can trade in the future! I am actually leaving this coming Sunday for Cali for 6 weeks- so I combined tanks to make it easier for my family to care for my reef. So I shouldn't add any corals now- maybe we can talk later. Good luck getting rid of your sun coral!

Wow. I'm very jealous. I'm dieing to start a bigger tank myself, but it's just not in the cards for now. Or I should say, not in the wallet!

Good luck with tank#3! Keep us posted!

Thanks for the luck! I'll take it!

I just so happened to have a bigger tank laying around... so the only thing I really invested in was a light (used) and a skimmer (used). You can find some amazing deals from local reefers! Get what you need for a great price and upgrade! You know you want to! :)

I like it so far - looks to be bare bottom?

You should add this to the 20Long owners thread (in my auto signature)

I like it so far - looks to be bare bottom?

You should add this to the 20Long owners thread (in my auto signature)

Hello! I will surely join the 20L thread as soon as I update my photos and thread of my tank. The tank is no longer bare bottom- I was nearing the end of setting it up when I took the last picture. I just took some new pics though and will soon update my thread. Then I'll be sure to post on the 20L thread! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Droidaphone

Hey, do you still have that decorator?

I'm curious about your experience. A lot of people say decorators + reefs = frustration. Did you get irritated with him and trade him or does he just have run of your tank now?

ktnx!

Archived