Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 20 Gallon Love <3

sweet<3

FTS:

6-2-10

panorama.jpg

So here it is! My 20 gallon nano reef. I have been in the hobby for over a year now. My tank has taken many forms but here is its current state. Haha. Better pics will come when I figure out my camera settings!

• Plumbed into around 50 gallons of water total
  • 150 watt metal halide
  • No filter
  • 12 gallon refugium
  • 20 gallon sump

Livestock

• Various corals/mushrooms/zoas/palys/etc.
  • Caribbean flower anemone (hiding in there somewhere)
  • Orange diamond goby
  • One orange clown and one black clown
  • Midas Blenny

• One sand sifting starfish
  • Turbo snails

OLD Full Tank Shot (First post)

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

Those Japanese Snowflakes are very interesting!

Thanks! Haha. The picture doesn't do them justice. I'm local so I got them at AquaSD, but they have a great website too. They carry all kinds of different corals.

:welcome:

Thanks for sharing your tank! Love the zoa collection, Flower Nem and cloves especially...

I may be wrong, but this sure looks like a 20 Long to me - :)

When you get a chance, you should add it to the 20 long thread (link in my sig)

20g tank + 12g refugium....how does that equal 50g of water?!

I really like the "yellow stuff"! And the red Zoas are awesome! I can't wait to see everything grow!

Looks good, but that starfish is gonna starve and destory the microfauna in your sand bed.

I have had the starfish for over a year now. He only had four legs when I bought him and since then has regrown his fifth. He seems to be doing fine so fingers crossed!! I have sand in my refugium and in my sump so hopefully what he does to the 20 won't matter too much.

Thanks for sharing your tank! Love the zoa collection, Flower Nem and cloves especially...

I may be wrong, but this sure looks like a 20 Long to me -

When you get a chance, you should add it to the 20 long thread (link in my sig

Ooo sounds good! I will definately check it out!

20g tank + 12g refugium....how does that equal 50g of water?!

I really like the "yellow stuff"! And the red Zoas are awesome! I can't wait to see everything grow!

Yea I should have mentioned that its plumbed into a 25 gallon tub that serves as my sump, but its only holding about 20 gallons. So tank 20 + refugium 12 + 20 gallon sump

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tank. Love to see other people out there with maxi minis (my current addiction).

Thanks =) I actually just checked out your tank and have to admit that I'm jealous. Your collection is bigger than mine haha. I just wish these things werent so hard to find!!

Paul E. Wog
Thanks =) I actually just checked out your tank and have to admit that I'm jealous. Your collection is bigger than mine haha. I just wish these things werent so hard to find!!

Well I currently have all the greens I need but if you ever get any unusual morphs I may be up for trading cuttings. I have a lot more in my collection then in my tank thread currently; just been to busy/lazy to take pics. Also have some amazing ones coming in tomorrow. sent you a pm

Is your tank really that off level? The water line looks pretty crooked!

Nice collection of corals! And your pep shrimp looks like hes flying!

glue something to the skull... maybe a digi or cap

Yea thats a good idea. I have been looking for something pretty to stick to him! Haha

Is your tank really that off level? The water line looks pretty crooked!

Nice collection of corals! And your pep shrimp looks like hes flying!

Haha I know its horrible! It's really odd how that happened. It's on top of my entertainment center and apparently thats not level. Nothing I can do now though :(

Yea thats a good idea. I have been looking for something pretty to stick to him! Haha

Haha I know its horrible! It's really odd how that happened. It's on top of my entertainment center and apparently thats not level. Nothing I can do now though :(

Mines slightly off too, not real bad though. My problem is the floor isnt perfectly level, the stand is square as can be (should have built it where it stands and levelled to the floor but i didnt). Oh well, upgrade soon i will fix it all then!

You will be upgrading eventually too :P so you will have plenty of time to fix it!

kamikaze_fish

Your tank looks awesome! As for leveling it, with the help of a friend you could slide shims under one side of your entertainment center. Usually I've noticed if I get mine far enough in, the carpet hides the shims. I've heard horror stories of uneven tanks having problems later so I'm paranoid. The horror stories are kind of rare but they do happen.

I love your clowns and goby. Does the goby make a mess at all?

Mines slightly off too, not real bad though. My problem is the floor isnt perfectly level, the stand is square as can be (should have built it where it stands and levelled to the floor but i didnt). Oh well, upgrade soon i will fix it all then!

You will be upgrading eventually too :P so you will have plenty of time to fix it!

Haha oh man I better start saving my $$ now! This little tank is expensive enough! I would love to upgrade though. Someday!!

Very nice tank. Love the Zoas.

Thanks! :D

Your tank looks awesome! As for leveling it, with the help of a friend you could slide shims under one side of your entertainment center. Usually I've noticed if I get mine far enough in, the carpet hides the shims. I've heard horror stories of uneven tanks having problems later so I'm paranoid. The horror stories are kind of rare but they do happen.

I love your clowns and goby. Does the goby make a mess at all?

Yea it is better to be safe than sorry! I might have to try this. As for the goby, yes he does make a mess. He is a pain! But I love him and can't get rid of him now. He sort of goes through these stages where he gets everything the way he wants it and stays calm for a couple of weeks. But then he gets bored or something and decides to redecorate the tank for me. Keeps things interesting I guess!

kamikaze_fish

I had one too and I loved him. Couldn't stop watching him but unfortunately couldn't handle the amount of sand he covered everything with. I'll be getting another when I upgrade though. As a hint on the shims, what I had to do on my 30g freshwater is have help kind of raising that side of the stand up just barely high enough I could slide the first inch of the shim underneath. Then I gently tapped it with a hammer until it was far enough underneath. Hope that helps.

When we gonna see some new pics?

:)

...and when you gonna add this to the 20L thread?

:D

I'm really glad I got mine in there fast. Your ruthless.

Soon! The tanks there look awesome. I want to take a really nice FTS! Soon I promise! :scarry:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived