Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Home Office Frag Tank

stvjohnsn

Well after downsizing from my Oceanic 45 Tech to my BC14, I was left some spare equipment and very little space to grow out any corals. That combined with some inspiration from some of the other frag tanks here (Bonsai, burky_tc, etc), I was left the easy decision to start a frag tank. I plan on growing out acans, micros, and zoas.

I just received the custom 24x18x8 tank from Advance Acrylics today. It's 1/2" acrylic and drilled for two returns in the back corners with two drains in the overflow. I'll be using the Herbie method for a silent sump.

I spec'd the frag tank to fit on my old 45 tech stand so I'm recycling the stand, sump, some plumbing, Tunze pump and powerhead as well as some marco rock I've bleached and will be curing. Two PAR38 LED lamps on a DIY plumbing pipe fixture will supply the adjustable height lighting. Next up is a paint job for the light and order from BRS for the remainder of the plumbing and the black eggcrate.

FragFTS.jpg

Equipment List:

Custom 1/2" acrylic 24x18x8 frag tank

Oceanic 45 Tech Stand

Custom sump

2 PAR38 LED lights (60 deg 20k) on DIY fixture

Tunze return pump

Tunze 6025 powerhead (or maybe MP10)

Tunze Nano Skimmer

Tunze ATO

Marco rock in sump

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Just got the bulkheads and other parts in today and I'm doing a fresh water test right now. The Herbie drain combined with the Tunze return pump, and no fans make this tank dead quiet. I have the live rock curing so hopefully there'll be saltwater in tomorrow.

FTS20100218.jpg

NaClCrocodile

How long did it take the PAR38's? The color on yours has just made my decision, going 20K's. This is the second Advance Acrylics tank I've seen that I love, do they ship? I looked on their website but it didn't have a phone number listed :huh:. Could you PM me their number? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got the topoff and skimmer running and I'm starting to collect some frags. I ran the topoff through some wiremold from the closet next to the tank. Added some mangroves to the overflow.

FragFTS032010.jpg

sick set up man!!! acrylic rocks!!! those LEDs are crazy to.. i know friend who has that same one on his tank and it looks sexy.. hope everything works out well

Just got the topoff and skimmer running and I'm starting to collect some frags. I ran the topoff through some wiremold from the closet next to the tank. Added some mangroves to the overflow.

FragFTS032010.jpg

This is cool. Love the lighting fixture you made. Great job....

Archived