Pod Your Reef

Upgraded from PC's to T5's and wow

jeremyd

I finally upgraded from PC's to Aquatic lifeT5's and wow what a difference. I also re aquascaped my tank and added a couple new pieces of rock. Although the pieces I added were not LR they will become LR soon enough. Here are a few pics please feel free to critique it. Positive or negative it doesnt matter I can take it and maybe I will get a few ideas. It really is hard reaquascapping an established tank since all of the livestock is already fixed and in place, you kinda have to work around them. Anyway's let me know what you think.

SDC10582.jpg

Here's the Nemo's as my daughter calls them

SDC10583.jpg

SDC10585.jpg

Here is my Ritteri

SDC10590.jpg

I didn't think nems did well under PC... How many watts were they under and for how long?

I like the scape. I personally go with a more open feel, but that is just personal preference... Looks good!

I didn't think nems did well under PC... How many watts were they under and for how long?

I like the scape. I personally go with a more open feel, but that is just personal preference... Looks good!

i thought the same, but i have a rose nem under PC for a little over a year now :huh:

Thanks for the kind words. As for the number of clowns there is 4 of them ans suprisingly they dont fight at all. The tank is a 40G breeder. As for the PC watt's I have no idea and they are in the attic now. The guy I bought the tank from had it established for 2 years and both nems were in it for about 1.5 years. i kinda like the open scape also. The Biocube 14 I am putting together will have a pretty tight scape so I can fit as much LR as possible.

Thanks for the kind words. As for the number of clowns there is 4 of them ans suprisingly they dont fight at all. The tank is a 40G breeder. As for the PC watt's I have no idea and they are in the attic now. The guy I bought the tank from had it established for 2 years and both nems were in it for about 1.5 years. i kinda like the open scape also. The Biocube 14 I am putting together will have a pretty tight scape so I can fit as much LR as possible.

Has the apearance or behavior of the nems changed since moving to T5? Did they stay in one spot or roam around?Sorry to get off topic, but I am a little facinated.

Nemo Niblets

It could be the amount of anemones in there. A guy on RC had 27 clowns in the same tank for 27 months because he had so many anemones. 1 male, 1 female, and a 25 clowns all from the same batch that were just waiting to change gender.

Has the apearance or behavior of the nems changed since moving to T5? Did they stay in one spot or roam around?Sorry to get off topic, but I am a little facinated.

Well the bubble tip moved once but I dont know if it is because the new light or the fact that I moved its rock around. It moved once before when I moved its rock so I think it is due to that. As for the ritteri he acts like nothing has changed and I really hope he doesnt decide to move around being how big he is. The apperance hasnt changed but the light has only been on for about 3 days and I am slowly acclimating them by putting a few pieces of screen under the light. Every day and a half I will take a piece off so it wont be such a huge difference in the light to them. I feel once they get the full benefit of the light they may liven up some.

tank looks great! i like the open look too.

i debated about getting a pc or t5 fixture for one of my tanks and went with the t5s. your post makes me glad that i did :D

chachi

It could be the amount of anemones in there. A guy on RC had 27 clowns in the same tank for 27 months because he had so many anemones. 1 male, 1 female, and a 25 clowns all from the same batch that were just waiting to change gender.

+1 about the gender. I don't think it is about the nems though. In the book Clownfishes by Wilkerson, she talks about how clowns in nature form harems and, like you say, there is the breeding pair and lots of 'juveniles'. Once one of the pair dies, the next most dominant moves up. I think it is more about submission, dominance, and clown's hermaphroditic nature than the nems... IMO anyway.

Good idea about the multiple screens, Jeremy. I am curious to find out if they behave/ look different once fully acclimated.

Archived