inTank Media Baskets

Deep's custom 10 gal with LEDs

deepdvnarq

Hi everybody! i started another LED project because i was bored. my intentions was to keep this tank but after mulling it over several times, i just put anothertank in the house at this time so it is set up at my friends LFS (reef jungle). i made the canopy from scrap wood and bought the decorative moldings at home depot.

here's a few shots of the finished product and the beginnings of the tank and hood

IMG00089.jpg

IMG00090.jpg

DSCF2063.jpg

i really enjoyed making this canopy and look forward for the next project. the next few shots just shows how i made the hood. please excuse some of the blurry pics and bad ones. most of them were taken with a camera phone.

DSCF2067.jpg

DSCF2068.jpg

DSCF2065.jpg

DSCF2066.jpg

DSCF2064.jpg

DSCF2070.jpg

DSCF2071.jpg

DSCF2072.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2076.jpg

DSCF2080.jpg

DSCF2079.jpg

DSCF2082.jpg

DSCF2083.jpg

DSCF2084.jpg

DSCF2081.jpg

here started putting on the trim to cover up the screws and make it nicer

DSCF2092.jpg

DSCF2091.jpg

DSCF2093.jpg

DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2096.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

DSCF2100.jpg

DSCF2101.jpg

DSCF2103.jpg

i also made brackets and test fitted the heatsink

DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2090.jpg

DSCF2088.jpg

DSCF2093.jpg

DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2095.jpg

once the top and the top trim was done and the cracks filled and sanded, it was ready to be painted

IMG00066.jpg

IMG00067.jpg

IMG00069.jpg

IMG00071.jpg

IMG00072.jpg

IMG00073.jpg

i also already had done all of the soldering of the LEDs and completed wiring in the fans. in the control box, i drilled small holes on on side and cut out a hole on the other side and install a 40 mm fan to cool off the buckpucks. i sed 20 LEDs in all and 5 bubkpucks. i used 9 rb and 9 CW LEDs with 2 UV lights. i screwed down the heatsink onto the hood.

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00082.jpg

IMG00080.jpg

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00086.jpg

IMG00087.jpg

IMG00088.jpg

Nice. With the tank being at the LFS, what is the customer opinion of the LED lighting?

they are LOVING IT! they think it is the next big thing to sliced bread. and there reaction is not too bad when it comes to the build price either. once they learn about the benefits and the cool feautures the reaction gets even better. so even with bad economic times, they are willing to pay for it upfront and save the cash in the long run.

redkneecoral

what an outstand step by step building display. I really love what you have done, great job.

I am fallin inlove with these led lights, LOVE how they make everything look so good and bright.

i wish i can afford one. I most want one for my ten gal.

Once again, great job, ya da king

what an outstand step by step building display. I really love what you have done, great job.

I am fallin inlove with these led lights, LOVE how they make everything look so good and bright.

i wish i can afford one. I most want one for my ten gal.

Once again, great job, ya da king

haha! thanks for your VERY kind words. :D

Wow. :)

How is the Coral Response to the light so far?

well if weetie likes it it must be good!

thanks weetie

it mens a lot coming from you.

so far so good on the response to the new lights. i will take updated pics next week to see if there is any difference in them. some of those were in my other 3 gal with LEDs also

D your such a post whore :) You just hadda post your project b4 you sent my leds out didnt ya. LOL. Ok so the bad first. You should be flogged for not matching the ivy in the mitered corners. :P Just plane lazy bro. Ok just playing with ya.

Seriously it looks great. I am glad that you finally got it done. Are you planning on selling these things at the store? You know you really need that 30th job. Dude your making me crave jerk chicken more and more.

D your such a post whore :) You just hadda post your project b4 you sent my leds out didnt ya. LOL. Ok so the bad first. You should be flogged for not matching the ivy in the mitered corners. :P Just plane lazy bro. Ok just playing with ya.

Seriously it looks great. I am glad that you finally got it done. Are you planning on selling these things at the store? You know you really need that 30th job. Dude your making me crave jerk chicken more and more.

:haha:

i know right! im on my way to my 29th job and i'm making exactly that same dish. i'll save you some. well i got hung up on my 18th to 27th job and didnt have time to go to the post office. i'll send them tommorow definately. i'm not planning on selling them but i could for a little extra cash. i think job number 31 is coming soon!

redkneecoral

Deep, i am taking ya idea on your canopy. Cuz i just recieved my new light fixture yesterday and man it's so bright when i sit and watch my tank to the point i have to wear a hat to block out the brightness, lol.

Thanks for this DIY project.

I wish io could buy one of them from ya lol.

NICE DIY! I'm going led on my next tank now that I've got a better paying job.

let me know if you need any help or have any wquestions

Deep, i am taking ya idea on your canopy. Cuz i just recieved my new light fixture yesterday and man it's so bright when i sit and watch my tank to the point i have to wear a hat to block out the brightness, lol.

Thanks for this DIY project.

I wish io could buy one of them from ya lol.

no thank you for the kind words and im glad this thread could help you out. pm me if you have any questions

Hey, just saw your build and it looks great!

I am in the process of building an LED setup over my 10g, but I am using 12 LEDs instead of 20.

How is the light spread per LED?

Hey, just saw your build and it looks great!

I am in the process of building an LED setup over my 10g, but I am using 12 LEDs instead of 20.

How is the light spread per LED?

personally i think you need more LEDs. i used a 2" spacing on this setup but i wouldn't go more than 3" from center LED to center LED. you could run into spot light effect and the colors wont mix well if you went any wider. that spacing seems fine but i just wanted better colr mixing and more intense lighting. i wanted to make it a SPS tank. you should be fine with that setup though just make sure you dont go any wider than 3". i gave it some more thought. i think you should add more LEDs. i know it is more money but it will be worth it. sometimes trying to save money and cut corners ends up being more money in the end. invest a little more and be completely happy with it.

depends what you call costly. in my terms...no. just a quick calculation

5x$20 for buckpucks=$100

2 uv leds=$20

18 leds @$7=$126

power supply=$25

heatsink=$40

fans=$35

misc. items like project box, wires, nylon screws, etc=$50

estimated total without canopy=$396

so i spent around $400 and i know i forgot some little things that start to add up.

but im set for about 15years of no bulb changing and a chiller would probably been needed if i were to put a MH unit on it. and also factor in your power savings from the leds and you have yourself an efficient unit

• 2 months later...

Archived