Innovative Marine Aquariums

Simba's 10 Gal AGA

Simba

Well it was around a year ago when i took down my 20 high.. and now i think its time to once again take the plunge :D This time with a 10 gallon AGA.

Looking all around Nanoreefs, i found some really amazing tanks.. One design that struck me as amazing was the Peninsula type. A tank that has 3 sides viewable. Im gonna go for a simplistic look with minimal equipment( <_< well.. atleast i hope so.. I'll resist the temptation of purchasing a mp10 for as looong as i can :P. promise)

So far heres the equipment list

10 gallon AGA

24"Current USA Nova Extreme T5 HO fixture 2x24W

Aquaclear 70

AC surface skimmer

DIY ATO

Around 6lbs dead rock from 20 high

Round 3lbs new live rock

50 watt Jager heater

Koralia Nano

Soon to be list:

Koralia K1

1 small Percula ( i dont care.. theyre cute)

1 bicolor blenny

1 firefish

3 sexy shrimps or so

and as for corals im just gonna go with softies for now.. Just waiting to pick up a frag pack from

nematoad :D

Now the story unfolds...

After taking down the 20 high, i kept all of the live rock in a bin thats been void of light for almost a year now. So i cherry picked a few pieces with cave like features that would look nice in the 10gal. Bought about 3 pounds of new live rock to seed the coralline and bacteria and all that good stuff. I really like seeing little fishies going through the live rock and stuff so im 'scaping with this in mind.

100_4766.jpg

Rocks just chilling in the tank till the final destination is set up. (Newly finished Basement :D ) Its been chilling in here for about 2 weeks now.

Can you tell the dead rock from the live piece?? :mellow:

100_4772.jpg

PUZZLE TIME!! aha trying to find the perfect way to fit the pieces nicely.. With the help of a little epoxy ofcourse.

100_4773.jpg

Yes yes? no? maybe?

100_4778.jpg

and its back to the tank for the new sculpture.. another week till basements ready for a new tank :angry:

100_4781.jpg

future stand.. with piece of glass.. to protect the wood ofcourse ;)

100_4782.jpg

alright so finally a week passed and as i was putting the rock "sculpture" in( while in the dark as you can see) it broke into its little pieces!! gah!

100_4783.jpg

Just rebuilding.. you know..

100_4784.jpg

just buildingbuildingbuildingbuilding!

t'is the right side

100_4785.jpg

t'is the left!

100_4789.jpg

100_4791.jpg

100_4792.jpg

New sand Fog!! woot! will have to wait till morning for the grand unveiling..

100_4794.jpg

oh and heres my ghetto feet for holding the backend of the fixture up :P just the corner of the black plastic piece from the 20 high.. loolll

100_4795.jpg

Taaadddaaa!

100_4802.jpg

100_4805.jpg

i added (epoxied) a ledge looking piece of rock to the big piece.. Which i think kinda looks like the rock perch in the lion king where rafiki unveils simba to the animals and they all rejoice..

Now just picture a bi color blenny just chilling on that spot :)

Algae should be covering the epoxy soon enough. no?

100_4800.jpg

Teh Right Side

100_4801.jpg

The Front!

100_4802.jpg

The Left Side

100_4803.jpg

100_4813.jpg

Surface Agitation? love it

100_4769.jpg

Is it safe to have that much of the heater not in the water?

100_4811.jpg

100_4810.jpg

100_4812.jpg

Heres the caves built for teh fishesss!!

100_4798.jpg

100_4799.jpg

And finally the view of the area around the tank!

For now.. the tank will remain untouched for a couple weeks.. University just started and priorities have shifted a bit.. just a little tho.

WIll be getting frags and chaeto from nematoed in a few weeks.. and yes.. i havent tested the water at all.. reason being why? No livestocks getting added until mid november or something.. Im sure blue legs and astreas can handle a little nitrate. Water changes will be done weekly.. roughly 2 gallons or so. Will definately test for the basic stuff before livestock is added.

FTS as of 11/09/09

100_4802.jpg

I think it looks great.

If you're looking for a rockwork fish I'd suggest the sixline wrasse. Mine swoops in and out pretty much all day through the rockwork, while my perculas stay in the main water column.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

100_5505.jpg

Red zoas

100_5506.jpg

some xenia attaching to some rock

100_5508.jpg

various zoas

100_5510.jpg

tiny ric attaching to rock

100_5511.jpg

FTS for now

100_5513.jpg

the powder blue anthelias look happy

waiting for stuff to open up before snapping picss.

**bad news... i super glued one of the rics last night to some rubble.. this morning i found the ric missing from the rubble.. It was stuck in the AC70 intake.. Who knows how many hours its been there. I reglued with care so we'll see if it survives.

Heres the red zoaas opened up

100_5517.jpg

100_5518.jpg

Heres the xenias pulsing along

100_5519.jpg

Pic taken before that ric got sucked into the AC70

amazing rockwerk!

the pure funcionality of it is only rivaled by its awesom structure and beauty....

err.... i like it :D

nice zoa's...

the pure funcionality of it is only rivaled by its awesom structure and beauty....

nice zoa's...

Now that is deep.

Lookin' good! Are you worrying that the algae might overrun your frags? Good Luck!

So far algaes only growing on the the rock that i recycled from a last build.. Chaeto has just been added so we'll see how things progress

Archived