Pod Your Reef

MedRed's 5.5 Gallon ADA Mini M Pico

MedRed

2h74byq.jpg

2s964pw.jpg

143nf9h.jpg

mssxf.jpg

Original Post:

I've been scheming to break down my little 5.5 gallon tank and turn it into a softie tank.

2q9dtfb.jpg

It has begun!

t6cwhu.jpg

2h74byq.jpg

I already have the other rock that will go in this tank, but I'm currently in the process of killing of the aggressive, encrusting coral that's on it. Just soaked that sucker in pure hydrogen peroxide, and now i'm going to leave it outside to dry for a few days.

Equipment:

5.5 Gallon Aqua Design Amano Mini M

ADA Solar Mini M w/ 18 watt 460nm/10,000K PC

Hydor ETH 200 Inline Heater

Ecco 2232 Canister Filter

Do!Aqua and ADA Lily Pipe Inlet and Outlets

Filtration: I went back and forth on an Aqua clear or deco art HOB. I didn't want a big filter being visible behind the tank, and I didn't think the Deco Art would be powerful enough... So I decided to use my existing Eheim Ecco 2232 canister (rated for 35 gallons and 127 gph). I think this will be a fantastic option as it will allow me to use my lily pipes for inconspicuous filtration. I also have a Hydor ETH 200 plumbed inline so that I don't have to add an internal heater. I was planning on using a left over 50 watt heater. I'm only using the coarse filter sponge, the carbon pad, and a container filled with live rock rubble. I will forgo the fine filter pad for now. My weekly water changes will be super easy as i'll just quick disconnect the filter, pull the containers out (they lock together as one unit), pour the water in it down the toliet, and dunk the canister into the SW bucket to fill it back up.

Flow:I have a koralia nano i won at a local SW conference. I'm going to let the filter provide the flow for now.

Lighting:

My one gripe is that the light fixture isn't long enough to allow for a longer bulb. I can only fit a 9-10" bulb when the tank is 12" long. Frustrating! I'm having to settle for reduced power with an 18 watt 50/50 instead of a higher powered 27-32 watt bulb. if i went without the actinic, there are 27 watt bulbs that fit the fixture. I've seen a 70 Watt MH retro into one of these light fixtures... I may have to think about that.

i have dubbed this tank "The Theatre." The big rock in the back reminds me of a back drop... and the two smaller rocks to either side are stage props. My goal is to keep as much water volume in the tank as possible. I already know evaporation can be a mother in this tank. The more water... the better I can address such issues.

r9pn9s.jpg

2s964pw.jpg

wunq7q.jpg

I may try for a few different color morphs or star polyps for the back wall. I'm not sure what variety of xenia I'm going to want to add. I should be able to isolate it to one rock. I'm thinking some blue clove polyps sound good too. as for livestock? who knows?

I like what you did to this tank. I also have a spare 5.5 tank laying around it was suppose to be for my dosing tank for my 34g solana but I tend to do a manual hand dosing myself every other day. So now I don't know if I should build one or not because I also have a 12g ap frag tank too but thinking if I should break it down.

Really interesting rocks, it does look kind of like a theatre :)

That was a really nice planted tank, but I bet this tank will be way better!

By the way, that GSP will take over that back rock lol

Lol i love the reef lilly pipes! were you on theplantedtank too? your tank was nice :)

LOL... thanks! We'll see how the lilly pipes work out. I thought it'd be something pretty interesting to do. I am on planted tank as well. I have the same name.

I like what you did to this tank. I also have a spare 5.5 tank laying around it was suppose to be for my dosing tank for my 34g solana but I tend to do a manual hand dosing myself every other day. So now I don't know if I should build one or not because I also have a 12g ap frag tank too but thinking if I should break it down.

Do EEET!

Really interesting rocks, it does look kind of like a theatre :)

That was a really nice planted tank, but I bet this tank will be way better!

By the way, that GSP will take over that back rock lol

Thanks man. I am counting on the GSP taking over the rock. I used that little piece to seed the wall.

Very nice. That rock is going to be nice to work with.

Thank you! Just added some blue clove polyps today. They are hidden.

nice reef Iwagami :D

ha ha... thanks!

that purple mushy gonna take over your tank one day. haha :)

any mushrooms not on the back wall are subject to a razor blade.

Something i want to add is: i think the lilly pipes are awesome but it will suck once you start getting coralline growing on and in them :(

Something i want to add is: i think the lilly pipes are awesome but it will suck once you start getting coralline growing on and in them :(

VINEGAR AND HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quick update. Added 3 sexy shrimp and an emerald crab. I obviously need to clean up the glass. i'm about ready to start stocking some new softies. I've added some blue clove polyps. I've upgraded the canister from an ecco 2232 to an ecco pro 2236.

mssxf.jpg

Sexy time!

5mdmx.jpg

you may want to scrap the canister and go with a sump+fuge. It'll give you a place for macro algae, little rocks to serve as frag plugs, a skimmer (if you so desire) and ATO. Adding my sump made my tank care 100% easier.

nice tank!

Archived