Innovative Marine Aquariums

T5's How often do I need to change?

Trolldoll

How often should you change the bulbs? I have the NEP with stock bulbs.

First the stock bulb answer, change them now. I have a 6 bulb NEP and I changed out a couple of the bulbs at the start and realized how bad the stock bulbs were in comparison. I still ran them and was happy with the tank but now I have swapped out all of the bulbs and I am blown away with the change.

Back to the actual question; I personally would not go longer than 12 months but 12 is doable. If it was overdriven bulbs, I would go only 6-9. I have a midday bulb in my new setup and have heard 9 months for these. I know my ATI's will go 12. Some have gone 18 on T5's but I think you get back to the point where your corals are just surviving. I accidently went over 14 on my stock bulbs and basically watched the diatoms take over. Switched bulbs and they are gone.

lakshwadeep

12 months seems to be the normal recommendation. I just recently replaced my 11 month bulbs, and I can see a noticeable shift in spectrum when comparing the old and new bulbs.

Thanks

Unfortunately I have the 20" NEP. Last time I checked current was the only one making a bulb this size. Has anyone heard of other manufactures? I've been waiting.

Archived