Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED lights by ThorTek

Reef Chicks

There is a member on Manhattan Reefs from Taiwan that has these fixtures ... gorgeous tanks ... I will look for the link. :D

He is one of the featured aquariums ... user name "Cozer" ... he has an all zoa tank and then a mixed reef ... sps etc.etc.

I am looking in these fixtures as well!

Reef Chicks

I have seen all of Cozer's tanks, but something tells me he is directly involved with the company.

BTW, if you are looking into them, there is someone in NY that is ordering these with me since we get a better deal on a bigger buy and save on shipping too. If you want to join our order (when and IF we make it), you are welcome to do so.

I have seen all of Cozer's tanks, but something tells me he is directly involved with the company.

BTW, if you are looking into them, there is someone in NY that is ordering these with me since we get a better deal on a bigger buy and save on shipping too. If you want to join our order (when and IF we make it), you are welcome to do so.

I had that feeling as well! lol

Oh wow ... you have a price for a 48" fixture? LMK! I would really be interested in joining in on this! Who is the other one from NY if you don't mind my asking. :D

Reef Chicks

No, I have a very weird tank (half a circle), so it has lots of euro-bracing that would not allow light to penetrate. But still, I got quoted for 2 24" fixtures for the frontg and back in the center, and 2 12" fixtures for each of the sides, left and right.

I do believe the 48" fixture was $580. I have to look at my emails, but I am pretty sure it's in that range, which isn't bad. The guy in NY is not on this site. I'll pm you some info as soon as I have it, and yes, you are most definately welcome to join our order. That would make it less for all of us, and in turn it will make it less of a risk for everybody.

No, I have a very weird tank (half a circle), so it has lots of euro-bracing that would not allow light to penetrate. But still, I got quoted for 2 24" fixtures for the frontg and back in the center, and 2 12" fixtures for each of the sides, left and right.

I do believe the 48" fixture was $580. I have to look at my emails, but I am pretty sure it's in that range, which isn't bad. The guy in NY is not on this site. I'll pm you some info as soon as I have it, and yes, you are most definately welcome to join our order. That would make it less for all of us, and in turn it will make it less of a risk for everybody.

Nice ... that sounds like an awesome build you have there ... a little difficult to light up but none the less awesome!

Count me in ... seriously ... count me in. :D

Nice looking fixtures. My only concern is how low power everything is. The LEDs are only running at 1W, so overall PAR isn't going to be super high, especially at greater depths.

Reef Chicks

Oh wait! The guy emailed me something about making the LEDS in the main 2 units more powerful... let me look at my emails!

Reef Chicks

EMAIL FROM THEM:

Please take a look at the layout figure for you! Since our LED lamps are designed for tank with depth less than 24", we recommend you to have all the lamps installed with optical lens to increase the light penetration.

Although this will decrease the area covered by the concentrated light, but these two sets will still provide enough light to cover the whole tank area! 

The 36" typical fixture cost $470 USD, and the 48" typical fixture costs $580 USD (shipping fee not included!). The cost for the two sets shipping from Taiwan to US will be about $200~250 USD (exact value need to be further confirmed!) If you decide to buy both sets, we can offer you the price $1,000 USD (shipping fee not included!)

Good question. I actually emailed them Thursday after seeing Cozers tank as well asking about a 12" unit. Here's the reply I got from them.

Hello Ian!

Nice to have your mail!

The price for the 14" Typical fixture is $165 USD (shipping fee not included)

The specification is:

14" Typical fixture (14”in length, 7” in width, 2” in height):

(a) 12 white Hi-power LED lamps (6300K, 1.25W/lamp)

(B) 6 blue Hi-power LED lamps (470nm, 1.25W/lamp)

© 8 Low-power red LED lamps (660nm)

(d) 8 Low-power moonlight LED lamps

(e) 1 cooling fan,

(f) 2 hanging hooks (optional, need further charge)

(g) 2 legs (movable)

(h) 3 independent switches for controlling (i) white (ii) blue (iii) red

(i) 3 independent plugs for (i) white (ii) blue and red (iii) moonlight

(j) 4 painting colors for choice: Black, Yellow, Red, Pearl white

The price for the 12" Slim fixture is $110 USD (shipping fee not included)

The specification is:

12" Slim fixture (12”in length, 3 ” in width, 2 ” in height):

(a) 6 white Hi-power LED lamps (6300K, 1.25W/lamp)

(B) 6 blue Hi-power LED lamps (470nm, 1.25W/lamp)

(g) 2 legs (movable)

(h) 2 independent switches for controlling (i) white (ii) blue

(i) 2 independent plugs for (i) white (ii) blue

(j) Black painting color

The pics of both 14" Typica land 12" Slim fixtures and our warranty are attached!

The shipping fee for either 14" or 12" from Taiwan to US will be less than $100 USD.

Please feel free to contact us for any further question or information!

Thank you!

Regards,

ThorTek Inc.

Reef Chicks

A friend of mine (who shall remain name-less... lol) pm'd me this: The placement of the blue and white LED's should be alternating. Not having the blues and whites in a single line. That will create a linear line of color in the tank not the well blended color saturations that you want/need.

Something to consider.

That is a good point too. Doesnt the website ask for your tank specs so they know what to make you? Does this mean that it might be possible for them to just make a custome one with a bulb arrangement of your choice? They seem pretty customer friendly.

A friend of mine (who shall remain name-less... lol) pm'd me this: The placement of the blue and white LED's should be alternating. Not having the blues and whites in a single line. That will create a linear line of color in the tank not the well blended color saturations that you want/need.

Something to consider.

Thats a very good point especially considering the use of optics.

Having them alternating isn't an option according to them.

"Our products have 4 colors for selection: black, red, pearl white, and yellow!

We are sorry that the layout of the lamps are not changeable.

We use LED strips which are composed of six LED lamps of same color.

The mix of light is definitely ok since the lighting angle per lamp is 160 degree.

Blue and white light can well overlap to each other!

Regards,

ThorTek Inc."

Having them alternating isn't an option according to them.

"Our products have 4 colors for selection: black, red, pearl white, and yellow!

We are sorry that the layout of the lamps are not changeable.

We use LED strips which are composed of six LED lamps of same color.

The mix of light is definitely ok since the lighting angle per lamp is 160 degree.

Blue and white light can well overlap to each other!

Regards,

ThorTek Inc."

So does that mean since the angle is so great there should be no problem blending the colors? None of the customer tanks look like they have any problems with the colors not mixing well.

Once you start adding optics it creates more of an issue. We don't know the angle to make a decent judgement though.

Once you start adding optics it creates more of an issue. We don't know the angle to make a decent judgement though.

The angle is 160 degrees from the email they sent me above.

Thats just the bare LED. They have options for adding optics of an undisclosed angle.

Does the customer pic the angle? If so what angle would be best?

Does the customer pic the angle? If so what angle would be best?

Probably not. I'm sure it's just a yes or no option.

from what i have read, an 80 degree or tighter angle lens is what would work well. any other opinions?

If the color layout was better, you could go with something like 60 degree optics to bump output. With the current layout though, there would be some pretty noticable color banding.

Archived