Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"Minas Anor" Saiyan's 40 Breeder Est Feb09

Saiyan

Click Here for new misc tank shots. Post 12

Post 2- Meiacanthus bundoon(Bundoon Blenny)

Post 3-Hairy Shrooms

Post 5-Hairy Shroom division

Post 7-Caulastrea furcata(Candy Canes)

Post 13-Favites sp.

Post 14-Ecsenius bicolor(Bicolor Blenny)

I guess you can consider this my introduction.

Hello everyone. :D I have been a lurker here for many years. I like this forum and the way it is ran and so I decided this was the reefing community I wanted to join. I turned 30 a few months ago, and my beautiful wife and I just had our first child at the beginning of last year and will celebrate our 10th anniversary this year. As far as how I look they say my son looks just like me so here you go.

7-14-082.jpg

Animals have always been my hobby. I’ve always had fish and reptiles and most other critters. Now I have 4 Tarantulas(Down from 14), a 5 gal with nothing in it but base rock and live sand, and my 40B.

BTW my tarantulas all have girl names because they are all girls. (TMI to follow)Boys unfortunately don't live past their ultimate molt where they become sexually mature. So once they molt and are mature you can tell for sure what sex they are. And I name them because most will live 10 years and some like Lana will live 30 or more. I have had all since they were juveniles, some the size of my pinkie nail.

My Indian Ornamental, Jessica

IMG_8372.jpg

Mexican red knee, Lana

IMG_8329.jpg

Oh and Salem (Never watched Sabrina it’s just a coincidence.)Seen here with my wife.

Shorts7.jpg

My other interests are gadgets, gaming, and anything tech related. Photography, big TVs, and home theater computers with as many screens as possible. Although I only have 2 at the moment. Denon audio. I dig Netflix w/Blu-ray and fast internet. I am glad I have a boy because boys have better toys. And I can space out on my reef for hours taking pictures.

The tank I had set up for the last 6 years was a gift from a friend. It was a used eclipse2 24 gallon with no biowheel a 32watt pc bulb and a lot of scratches. I kept LPS, softies and a few fish very successfully for how simple the set up was. All I ever did were 5gallon a week water changes and replaced the filter pad when ever I thought about it. I also rinsed it out a few times a week if I remembered. I had repeated issues with algae and I would tear down every few years or so and get out as much as I could when it would flare up. Most of my corals from that setup were returned to the lfs as I didn’t want any GSP or the kind of shrooms or palys I had taking over my new display. Mistakes that I made with that setup were that I should have changed that sand bed at least once or twice while I had it set up and letting a dominant fish take over. I had one crash and it was from overheating. I lost most of my fish and my favorite corals at the time.

Before I continue I would urge everybody to please prepare yourself for what I am about to say…

Some of my pictures have algae in them… I hope we can still be friends.

Please remember I took these for myself and am sharing them with you. Also if you find you would like to use any of my pictures for use other then on NR. Please ask first. The answer will probably be yes but I would like to have the say first. Within NR knock yourself out. I wouldn't put it here if it wasn't for the community.

My previous setup.

Eclipse1.jpg

Eclipse2.jpg

Eclipse3.jpg

My current set up came from the lack of upgrade options for my earlier setup. There were none. So I decided to upgrade. I was going to get a Solana but ended up getting a drilled 40 gallon that somebody ordered but never picked up at the lfs. I didn’t even realize there was a whole group of people with 40Breeders here at NR.

The rest of my equipment is as follows:

Lighting-Current Outer Orbit T5 150watt, 10k HQI and 12 moon lights. 420 and 460nm actinics.****

(Soon to be supplemented then replaced with a custom full length led fixture.)

In tank circulation-Vortech mp20*****,2 Koralia Nano****

Sump Return-Rio 2500****

Refugium&Sump-Eshopps Advanced Refugium Filters Model 100 20 gallon ****

Skimmer-Vertex 80 skimmer****(Placed to maximize impact on tank)

Current Gamma UV sterilizer****(Placed to minimize impact on tank)

Current PC Refugium light***

Via Aqua Chemical reactor***** Five stars because of price. Use RowaPhos and a little carbon.

I just added a DIY topoff with kalk stirrer, cost me about 30bucks all together including a Aqualifter and ca reactor gate valve. The powerhead I used to stir the kalk was from my old set up so that made it a little cheaper. The aqualifter is plugged into a heavy duty timer. It runs for 15min about 6 times a day and feeds into the kalk stirrer. It keeps the water level very stable. My reservoir lasts about 5 or 6 days. To adjust the water level I just add or subtract 15 min cycles. I have even worse case tested it and ran it until empty and didn't flood or even raise the tank ph over 8.5.

The display also has a fan that I can blow on the surface if I need to. It gives me a 2degree drop when I turn it on and that should be just enough to avoid a chiller. Since my tank is 36inches long and my fixture is 24 inches long I have a large difference in light from one side to the next. I actually like this as it lets me keep species that prefer a little less light on the dim side of the tank.

Future plans are for adding LED supplementation that will eventually become the only form of lighting. I will also be adding a CA reactor and building a new stand. But neither one is a priority until after the led project is done.

“Minas Anor”, Saiyan’s 40breeder. Established Feb09.

First 3 shots are from day 1. Also my wife would like me to add that the uglyass wallpaper is not our call we rent.

1stdays.jpg

1stdays2.jpg

1stdays1.jpg

Durso.jpg

ATO.jpg

Sump Today followed by sump before I put it in.

Sumpnow.jpg

Sump.jpg

Refugium2.jpg

40bfts2.jpg

40bfts3.jpg

40bfts4.jpg

40bfts5.jpg

40bfts1.jpg

I am going to showcase one of the residents of my reef in the following posts.

Up first is my Bundoon Blenny, Jimmy. Not the prettiest but makes up for it with style and substance.

I named him Jimmy in honor of every friend of mine who has been named Jimmy. They have all had easy going personalities and been great to crack open a cold one with and chill the f out. Likewise this fish has the neatest personality of any fish I have kept. To all the easy going Jims and Jimmys cheers!

It should be noted that when I first got Jimmy I had my old 24 gallon. He was still a great fish but from these pics he was starving, had a weakened immune system and was on the verge of death before I set up the new tank. So I would say that a 40 gallon would be the minimum for this species unless you are able to feed several times a day in your smaller setup. Even so I was feeding several times a day and only had a couple of fish in the old setup and he was still wasting away and nowhere near as healthy as he is now. My new systems refugium puts out quite a good supply of micro fauna and I think that has made a big difference for this fish in particular. He also readily takes anything being offered. Another reason I would recommend a larger tank for this species it that he really seems to enjoy more space and is always out in the open.

At night he turns almost black and lies against the glass up in the corner to sleep. Another quirk he has is rubbing against the substrate. Nothing to worry about if you get one. I would say this is just a necessary behavior for a fish with his sleeping habits. One caution is that he likes to lie inside powerheads when they shut off. Something to look out for if you shut down your pumps frequently for feedings.

Easily my favorite fish.

Jimmy

AKA, Bundoon Blenny, Green Blenny

Species, Meiacanthus bundoon

The images below are in chronological order from top to bottom oldest first.

Jimmmy1.jpg

Jimmmy2.jpg

Jimmmy3.jpg

Jimmmy4.jpg

Jimmmy5.jpg

Jimmmy6.jpg

Jimmmy14.jpg

Jimmmy9.jpg

Jimmmy7.jpg

Jimmmy16.jpg

Jimmmy11.jpg

Jimmmy12.jpg

Jimmmy18.jpg

Jimmmy10.jpg

Up next are my hairy shrooms. If anybody has an exact ID I would appreciate it.

I have had these 2 for quite a while.

The one I bought was about the size of a quarter and almost clear. It was stuck on the glass at the lfs. I guess she must have cut it with her finger nail cause it divided a couple of days after I got it. Then it hasn’t divided again until last week. I am curious to see how often it will divide under the halides.

My big hairy shrooms

Chronologically top to bottom.

HS21.jpg

HS23.jpg

HS24.jpg

HS27.jpg

HS28.jpg

HS29.jpg

This coral hates it when I handle it.

HS210.jpg

HS211.jpg

Here are some neat shots from last week when my hairy shrooms divided for the first time since i first got them. 2 years or more.

HS19.jpg

HS112.jpg

HS114.jpg

HS116.jpg

HS119.jpg

HS120.jpg

HS121.jpg

Nice stuff. Cool arachnids too, but it weirds me out that you name them.

Thanks. I may have some of these spiders for 30 years or more so it seems worth naming them. Plus I have way too much free time.

seahorsejl

Awesome setup and pictures!

I :lol: at the whole back story. :) Definitely will be following this thread to learn about the other fish and corals you have.

Awesome setup and pictures!

I :lol: at the whole back story. :) Definitely will be following this thread to learn about the other fish and corals you have.

Glad you enjoyed it so far. Hope I can keep it interesting for ya.

Up next I have my candy canes.

Ah my Candy Canes. Caulastrea furcata. Thank goodness this is a tough coral.

When I first brought this coral home 2 polyps faded and didn’t come back. I fragged them away and had 2 small corals, the smaller of which I smashed several times while it was still pretty small. Still this coral has hung on I have fragged it several times and it continues to grow like a weed.

As usual chronologically top to bottom.

Cf9-25-071.jpg

Cf11-18-071.jpg

Cf12-9-072.jpg

Cf1-18-08.jpg

Cf1-27-082.jpg

Cf3-17-08.jpg

Cf2-6-092.jpg

Cf2-13-094.jpg

Cf3-10-098.jpg

Cf3-9-096.jpg

Cf2-28-091.jpg

Cf4-29-096.jpg

Cf4-29-09.jpg

These last two are 2 that I have for trade or sale.

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

I Ate A Cake
Very nice tank. I hate the spiders though :P they just gross me out.

+1. Brave man for keeping spiders... ;)

Very nice tank. I'll be following it along.

How many fish do you have? I think I counted 7...

+1. Brave man for keeping spiders... ;)

Very nice tank. I'll be following it along.

How many fish do you have? I think I counted 7...

I have 8 fish. 4 chormis, bundoon blenny, bicolor blenny, watchman, firefish. This seems to be a great balance. All the fish get along and the tank overall is very peacful. I would say I am right at my limit. I would like one more but I don't know if I should try it.

• 5 weeks later...

Well instead of boring you with a million shots of the same thing I will post some of my recent favorite shots.

FTS 6-13-09

FTS_6-13-09_Crop_2.jpg

A few of the new additions I picked up from reefcrawler. Great corals! My Yellow Scroll Monti

IMG_4702.jpg

Pink zoot suit from rc.

IMG_4774.jpg

He gave me a great deal on this yuma. Free! Thanks RC

IMG_4704.jpg

My watchman watching.

IMG_4742.jpg

Frogspawn

IMG_4749.jpg

One of my birdsnests. For sale locally. PM if interested. It's yellow from this angle. Bright Pink from the other angle. I hope my new LED plans will even out the colors on my branching corals.

IMG_4758.jpg

My wife likes this shot. Good old Hawaiian feather duster under my rics.

IMG_4768.jpg

Some shots of my new favites sp. They labeled it pineapple coral. From what I have read that can be applied to any number of favia, and favites sp as well as some blastos. Does anybody have an id beyond favites?

Picked up for 40.00 from my lfs. I think it was a great deal on such a cherry coral. And I love the feather dusters that are hosting in it's flesh.

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

Close up of one of the dusters.

IMG_4829.jpg

Next to my lobo.

IMG_4814.jpg

Actinic

IMG_4833.jpg

Actinic white balance corrected

IMG_4852.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

This guys name is Merlin.

Ecsenius bicolor(Bicolor Blenny)

What can I say. Most of you here know this fish well. Once they get used to your tank and if they aren't dominated they can be a punk. Mine pics at my corals but not too much the corals can handle it. It does make me worry about getting a clam. When I do if he picks at it he will be the first fish in my 5gal.

Takes all food aggressively and is constantly grazing on my algae patches. The only fish in my tank that bites.

Tough fish to photograph. Without a flash you just can't see the colors.

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2861_Crop.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

davidncbrown

Nice pics! I can't wait to have everything in my new tank so I can take pictures. Its too hard taking pic's through the glass of a nano cube because of the curvature of the front. You end up having to use a very small aperture to get a depth of field wide enough to get stuff in focus. Then its a PITA to photograph hand-held. ;) I really like your closeups btw.

Hey david thanks for the reply. :D Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I figured I wasn't due for a reply for a few hundred more views.

The limitations of the curved glass is the only thing that has kept me from the cubes. I think they look so neat, but the curved glass would always tick me off.

I'm glad anyone likes my closeups. I hate having to take "my" 100mm macro off my camera. I say "my" as I rent it. Rentglass.com. If you can't afford (or don't want to)a macro and have a canon or nikon dslr check it out. They are only about 17$ a week.

Great tank. I love 40 breeders.

The lighting is a little too yellow for my taste, but still, nice stuff!

Thanks Lalani.

And I agree on it being too yellow. I like it some times but think it will look a lot better when I put in the 14k bulb and the LEDs. Then I guess I can warm it up with one of the 4 T5s if I want to.

• 1 month later...
Nice tank, the shots are very clean as well sir!

Thanks Kraylen.

Now I just need to reup the lost posts.

Archived