Pod Your Reef

jds's BC 14 - Tank #2

jds

Hello all, yes its another "my 2nd tank" thread. so please bare with me as this hobby has me!

I picked up a used BC14 with the following CL ad:

- 14 Gallon Oceanic Biocube

- JBJ 1/15 Arctic Chiller

- NanoTunners Light Upgrade *3x24watts*

- Oceanic Black Matching Stand

- Extra Lid/Lights *2x24watt*

- Titanium Controller Heater

- Sapphire Protein Skimmer

- Upgraded Return Pump MJ900

- MJ1200 Chiller Return Pump

- Hydor Flo Deflector Attachment

- Thermometer

- Drilled Back Chamber 3 for Chiller Return

- Timer For the Lights

***BONUS***

- You get the chance to choose any THREE Corals in my Frag Tank

- Good Anytime now or later

- JUST ADDED 15 POUNDS OF LIVE ROCK

- JUST ADDED 10 POUNDS OF LIVE SAND

Now I didnt want the used sand but the rest of the gear was quite welcome and I got it all for $450.

So I spent the weekend buying some tan/gold sand, cleaning the tank (couldnt get all the coraline off the back wall), and setting it up. I added one of my Koralia's from my 29 for the time being to get the flow going as I am not sold on this Hydor Flo Deflector as I feel its not moving enough water. I cleared out all of chamber 1 and 2, put the heater in 1 and will add chemipure/purigen to 2 when Im done with the cycle. Chamber 3 is tight as currently I have the 900 in there and will be adding the 1200 chiller return and tubing in this week. I havent picked up my frags yet but I have a frag of frogspawn and some rics waiting for me.

Still working on the rockscape and the sand but here is a pic.

M-IMG_2753.JPG

So the cycle seems to be over. all params last night were at 0, today still at 0.

Going to do finally hook up the chiller as this tank has been running at 81-82 during the cycle and thats with only the antics running 4hrs. Hopefully the chiller doesnt cause and issue as I'm hoping to add a CUC in a week or so.

-jds

if that rock on the right side of ur tank is touching the glass i would highly recomend having at least enough room to get a toothbrush i didnt do this in a couple of spots on each side of my tank and have regretted it ever since. you will want to be able to clean the glass and wont be able to in that area....at the very least i would say move it to the back right corner if it has to touch the glass :) love the aquascape tho

yeah that rock moved on me. Its not supposed to be touching, I just havent moved it off since the tank is cycling and its just sitting there.

I have a few more things to move around and then its ready to rock n roll.

-jds

• 3 weeks later...

So the 2nd tank is coming along. All well until I added in the pair of Pink Skunk Clowns. It was a week after the plate, yuma, and small zoo frags and Nitrats shot to 10. Didnt come down with a water change. I think I skimped on the quality of the live rock and am now paying for it. Added some Chaeto (in tank), lets see if that helps.

The new yuma and the male skunk in the back

M-IMG_2896.JPG

The orange plate

M-IMG_2898.JPG

• 1 month later...

Love the orange plate....one more word....UPDATES....quit teasing me..

I have a 34g RSM 4mos. old and am dying for BC14 in the bedroom.

Cheers

Archived