Cultivated Reef

Burrito's 5.5g rimless AIO build!

burrito

so after having a nanocube and a 2.5g a few years ago in college, i am back to start a new tank.(both the others were sold after various dorm room move hassles)

RIP

fa6084a1.jpg

so with the inspiration of others on the forum i have decided to do a 5.5g rimless AIO. i've never done a DIY project before but i figured what the hell.

ill be documenting this with as many pictures as possible, and im sure ill ask the advice of many of you all in the process.

Hardware

5.5g tank from petco

18' nova extreme 2x18

Theo heater 50w

Maxi-jet 600

API test kit

Coralife thermometer

Acrylic sheets(Home depot)

aquarium sealer

IMG_2671.jpg

oopss safety first kids!

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

all cleaned up

IMG_2677.jpg

cutting the false wall

IMG_2681.jpg

spray paint(kyrlon fusion)

IMG_2682.jpg

i suck at silicone i have a lot of clean up when it dries

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

ok. 1 HUGE!!!!! oversight was i forgot to drill the hole for the PH. any ideas how i can go about making a hole with the false wall in place already?

can i water test it tomorrow? or is it too early.

Take something metal and heat it up....melt a hole in the acrylic. Tada you have a hole ;)

You should be able to water test tomorrow.

love your avy. im mesmerized.... anyway i have a dremel tool with some attachments. would that be too much force causing the silicone seals to break?

love your avy. im mesmerized.... anyway i have a dremel tool with some attachments. would that be too much force causing the silicone seals to break?

I'd just heat up the correct sized drill bit on the gas hob and press it against the plastic you'll be cool. Make sure you heat it up enough though, if not it will look bit gash.

so i heated up a 3/8th drill bit and made a nice hole that way, then filed with sand paper untill the hole was just big enough for the maxijet. if there is any water leak with the maxijet hole should i silicone it or would that be shooting myself in the foot later on.

pics once the paint on the sides dries up

NICE. I would like an open top like that but in uk pico's are unheard of so i have had to settle for a 6g freshwater tank that has a lid and compact t5s. Came on a sweet stand though so can't complain too much! what you planning on stocking?

ok so the PH hole is great and i did another water test with it on. its a MaxiJet 600. as you can see in the pictures below, the flow is too much for comfort, even after i added 2 more slits(with a hot knife at this point which ruined the look of the teeth but oh well)

so my question is, to bring the water level down about 1cm do i make the slits deeper(they come down about an inch right now)? wider? or will spliting the output hole with some locline into 2 heads reduce the flow enough to bring the water level down. like shown.

solana_side.jpg

also do hardware stores carry locline?

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

so any ideas?

disaster999

i think braking off every other teeth to let more water in would be the easiest solution for you without taking apart the false wall to cut the teethes again.

I agree with snapping every other off, or you could physically remove some water until you are happy with the water level. I'd drain the tank. Snap and file the teeth Then refil the tank without turning the power head on let it fill the chambers then turn the powerhead on and fill untill you are happy with the water level. Are you putting a lid on this? I love seeing tanks filled to the brim. I'm lucky that my tank is framed in acrylic so i can fill to this border and still have some space to the top of the tank decreasing the likelyhood of having any livestock jump out.

so i made the teeth wider and flow is great, water stays about 1/2 a cm from the rim. looks good.

sand rock and water go in tomorrow!!!

as far as stocking, im thinking sps and zoas.

mabye some sexy shrimp or a pistol goby combo(is the tank too small for a goby?)

and we have rock sand and water!!!!

requisite cloudy tank pics

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

water is just under the rim, im a little worried though about something getting caught in the skimmer... i may just snap a tooth or 2 off just to be safe.

cleared up photos.

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

the flash photos are a bit truer to what the tank looks like.

should i have much of a cycle if i used live sand, NSW, and LR from a very established tank.

the LR was out of water for mabye 5 minutes.

nice rock dude. I'm going to get some more next week. I saw a peice with a few shrooms on it in my lfs, think i might see if i can get him break the rock up a bit for me so i can get a couple kilo off him.

• 4 weeks later...

so the tank is no more :( i came home from work to find a giant crack along one whole panel, and half the water on the floor. fish and inverts survived and all was quickly moved (aka thrown in) to a new 5aga.

my sps are dead as they were exposed to air for who knows how long. and my rock were half exposed to air as well.

i have everything back in the new tank. is the rock gonna cause a huge spike in ammonia? i was able to salvage about 2 gallons worth of of water and all the sand.

any suggestions or advice?

im kinda bummed right now. also, the tank lighting was upgraded to a 20" 70w sunpod. is there any chance that the light fixture caused the tank to crack(its heavier) or just bad luck.

i will post pics of everything (new FTS from before the crack, cracked tank shots, and new tank later today)

I'm so sorry to hear it cracked!

Do you have a cat? Kitty could have gone hunting while you were away... accidentally leaning on the tank.

Maybe that's why the tanks have rims...

Also, forgot to ask, but where on the build was the crack?

Could you post a picture?

Knowing where the crack was will help us figure out what went wrong.

Paleoreef103

Oh no!!! It looked so good! Sorry to hear about the tank... You could always go up to 10 gallon..

so heres the update with photos.

the tank before the crack

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

last FTS

IMG_2852.jpg

the cracked tank :mad:

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

and its new temp home

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

RIP old tank

any ideas that caused the tank to crack. could it have been the sunpod? i dont have any pic of the old tank with the sunpod.

should i build a new 10g ?

I read somewhere that extruded acrylic like the stuff from most hardware stores actually absorbs a small amount of water and can expand and crack small tanks if your false wall is a really tight fit.

I read somewhere that extruded acrylic like the stuff from most hardware stores actually absorbs a small amount of water and can expand and crack small tanks if your false wall is a really tight fit.

I've heard of this, i've read that people make the acrylic a few mm short either side to allow for movement into the sealant or the use of particular types of plastic.

Archived