Pod Your Reef

My Biocube mods

smashbeat

I started this topic as a way to talk about all the mods I did on my Biocube 14.

I bought the tank a few months ago and I'm very happy with it.

I take care of the equipment, while my wife is taking care of the livestock (researches, identification and so on).

Here are some of the modification I did in the back chambers and to the system in general. Some more will follow as soon I have some time to take pics and write.

Lighting Upgrade: I first started looking for a Sunpod 70W 16.5 but this model is out of production and it seemed to be impossible to find. So I was thinking about some DIY Metal Halide when my wife found out one on craigslist. At now, I can say this was the best upgrade. The light sits perfectly on the tank and the more power allow some more coral selection.

Here is a picture:

post-40807-1234143854_thumb.jpg

Lid: as you can see from the picture I had to build a lid. You can find my topic about that in the DIY forum following this link: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185857

Upgrated pump: I went for a Maxy-Jet 900. I had to use the Dremel tool to allow the second suction cup to sit firmly in there. There is a post somewhere that explain how to do the cut. I added a "path" so that the suction cup can stay firmly. Pics:

post-40807-1234144116_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234144121_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234144128_thumb.jpg

I had to cut also the intake tube of the Maxy-Jet, so it can get more water (as it is out of the box is wide enought to be right against that little wall that contains the stock sponge)

I dont have a picture of that.

The return flow was completed with an Hydor Flow. I cutted the giant external ring which is ment to hold a filder sponge in some other models.

post-40807-1234144392_thumb.jpg

The Coralia Nano on the other side of the tank was another great improvement. I like the way it generates some random current in conjunction with the Hydor Flow

post-40807-1234144479_thumb.jpg

Filtration

This is the situation at now:

Chamber 1: removed the bottom wall, removed the stock filter and I put a 50W heater

Chamber 2: I ditched the bioballs. I removed the bottom wall. In the order I have: Maxy-Jet 1200 (for the Remora HOB Skimmer), bottom eggcrate tray, some LR to hold the eggcrate, cheato with a 9W submersible light, standard tray,eggcrate tray and filter floss on top of it. Remora HOB Protein Skimmer.

Chamber 3: I removed the stock sponge and put a bag of Chemi Pure Elite (a little trick is to rinse it well and put a rubber band on the last inch so it will goes into its place easily). Then I have the Maxy-Jet 900, the temp probe and a suction cup that I use as water level mark.

Some pics. As you can see I cut a comb and is now used for containing the filter floss. You can adjust that so the flow will be perfect for the quantity of filter floss you have (never the same!).

I also cutted part of the wall between ch 1 and ch2 for more flow. I'm running more water in the filter area now (not as much as before to install the hob skimmer).

post-40807-1234144959_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234144974_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234144984_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234144995_thumb.jpg

Today's update is the installation of a Remora Nano Skimmer. I got the skimmer without pump so I added a Maxy-Jet 1200. I initially planned to install it between chamber 2 and chamber 3. But there was not enought room in chamber 3 for the pump. It fits chamber 2, with part of the flow kinda going back to ch 1. Not too bad.

I had to review chamber 2 set up. Now the Maxy-Jet sits on the bottom of the chamber with modified suction cups, an eggcrate shelf is holded on top of it with an hole for tubing and some pieces of LR holding it in place. Then there is cheato and the submersible light. The top tray is now made of eggcrate, with an hole for the skimmer plumbing. Filter floss is on the top of the new tray.

The Remora is new, so it is not producing any skimmate yet.

post-40807-1234502613_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234502846_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234502858_thumb.jpg

post-40807-1234502868_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
very nice mods there. diy is one of the most fun parts of this hobby!

Thanks! I agree, diy is fun with reef tanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didnt update since forever. here some pics. Check out also the 10g in the signature for update pics as well.

post-40807-1247691344_thumb.jpg

The new tank room in the basement. Soon to be repainted and there will be the 65g in the opposite wall

post-40807-1247691338_thumb.jpg

FTS, sorry for cheato, but my submersible light broke up

Nice tank and mods!

Oh....by the way....

past tense of cut = cut (not "cutted") ;)

Damn, after one year and 2 months spent in the US I'm still in trouble with verbs!

Thanks anyway ;-)

Archived