Innovative Marine Aquariums

15ish Gallon AIO Build

Shinedown

Current Photos:

2FTS4-9-09.jpg

FTS4-9-09.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone!

I'm currently in the process of setting up a 15 gallon tall reef. Still waiting on the tank to get finished...

Tank will be acrylic and will have a 6-7" dsb with about 10-15lbs live rock (depending on density I suppose).

The equipment:

Lighting: 150w hqi MH pendant (20k bulb atm ... maybe 14k later)

Skimmer: Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002

Return: Aquarium Systems Premium Maxi-Jet 1100 Utility Pump 294 gph

Powerhead: Hydor Koralia 1

Heater: ViaAqua 100w titanium heater

And here is the stand that the tank will soon sit on:

FullStandPic1.jpg

Hi,

:welcome: to Nano-reef.com!!

Plans look good, and it looks like you have been doing the research. Why the deep sand bed though? If you are setting out to build a tall nano and have the lighting, why lose all that space to sand? You will save space and money with a 3/4"-1.5" sand bed. Might I also suggest an azoo titanium heater (www.drsfostersmith.com) over the via aqua? (Experience- Via died in 6-8 months, I have had the azoo for nearly 2 years without a problem.)

What are the specs on the stand?

Good Luck, and keep us updated!! Post pics of the build too :)

Thanks, Gvtv44! I'm hoping the heater lasts long enough since I already have it lol ... I might be able to return it though ... something I ought to look into. The dsb is for the jawfish that will be going in there eventually. The stand was made from a bunch of 2x4s 4x4s and plywood that was left after fixing the fence from the hurricane lol. Still need to add trim and such because the metal brackets (painted over black) aren't very attractive =/.

Yes, if it isn't too much trouble I would exchange it- or at least watch it carefully and have a spare on hand. As for the jawfish- didn't consider that- should be really cool. Stand sounds sturdy!

Keep us updated!! ;)

Started bucket reefing today ... Tank should be done by this weekend. Got the lr from a guy in the area who is taking down his tank, so I'm not expecting much of a cycle =)

BucketReefing.jpg

And I found an Asterina starfish ... kinda bad pic but you might be able to find him (he's on the blue part of the container)

AsterinaStar.jpg

Well I'm still waiting on the tank to get made lol. The guy making it has been pretty busy, but I'm hoping it will be finished early this week. I got bored, so I made a filter rack for the first chamber and did some plumbing (happens to be the shortest plumbing job ever lol!).

Some very boring pics =/

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Anyone have sand rinsing tips? It is going to be annoying to do it seems lol

Since the tank is cycled and I am still waiting on my tank, I decided to add the first inhabitant ...

A porcelain crab. (He is in his acrylic container with some places to hide for now to make sure he isn't injured in the move, and he is already eating)

PCrab.jpg

Finished my tower of live rock today =). Used a masonry bit to drill holes through the rocks and mounted them on some fairly rigid pvc. Kinda hard to take pictures of it in a bucked but I will take some tomorrow ... I was told that my tank will be done then so I can go pick it up.

Thanks for the replies =)

i like this build so far!! and a jawfish really only needs a 4" dsb...so u could gain a lil space without the extra 3"

Yep you are right, but in the wild they make much deeper tunnels, so I was wanting to give him a little longer of a tunnel. At the moment I am going to aim for 4-6 inches, but maybe not the same depth at everywhere. At this point I don't really want to limit myself to one number because I want to wait and see what it looks like tomorrow as it is put together. I suppose the "sand scape" will also depend on where the jawfish decides to make his home lol.

Acan!

Acan.jpg

Hungry!

HungryAcan.jpg

Not Hungry?! (probably still hungry :lol: )

AcanEating.jpg

And the jawfish has been busy digging. He doesnt like any of his current holes with the lights on, so he goes back under the overhang he made and shares it with the crab. Maybe he will make something he likes soon lol ...

Buddies.jpg

Yup the rock is stable. I drilled holes through the middle of the rocks with a masonry bit then but pvc pipe through the middle of it. You can see part of the pvc in that last pic, and thanks!

Well, two days ago either the snail or the jawfish decided to move the acan closer to the duncan ... bad news lol. The acan stung the hell out of duncan :/ . Anyways I'm hoping the he makes a comeback. He's been eating, so there is some hope. Anyone have any more tips on nursing the duncan to health?

Archived