SaltCritters.com

NaNO? NaYES!

Dutch_Reefer

Hi there,

My name is Marcel and I'm from the Netherlands.

For one and a half year i have a 15G (making the assumption that 1G is 4 liters, stupid different metric systems :D ) nano running and I want to upgrade to a JBJ 28G NanoCube with 150W HQI before the end of this year. In the meantime I can read, learn and get inspired by other NanoCube owners from this forum.

I will purchase a chiller to deal with the temperature issues and a Tunze Osmolator for ATO. I will use Rowaphos and RowaCarbon as filtration material. I probably will change the stock bulb for a better one and I am currently considering UV. Do any of you NanoCube owners use UV? If so, what type?

That basically will be my initial set-up.

My goal is to create a nano with dominantly sps corals with some zoa's, gorgonians, lps, ricordeas, a Fiji leather and lots of small fish like gobies, blennies, etc and small invertebrates. As I don't know all the common US names yet I will switch between the US and Latin names. Sorry for that :) .

What definitely will be in the NanoCube is:

4 greenbanded gobies (already in current tank)

2 priolepis boreus (already in current tank)

3 discordipinna griessingeri

couple blackray shrimp gobies /w alpheus randalli pistol shrimp

rainford's goby

couple stenopus tenuirostis

In this thread I will keep you updated and hopefully show lots of beautiful pictures :D .

Greetings,

Marcel

What definitely will be in the NanoCube is:

4 greenbanded gobies (already in current tank)

2 priolepis boreus (already in current tank)

3 discordipinna griessingeri

couple blackray shrimp gobies /w alpheus randalli pistol shrimp

rainford's goby

couple stenopus tenuirostis

In this thread I will keep you updated and hopefully show lots of beautiful pictures :D .

Greetings,

Marcel

that's way to many fish! You already have way to many in your current tank. Also rainford's are not sutibale for a nano as they only eat pods and filamentious algae. At most 5 fish for that tank as the swimming room is closer to 20gals before rock is added. also discordipinna griessingeri is very reclusive, you will see nothing of them, so they're a huge waste of money.

Thanks Poop! :D

Nick, I don't think I already have to much fish. Most of the fish that I want in the tank are not active swimmers. Also all the fish will not be bigger than a couple of centimeters (even less in inches ;) ).

The griessingeris are reclusive indeed, but that's the fun! It will be a joy when you see them.

Greetings,

Marcel

Thanks Poop! :D

Nick, I don't think I already have to much fish. Most of the fish that I want in the tank are not active swimmers. Also all the fish will not be bigger than a couple of centimeters (even less in inches ;) ).

The griessingeris are reclusive indeed, but that's the fun! It will be a joy when you see them.

Greetings,

Marcel

It's not swimming roomI'm concerned about, it's the bioload. Sure this may be small, but that's a hell of a lot of little fish.. You surly can't have the rainford tho.

dahliaheartsyou

if you plan on keeping sps, bioload needs to be especially lower to keep nitrates down.

imo that is already a stocked tank, i would say overstocked because that many gobies of the same type is asking for trouble (fighting) in such a small tank so i would definitely just have 1 of each type of goby in the Nanocube, or even less and try a different species that doesn't look alike

3 discordipinna griessingeri (flaming prawn gobies) good luck, those are super tiny and super expensive and 3 is too many of any non-schooling fish in such a small tank

also, having multiple blennies usually ends up badly...

all those in a nanocube is WAY too much, not to mention for an sps tank

Wow, luckily I didn't post my full wish-list... :lol:

Surely you will agree with me that one mystery wrasse produces more bio-load than a couple of small trimmas... Also, with good filtration, weekly water changes, a healthy feeding regime coupled with a good CUC nitrates and phosphate will be kept to a minimum.

I agree with the rainford's gobie, that fish needs a mature tank or other ways to keep the fish healthy and happy.

The griessingeries aren't that exepensive here.

Some gobies need/can be kept in small groups. Blennies not, that's correct.

Greetings,

Marcel

dahliaheartsyou
Surely you will agree with me that one mystery wrasse produces more bio-load than a couple of small trimmas... Also, with good filtration, weekly water changes, a healthy feeding regime coupled with a good CUC nitrates and phosphate will be kept to a minimum.

isnt that irrelevant to your post?

wrasses require larger swimming areas that is why they arent meant for smaller tanks like the gobies can fit into...

all of those things you list are needed to keep up ANY nano tank and it isn't as simple as that.

many have tried a huge amount of fish and it always ends the same way: crashing.

nano tanks look ridiculous with a large amount of fish like that.

I don't think that's too many fish, given our Dutch friend's affinity for water changes and filtration media.

Good luck, Marcel. Make sure there's lots of nooks and crannies in the rock work so all the gobies have their own little territory, and you should be fine.

dahliaheartsyou
I don't think that's too many fish, given our Dutch friend's affinity for water changes and filtration media.

Good luck, Marcel. Make sure there's lots of nooks and crannies in the rock work so all the gobies have their own little territory, and you should be fine.

a nanocube with 13+ fish at minimum?

i think that is a little high...

Controversy aside

I'd like to see griessingeries in someones tank. I've always been interested in them and haven't seen them in anyones tanks. By the way how much ado they cost in the netherlands?

a nanocube with 13+ fish at minimum?

i think that is a little high...

It's not like he's putting them in an NC12. And they are all minute fish - plus with his proposed maintenance regimen, it is doable, imo.

Plus, he's going to do it anyway - no sense arguing with him, may as well just wish him luck and offer support.

:grouphug:

I'm starting to agree with Jeremi, The problem I see is the Balckray Shrimp gobies is that I have a yasha, she's very mean to any new additions that come by her burrow. I think agression is going to be a huge problem. It'd be awesome if this works, they are after all very small fish and if he had a big enough pod population, he could possibly pull it off with little to no feedings. If he did keep up on waterchanges as he said he would and got a sufficient cuc and made sure no food went to waste it might work. But please pics of your current tank, I love gobies, so this sounds cool, but a bit difficult to keep without issues.

Don't you people do weekly waterchanges? I have been doing them every time after the start-up period when I started my current tank (OK, maybe missed 1 or 2 :) ). I think it is essential in keeping a nano.

All the feedback baffled me really, but I really consider all pros and cons before going ahead with something especially when dealing with livestock.

So Jeremai (thanks for the kind words!) is right, I am going ahead with this because I think it's do-able and I also talked to a lot of experienced (Dutch) people who said it was do-able. I take bio-load and territorial agression into account when making decisions about new additions for my tank.

I will post my stock-list when it's finalized, it's still subject to changes due to "fine-tuning" :D ...

@brian92: flaming prawn gobies cost around €40 in Holland. I guess that's around $50?

My current tank is made ready for the transition to the NanoCube but I will post a pic anyway.

I gave away a few corals to aqua-buddies and the corals you see will be transfered to the nanocube. The clownfish and dragonets already moved to a new home and the pseudochromis fridmani and 2 cleaner shrimp will be going to an aqua-buddy soon. I'm not sure what to do with the derasa clam and Sacrophyton leather. They're getting quite big and I don't know if there's enough room in the NanoCube aquascape...

Greetings,

Marcel

post-39943-1226432024_thumb.jpg

Don't you people do weekly waterchanges? I have been doing them every time after the start-up period when I started my current tank (OK, maybe missed 1 or 2 :) ). I think it is essential in keeping a nano.

Yeah, most of us do.

Mmmm, I'm currently at 23 fish... Even I think that's a bit over the top... so maybe I have to consider abandoning the plan. Fewer gobies is no options because all of the fish I want...

Together with your feedback I am now in doubt. :huh:

A Nanocube with a pseudochromis fridmani, couple of clownfish, ecsenius stigmatura and a (couple of) YWG /w shrimp is also very nice. Somewhat bigger fish then gobies so I can add an emerald crab also to the CUC.

To start the weekend some more pics from my current tank...

Greetings,

Marcel

post-39943-1226700739_thumb.jpg

post-39943-1226700756_thumb.jpg

post-39943-1226700772_thumb.jpg

post-39943-1226700788_thumb.jpg

post-39943-1226700858_thumb.jpg

post-39943-1226700871_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Whoohooo! omgomgomg

Finally got the NanoCube! Only a few things to buy and then the great adventure can begin :)

Greetings and a happy 2009 to all of you,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
Dutch_Reefer

Yesterday I went out to buy hardware for the Nanocube but came back with a beautiful small purple sand anemone :D . It's in my current tank now and when it is in the NanoCube I will add a pair of porcelain crabs to inhabit the sandanemone. That should look awesome!

I really must pass the coral section of my LFS the next time and go straight away to the dry-goods section... :rolleyes:

Greetings,

Marcel

Archived