Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Phoenix 14k 150 HQI vs. Current 14k 150 HQI

schwaz

I like the Current way better. Look at the colors!!! I just installed the Phoenix a couple weeks ago... way too blue! Also, my leather HATES it! Could there be something wrong with my bulb?

Current

current.jpg

Phoenix

phoenix.jpg

Phoenix bulb has alot better par value and is brighter thats why your leather isnt happy. Most new bulbs take a week or two to burn in. I think you will be alot happier with the Phoenix in the long run.

The phoenix is a brighter bulb, thats why your corals are upset. Thats also why it is better, not only is it blue but it is really powerful, a hard combination to find!

I think it's too powerful. I had to use an egg crate top after I put my Phoenix bulb in. My corals just can't seem to get used to the extra light.

I just made the exact same switch and so far am loving the phoenix. I'm seeing colors in my corals I have never seen before! Still another week or two before burn in and so far so good as far as corals acclimating to the higher par.

Question....so when you change your bulb from say a 10K to a 14.5K you have to reacclimate your light?? I'm going from the Current 10K MH to a Megachrome 14.5K.

Is this going to be an issue?

Question....so when you change your bulb from say a 10K to a 14.5K you have to reacclimate your light?? I'm going from the Current 10K MH to a Megachrome 14.5K.

Is this going to be an issue?

I think you'll just have to play it by ear... I changed from stock PC lighting, to a 150 Sunpod with hardly any acclimation at all (24hrs.). No problems at all.

YUCK!

I thought the current usa 14k bulb was comparable to the phoenix 14k.

There is no way I am upgrading my bulb now. I find the current usa bulb blue enough!

YUCK!

I thought the current usa 14k bulb was comparable to the phoenix 14k.

There is no way I am upgrading my bulb now. I find the current usa bulb blue enough!

Don't forget its damn near impossible (unless your a pro) to get a true representation of color using the majority of cameras due to white balance issues.

I have the same bulb and the color is not even close to as washed out as it looks in the 2nd pic.

Don't forget its damn near impossible (unless your a pro) to get a true representation of color using the majority of cameras due to white balance issues.

I have the same bulb and the color is not even close to as washed out as it looks in the 2nd pic.

Good point.

We need a before/after pic with the auto white ballence turned off.

I think you'll just have to play it by ear... I changed from stock PC lighting, to a 150 Sunpod with hardly any acclimation at all (24hrs.). No problems at all.

Thanks. I didn't have too many issues going from stock RSM lighting to the MH. But I was under the assumption that MH is MH. And when you change K's your basically just going up the spectrum. I tried researching PARs and didn't get too far!

I don't think you want to just turn off white balance but rather adjust the photo so the white balance is accurate. I know very very very little about this, hopefully one of our resident photo pro's can chime in.

The only way I have been able to get decent representations of 14-20k color is by shooting in RAW format and then editing afterwards.

The first picture (top of the post) looks super saturated to me.

PS, is that a naked clown? He looks really cool!

Schwaz, don't feel bad about not liking it....

I had a PM awhile back from a member who said she didn't like the Phoenix at all. Said it was too blue. I think either you like it or don't.

Just my 2 cents....

hmmm interesting, i thought the phoenix was just right

but youre right, lighting, in terms of color, is more about what the person likes

now, i will never use another current bulb ever again because theyre just garbage in terms of par and color

if you like the current 14k you should try out the ushio 14k, very similar imo but better par values

when has anybody tested the current bulbs to verify they have poor par? Matter of fact 150w phoenix bulbs havent even been tested to my knowledge (at least not by sanjay) but they certaintly arent the best thing for PAR when it comes to 250w bulbs. they have decent PAR especially for a bluish bulb much like the Radiums but not spectacular or in the top 5 or anything. I'm fairly satisfied with the stock current 14k bulbs. color is simular to the aqualine 10000 13k bulb but the aqualine has sanyjay verified high PAR in every wattage so thats probably the bulb upgrade to do if you want high PAR without too much blue (I do hear the 450nm spike brings out colors better than the current bulb). its probably what I'll go with when upgrade time comes. Now I have heard the phoenix is visably brighter than the current bulb (may very well be and may have better par) but the current bulb isn't dim or suck like people claim it does. I have a few SPS and other stuff under them and they arent any worse for wear.

Different types of ballasts will change the way a bulb looks. Certain people may have more blue than others using the same bulbs with different ballasts. I have the phoenix 250 14K. It is blue, but it doesn't wash out colors at all, my stuff still looks really good under it.

Different types of ballasts will change the way a bulb looks. Certain people may have more blue than others using the same bulbs with different ballasts. I have the phoenix 250 14K. It is blue, but it doesn't wash out colors at all, my stuff still looks really good under it.

agreed, i also run a 14k Phoenix 250W DE bulb and although it is somewhat blue but not too much, just enough, pretty white on white surfaces, doesnt artificially turn whites blue, but colors that fluoresce do much better with this lamp than a much bluer XM 15k 250W DE bulb i have also

Archived