ReefCleaners.org

New Odyssea Electronic Ballast's are fine with USHIO bulb.

SaltFish35

Okay.. I am going to kill the mod details on the Odyssea 250w Electronic HID ballast - to limit further wasted effort.

The end result from my tweaking and testing is that a simple replacement of the Odyssea 250 watt DE bulb that is included, to a USHIO 14000K 250w DE bulb gives you about a 20 - 25% lumen increase and better PAR/CIR levels.

The Odyssea Ballast is good and will start and drive the USHIO bulb with no issues. I would suggest that the Odyssea ballast only be replaced when it fails - as it is quite usable and thermally stable.

The Odyssea 15000K bulb seems to have a poorer PAR and less lumen than the USHIO 250w 14000K DE bulb. The change is dramatic in my opinion.

On the Odyssea 250w electronic ballast, the USHIO 14000K 250w DE bulb looks a very crisp white light with a tad bit of pale blue - keeping it from being yellow like a 6500K. The USHIO 250w DE bulb fires/starts well and fast with the Odyssea Electronic 250w ballast (less than a min or two) - I use the ballast on a timer with no problem - running 12 hours a day.

I would say the Odyssea halide lighting system is a good buy. Replace the included bulbs though, as they are cheap and do not perform well or as desired in a established reef environment. To start your tank as a FOWLR or new start up period.. the included bulbs would be fine. When you get to adding coral and the like - swap the bulbs out to USHIO halide bulb and UVL Compacts.

Cheers.

Great stuff!

I've always thought that their (mostly as Jebo) negative reputation was greatly exaggerated.

Altho I wont use a Jebo product, I have several Odyssea stuff and really like them.

Only reason why I dont have one of their lights over my tank is I found something cheaper :) plus their MH units are a bit too wide fro a 20H.

But if I upgrade to something bigger, their lights are definately on the list.

Nice write-up. I had always been tempted to pull one of those apart and take a look. Have you measured the MOSFET temperatures since you did the mod? Measured the wattage after the mod?

Have you thought about replacing the offending MOSFET with a more beefy unit. Something like a IRFPS40N50LPbF? It has a considerably lower RDSon resistance, and is rated at 29A @ 100C continuous. Also has a better derate curve.

Thanks for the great write up SaltFish35.I am surely going to try this mod.

I have a couple of questions :

1) I am a little confused about the fans.Are you upgrading the existing fan or adding another fan on the other side of the ballast to push the air out to help cross-ventilation ?

2) Are those heat sinks specific for MOSFETs or any contact heatsink would work ? How about the regular computer CPU heatsinks with fans mounted on them...any room to fit those in?

I don't think there are any fans on that ballast, which is the problem. I wouldn't count on there being enough room in there for something like CPU heatsink. Ebay usually has a good number of heatsinks listed that could work for cheap.

No need for the mod - just replace the bulb with an new USHIO 14000K 250W DE. Light is much brigher with USHIO bulb and seems to have better PAR/CIR.

IF, you would like to tweak the ballast - apply thermal grease on the two MOSFET devices mounted to heat sinks. Outside of that - just replace the bulb.

Cheers.

Nice.

My buddy just replaced his ballasts. I'll try and convince him to let me play with one (shouldn't be too hard). I'll replace the MOSFET with the one I posted earlier to see if it will make an improvement without a fan.

Nice work.

Nice.

My buddy just replaced his ballasts. I'll try and convince him to let me play with one (shouldn't be too hard). I'll replace the MOSFET with the one I posted earlier to see if it will make an improvement without a fan.

Nice work.

Very cool! Let me know how it works.

nice update again SaltFish35....

The 123W to 247W jump is pretty big..with just additional cooling.

evilc66..please let us know how the improved MOSFET betters the wattage

I have been thinking about this more and more today. I'll order the new MOSFET tomorrow ($12 each :o) and get the ballast from him this weekend. I'll mod one and leave the other stock. I'll take my Lux and PAR meter over and get a before and after reading. I'll try and pick up a Kill-A-Watt meter too. Harbor Freight has them nice and cheap.

I'll order the new MOSFET tomorrow

evilc66..where are you getting the MOSFETs from?

I should have my new fixture by next monday..will try to pick up a kill-a-watt meter before that

Either Mouser, Digikey, Newark, or Future. Depends on if I can find a better one than I found before, and who has it cheaper.

I already talked to me buddy with the spare ballasts and he's up for the experiment. Might not be until next week that I have any kind of results. Stay tuned!

"where" is not a problem. There are many "where"s. It's the "what" that I need to pin down.

Allied is ok, but their search system on the website kinda sucks. Digikey and Mouser I find are much easier to use. But thats just me.

Think I may have found a better solution: Fairchild FDH44N50. 44A continuous, 32A @100C. A Little slower on the rise and fall times, but I don't know if that will make any impact. It's the same package as the original, and cost half as much as the first one I found.

Got some on order. Only $22 plus shipping. This could be a great fix for less than $30.

I'm going to try it without adding a fan to see how well that works first. I'll add the fan if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived