ReefCleaners.org

stupid cowrie

dsoz

Something has been eating away at my acans over the last few days. One started showing signs of something having a midnight snack a few days ago. The next day it had only 1.5 polyps left (out of 6). I moved it to the sand bed. The next night another one of my acans lost about 3 polyps (put of 8), so it moved to my sand bed as well. This morning I was up before the lights were on, and another acan (only 3 polyps) had one of my cowries on it, and it is now missing one of the polyps.

I was so mad that I wanted to smash that bugger, or turn it into a necklace.

I have a 10g tank that had some rock in it that just got done cycling, but I have not got around to doing anything with the rock yet. So I put the two cowries that I have in that bare tank until I can take them back to the LFS.

I know that they have mixed reviews, but more places stated that they were reef safe. The biggest problem listed what that they ate soft corals, which I have very few. I didn't think that they would get a taste for fresh acan. Lesson learned. No more cowries for my coral tank.

dsoz

The first was sold to me as a tiger cowrie, but it does not look like pictures that I have seen. The mantle does not extend all over the shell.

August08021.jpg

The other one is almost the same, just a little different spotted pattern

August08023.jpg

Here is the damage that they did

acan #1 (left) and acan #2 (right)

August08008-1.jpg

#1 after

August08024.jpg

only the polyp on the left is intact, and the one polyp on the far right has about 60% flesh remaining. THe other polyps have some flesh stuck down in between the "ribs" of the skeleton, so I am hoping that they recover.

acan #2 after

August08025.jpg

the two polyps on the far right are almost completely wiped out, and there is some damage on the left as well.

Acan #3

The one good polyp (out of 2.5 that I started with)

August08028.jpg

the polyp that the cowrie was eating when I caught it in the act

August08029.jpg

bad pic of my rainbow acan that the cowrie did not touch (thank goodness). It is just starting to color up with more green and orange.

August08027.jpg

dsoz

• 3 years later...

Archived