skimmerjz1.th.jpg

cut and testing some parts

hpim3287vl9.th.jpg hpim3289kn5.th.jpg hpim3292og5.th.jpg

i`m waiting for the micro-jet pump

i hope finish this nano skimmer in one or two weeks

i will post any advance

this is my first try... i used silicone ... it did not work to well

hpim3297ax8.th.jpg

and this is my second version... i am still waiting the micro-jet 450 and i have to do the collection cup

hpim3298ae8.th.jpg

i did a test with a maxi-jet 1200

i hope that i can get more microbubles with the micro-jet 450 modded

hpim3299tc5.th.jpg

comments... Suggestion???

hi

qbical i used the ventury that comes with maxi jet to do a quick test... when the other pump arrives i will put photos about the mod

thanks disasther999... yes i used acrylic glue...i think that it looks more clean :P

today after work i hope that i can start the colection cup

i use salt water... but i think that if i put the ventury directly in the compartment of the impeller (by drilling into the side of the housing of the impeller and sticking an airline tube in there) i can get more micro bubbles and no like the maxi-jet that come with an adapter pipe to put the ventury

hi

today arrive the power-head

i did some tests... but in the BC14

after 4 hour ... some pics

hpim3312og1.th.jpg hpim3313nk2.th.jpg hpim3314lb7.th.jpg

i will configure the skimmer tomorrow B)

could have just used and airstone

A pump based skimmer will always out perform an air stone skimmer. The pump, when set up with a needle or mesh wheel will chop the air into much smaller bubbles than an air stone can produce.

Firefish, how are you setting the height and keep the skimmer still in the BC14?

The Propagator

Was this a prison project?

Whats with those bars in the window in the last pic behind the skimmer you made ?

Are you in the pokey ?

:haha:

:D

:P

:)

;)

A pump based skimmer will always out perform an air stone skimmer. The pump, when set up with a needle or mesh wheel will chop the air into much smaller bubbles than an air stone can produce.

Firefish, how are you setting the height and keep the skimmer still in the BC14?

hi evilc66

the skimmer height is like 10 inches plus the collection cup, it fit the BC14 second chamber

in the first test i set the cup low to obtain a lot skim... i just have to adjust the height of the collection cup to fine tune ... i have room :happy:

hpim3320tw7.th.jpg hpim3319fs6.th.jpg hpim3316dy3.th.jpg hpim3324cd0.th.jpg

i put a active carbon bag to avoid water fall free in the chmaber or fall in skimmer top

i am geting microbubles in main display... i hope they disapear in few days

i will tray some impeller mods... maybe next saturday

Was this a prison project?

Whats with those bars in the window in the last pic behind the skimmer you made ?

Are you in the pokey ?

:haha:

:D

:P

:)

;)

jajaja... NO!!!, i am not in jail.... this is the back yard of my house... i did all the skimmer work here :lol:

i live in Costa Rica

hpim3321uy1.th.jpg hpim3322ny7.th.jpg

very nice write-up!!! i actually did the same thing. 1 of the 2 differences is i didn't make the cup removable. i will be putting a drain tube to get all of that crap out. the 2nd difference is the water outlet wall (you have a whole wall w/ (2) 1/2" exit holes). i didn't close up the water exit side at all (no top or a whole side wall). i have a little wall that goes up from the bottom & then connect it w/ the angle wall (same as you). so after the water flow overs to the exit side, it just dumps out after it reaches the top of the angle wall (i didn't think i would make a difference if i close up that whole side & make a small exit hole). plus this way i can get to half of the inside to clean it if needs be since it's not closed off. i'm also planning on putting small bio-balls in there too.

i just started trying to run skimmer this weekend in a bucket just like you (kinda strange to see something thinking so much like me!!). also i now know for sure i need some suction cups to mount the whole thing to the side of the tank since the pump is buzzing like crazy sitting on the bottom of the bucket.

good luck w/ the tuning.

skimmer8.jpg

hi

nice skimmer red97tj... it is common sense run our creations fisrt in a buket :lol:

indeed the two are similar skimmer. now in the bc14 my power head buzz a little..

good luck with your skimmer tests B)

after tweaking cup height and water level... i have this results after one day

hpim3335ne9.th.jpg hpim3337lt4.th.jpg hpim3336yu1.th.jpg

• 2 months later...

hi

well in these days i have to much free time

i try a new desing... it fit the first BC chamber (where the oceanic skimmer fit)

footprint 2"*1.5", 12" tall +pump... like 14" all

it work better than the last one... but (yes, there is alway a but) this skimmer release a lot of microbubbles to the main display, i need advise to make a microbuble tramp

hpim3413ls4.th.jpg hpim3420ax7.th.jpg hpim3421yc0.th.jpg hpim3422vb6.th.jpg hpim3423bz5.th.jpg

Archived