SaltCritters.com

Sunlight Clam Pico II (1.25g)

tinyreef

just started another sunlight powered tank last weekend. i figured i've got enough time during the summer now (with the kids all with their respective moms for vacation) to babysit another tank.

i wa going to just re-do the 2.5g AGA at first. then i saw travisurfer's 1.25g. i cursed him immediately and went out and bought the same tank. damn his teeth. :P

the frame and base were immediately tossed and what was left was a clean square/cubey tank. i actually like the taller aspect because it allows the frontal/side light that's dominant in the sunlight/window setup. a sunroom or skylight relies on more of the traditional tank approach (i.e. lighting overhead versus from an angle/side).

anyhow, here are the first pics i'm sorta happy with. i need to find my tripod. grrr.

Front/Side View (with a shaky hand focus)

2008-0717-2.jpg

I think this was from the weekend. the air pump was from the early tank (see the Pico Contest thead for more info). i couldn't find some of my other pumps though so it's a bit stronger than i'd really like. hence, the use of the valve. it's about 40%.

2008-0714-2.jpg

not sure what livestock i'm angling towards yet. most likely whatever falls off the 75g display i have downstairs. i was thinking clam at one point (2.5g) but i'm not sure with this smaller tank now.

edit: original Sunlight Pico thread

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clownfish1124

coolness!!! i really liked reading through your last thread. it's really cool you can "harbor" sunlight and keep healthy corals

thanks, clown! i was surprised how easily the corals adjusted to the (perceived) limited lighting in the previous setup.

i had more trouble with the temp and evaporation than the lighting (other than directional orientation). i expected the temp and evaporation issues though but i also expected some lighting starvation. happily, none occurred. :happy:

for this go-around i'm struggling a little with the aquascaping though. i doubt i'm going to stay with the rocks that's already in there but i haven't found or sculpted one i really like yet. i'm sure once i start filling it with livestock (another couple of weeks) tat will also impact my opinion as well.

Glad to see you doing another one of these tanks; I really liked the last one. Lots of neat organisms that you don't commonly see in artificial lit displays.

I'd like to do one of these some day... When I have the time. ;)

I'd like to do one of these some day... When I have the time.
exactly. i almost wished i opted for a larger tank this time around so i can setup an ATO and just leave the tank alone like i usually do but once i saw travis's tiny tank i was hooked on this setup. :lol:

but i think once i complete the seal on the top of the tank (i'm working on something) i will be able to just let it sit, i.e. ultra-low maintenance.

i was kinda hoping chris would have another contest so i could enter this as motivation. but now i just have to will myself to "work" on it. i'm such a lazy bastage. bleh.

hi, weet! :happy:

travisurfer

lol tiny, glad to see yours set up. that reminds me that i have to update my thread too. the tank cycled and the gsp opened up :huh:

i blame you for this tank, trav. :lol: "Let this abomination unto the lord begin!"

1st test coral for the tank (litophyton sp., it's a weed). i think it's somewhat cycled. i don't have any test kits. dang, for at least the last couple of years. :blush: well, there's a nitrite one i think is still good. i don't have the color chart or instructions though. >.< ah, it's looks ok. :P

2008-0720-1.jpg

rear view with new cover. sorry for the glare/reflection. nature of the of beast.

2008-0720-2.jpg

closeup of the new cover/hood. i fugged up the previous one pretty badly. >.< it's just a simple square this time with a simple heat-formed bend to allow access for the air line. k.i.s.s. this also shows the significant turbulence created by the bubbles. i'm actually pretty pleased with the flow too versus the previous tank.

2008-0720-3.jpg

front angle view, with the new cover and test coral (lower left in the base rock).

2008-0720-4.jpg

rear angle view, this should show a bit of the brightness involved (window). it was taken after the daily full/direct light period (about 11AM~2PM), the pic was about 3PM. this tank is actually about a foot further back than the previous tank, Sun Pico I.

2008-0720-5.jpg

travisurfer

lol tiny. it's looking great. how do you like just running an air pump? i've been considering it but i'm just not sure yet. ;) oh well, time to make the background for my tank

lol tiny. it's looking great. how do you like just running an air pump? i've been considering it but i'm just not sure yet.
actually, i like it a lot. it's reminiscent of my fw days and it's pretty effective for picos giving random/chaotic flows while keeping the surface clear (surface skimming).

originally (for the last tank), i wanted the bubbling action to try and replicate Lee Chin Eng's "Natural" reefing techniques. i wasn't quite able to replicate it using the UGF on that tank so i opted this time to just pipe the airline directly into the rockwork (a tee is anchored in-place with a cable tie).

i like the random effects on this tank MUCH more!

can't control flow too much, of course. but as you already know with such a small tank, anything moving in one direction basically pushes something else on the other side anyways. :lol:

what color are you going to do? i personally like blue but i think your tank might be black background better.

travisurfer
actually, i like it a lot. it's reminiscent of my fw days and it's pretty effective for picos giving random/chaotic flows while keeping the surface clear (surface skimming).

originally (for the last tank), i wanted the bubbling action to try and replicate Lee Chin Eng's "Natural" reefing techniques. i wasn't quite able to replicate it using the UGF on that tank so i opted this time to just pipe the airline directly into the rockwork (a tee is anchored in-place with a cable tie).

i like the random effects on this tank MUCH more!

can't control flow too much, of course. but as you already know with such a small tank, anything moving in one direction basically pushes something else on the other side anyways. :lol:

what color are you going to do? i personally like blue but i think your tank might be black background better.

yeah, it is definitely going to be black. i do like blue for bigger tanks with brighter lights, but this team just screamed black with that smexy black silicone. :P right now, i'm still waiting for the paint to dry on the plexiglass.

i actually may consider the air stone because the current powerfilter is a bit strong imo. i'll have to see what's up. the only thing is that i'd have to go with a more discreet heater. i don't even have a thermometer on the tank but i'm pretty sure it would still need a heater to keep the temps up. how often do you have to top off the tank with that cover on it? right now, i'm just losing a ton of water.

right now, i'm ordering a a 70w viper halide for my big tank so i'm trying to see if i should tag along any pico stuff. i get free shipping at $175 :lol:

i actually may consider the air stone because the current powerfilter is a bit strong imo. i'll have to see what's up.
if you do go, i'd suggest oversize the pump and then throttle it back to get the desired "flow". also, i wouldn't go with airstones (wooden or otherwise). they simply don't give the same "oomph" as big chaotic bubbles do. they also seem to salt creep more, maybe because they're more "fizzy"? :huh:

the only thing is that i'd have to go with a more discreet heater. i don't even have a thermometer on the tank but i'm pretty sure it would still need a heater to keep the temps up.
ditto. i have no idea of the temp. i took out my hydro/thermometer because of the cover and layout. the water level actually plummeted when i did that! :lol: i'm thinking of using that beta space/pad heater thingy(?) later on in the fall. trouble is with that is no controller for temp, it's just an constant on(?).

how often do you have to top off the tank with that cover on it? right now, i'm just losing a ton of water.
hmm, i just switched covers so i'll have to get back to you on the evap rate on this version. but every day on the previous cover (only a week tho) and also every day on the previous tank!

topping off is the only thing i hate about these pico (and smaller) tanks. that's really why most of my planning and time is taken up by the cover and sealing. everything else is pretty straightforward imo.

i need a tiny ATO switch. aarrrgh!!! i saw a light-sensor once but it was still "expermiental". and uber-pricey! $$$

travisurfer
if you do go, i'd suggest oversize the pump and then throttle it back to get the desired "flow". also, i wouldn't go with airstones (wooden or otherwise). they simply don't give the same "oomph" as big chaotic bubbles do. they also seem to salt creep more, maybe because they're more "fizzy"? :huh:

hmm, ok. i'd have to get some more plexiglass if i go that route. i think i have a rena100 right now which is 120 liters/hour.

ditto. i have no idea of the temp. i took out my hydro/thermometer because of the cover and layout. the water level actually plummeted when i did that! :lol: i'm thinking of using that beta space/pad heater thingy(?) later on in the fall. trouble is with that is no controller for temp, it's just an constant on(?).

i guess but i dunno. i just ordered a thermometer so i can watch it and see if i still need a heater. the house stays around 78-80 all day so i may be able to get by without it at least until winter.

hmm, i just switched covers so i'll have to get back to you on the evap rate on this version. but every day on the previous cover (only a week tho) and also every day on the previous tank!

i currently have to top off twice a day on both my tanks :(

topping off is the only thing i hate about these pico (and smaller) tanks. that's really why most of my planning and time is taken up by the cover and sealing. everything else is pretty straightforward imo.

yeah, i know what you mean...

i need a tiny ATO switch. aarrrgh!!! i saw a light-sensor once but it was still "expermiental". and uber-pricey! $$$

i need a ATO switch period. lol

i got a bunch of stuff when i ordered my new light from aquacave. the light itself was 150 but they had free shipping at 175 so you get the idea. ended up with some tongs, thermometer, airline, tees, and tubing. maybe some other little stuff that i don't remember too. lol.

Needreefunds
Ooooh, very nice! Glad you're doing another sunlight tank! :)

+1!

Great to see you at it again Tiny!

Tagging along. B)

thanks for the comments!

i actually had always planned on doing another sun tank. the real reason i killed the last tank was my consolidation of setups to lessen the workload at that time in my life. i just couldn't keep up with so many different setups.

laks, actually there's a bunch of floating microbubbles around but not too much. i think because they're much larger they're not inclined to produce the finer bubbles that would build up like in a protein skimmmer even set on low.

the last sun tank i ran was initially fed with an airstone. it created slightly more microbubbles than this one even with the larger volume available to allow them to exist longer. i found a greater flow rate and slightly lower bubble occurrence (i really didn't pay attention too much to that though) when i switched off the airstone to a simple open-ended hose (see my comments to travis above).

travisurfer
i actually had always planned on doing another sun tank. the real reason i killed the last tank was my consolidation of setups to lessen the workload at that time in my life. i just couldn't keep up with so many different setups.

i know what you mean. besides my 20H, i've had 6-ish picos setup over the past two years or so. ;)

2nd guinea pig coral was added last night. clavularia sp. this one's a dandelion coral. pretty much unkillable undernormal conditions.

2008-0722-1.jpg

pulled back view with the clavul in view. the litophyton frag is just around the corner in a crevice in the rock. the lighting's a bit muted here as the early morning was completely overcast. but it's cooler today, at least.

2008-0722-2.jpg

thanks, deb! i'm glad you enjoyed that setup. i really had fun with it. it was like starting all over again for me.

update shots

it had been cloudy and muggy and rainy the last couple of days. sun's back out so i took a couple of shots early in he morning. the one below is about 8AM, direct sunlight doesn't hit it until 11AM or so and then tracks across fo about 3-hours and then it's indirect lighting again.

2008-0725-1.jpg

added another coral: a GSP frag on LR (aka Guinea Pig Coral #3 :P )

2008-0725-2.jpg

i also started to really add livestock. hidden somewhere inside the rock or sand are two baby ceriths (their parents are in my display tank) and an asterina star (another borderline pest animal).

this tank's filling up with pest livestock. :lol:

the litophyton's a weed, the clavularia is related to dandelions, the gsp grow like crabgrass, the ceriths reproduce like cockroaches (i still ahve that awesome shot of a horde of babies eating tang poo! B) ), and these immortal asterina stars.

there's also some bristleworms and rock boring worms that hitched from the gsp frag. we'll see what else turns up. :unsure:

Archived