Cultivated Reef

DHaut's 14g Biocube

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

Here's my BC. I'll be keeping track of stock, parameters, mods, add-ons, etc. - hopefully with some great pics along the way.

As it stands:

14g Biocube

20 lbs. Live Rock

22 lbs. Live Sand

Stock everything

Hydor Koralia Nano (for waves when I get my timer)

Mods:

1. Cut fan vents off reflector for more airflow

2. Removed bioballs - replaced with LRR with plans to make a fuge.

3. Widened spillover from C1 to C2

Stock:

1 x Scarlet Leg Hermit Crab

Parameters:

pH: 8.2 (all I can measure accurately right now - getting the reef and saltwater test kits)

Night shots.

post-35397-1205982038_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1205982192_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1205982206_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 6

Big Day! Here are the new stocks:

1x Fire Shrimp

1 x Peppermint Shrimp

6 x Scarlet hermits

2 x N. Snails

5 x Cer. snails

Corals:

1 x Candy (3 heads)

1 x Mushroom (found it for cheap at a lfs - just one shroom).

Also added some cualerpa to my fuge - it's temporary until I can get some chaeto.

Now let's see if the biofilter holds (my nitrates were low and nit. and amm. were 0 before the additions). I have some emergency Amquel+ standing by.

• 1 month later...
Deleted User 6

Overdue update:

Tonight I did an overhaul on my aquascaping and I figured it was time for a new post.

Changes:

-Removed filter in C1 and added the Biocube protein skimmer (not getting any skimmate though...how long do tanks normally run before they have enough dis. solids to produce skimmate?) Using filter floss in C2 basket

-Replaced stock pump with a MJ1200

-Added Chemi-pure bag to C3 where sponge used to be

New livestock:

-2 frags of zoas

- 1 frag of GSP (not opened yet)

- Removed the mushroom to my new 5g pico (thread to be started soon)

- Couple of scarlet hermits

- Small emerald crab

Losses:

-Couple of the original hermits

Hitchhikers:

-Stomatellas

- Unknown coral (pic below)

FYI: My liverock was already cycled when I put it in the tank and I used live sand, so I didn't have much of a cycle.

Enough of this: now for some pics :-)

post-35397-1209262038_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 6

post-35397-1209262558_thumb.jpg

Candies and zoos - both kinda mad because of the move...

post-35397-1209262571_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1209262583_thumb.jpg

What is this?

post-35397-1209262599_thumb.jpg

That's my zoo tower there on the right. Can't wait for it to fill in!

post-35397-1209262616_thumb.jpg

Night shot. That crazy fuzzy thing in the middle is my fire shrimp not staying still for the time elapse.

Thanks Bees!

Great aquascape. Your candy cane coral does not look like it is doing very well. I would probably stick to soft corals until your tank has had a few more weeks to mature. Nothing good every happens fast with a reef tank.

I think your tank is going to look awesome once it is stocked and mature.

Deleted User 6

Candies were all de-puffed because of the move. They've been huge and puffed and pink the past few days, and are even starting to propogate. They're fine. But thanks for the concern.

Deleted User 6

Thanks!

Question for whoever:

I took 4 hermits and 3 snails back to my LFS, leaving me with 2 scarlet hermits, 4 nass. snails, and 2 turbo snails. I also have a BR Fire shrim and pepp. shrimp in the tank, along with a lazy emerald crab. For a CUC, am I good, or overstocked. What would you change? I plan to put 3 fish in the tank eventually...

Deleted User 6

My temp has always been at 80 avg. It usually fluctuates between 82 and 78, but very slowly and rarely reaching the high and low end of that range (depending on apartment temp.). I installed the new fans that came with the upgrade and they are 100% better than the stock fans.

I was looking at the feeding hatch this morning and I'm wondering if I can put another bulb in there...maybe a 10w cf...

Deleted User 6

So the tank is a month and a half old - my LFS is having a 50% off livestock sale this weekend. What can I get? I eventually want 3 fish and some more softies and LPS - given where I am right now (params are good: 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate), what can I stock?

Most softies and LPS would be fine. I would start with a hardier fish. Well good luck and take advantage of that sale. :)

Deleted User 6

New Additions!

BIG 50% of sale at the LFS today. Here's what I picked up with prices (pics to come):

1 - Pom Pom Xenia: $15

1 - Green Devil's Hand Leather: $22.50

1 - Orange Ric: $20

1 - Green Ric: $10

1 - Green zoo polyps rock (about 10 polyps): $10

1 - Purple firefish: $25

1 - Orange plate coral: $35

I had to restrain myself in order to not crash my tank with a new livestock overload.

So, the tank's looking better every day.

stratosphere

Wow - sounds like you scored! Update pics!!

How have you found the new fans in terms of noise? My BC14 is in our bedroom and my husband made me take out the MJ900 and go back to the stock pump because it was "too noisy" (and, to be fair, it was louder by far than the stock pump--kind of a vibrating noise that I couldn't get to stop for the life of me)...so I'm wary of getting the nanotuners upgrade for fear that the fans will be too noisy. What is your take?

Tank is looking great--looking forward to following along.

really terrific rockscape - cant wait to see it fill in, ion retrospect I wish I would have gone fuller too. you may have trouble cleaning the alage off the sides of your glass though.

But on the nanotuners upgrade...the fans are definitely louder. Im considering reinstalling the old ones to reduce the noise. On the flip side - my zoas are growing 2x as fast

Archived