ReefCleaners.org

5G DIY Nano Glass Cylinder

itz216

OK, so I've been reading ...and reading ...and reading some more. Thx everybody for posting questions ...AND the answers/opinions. Nano-reef.com continues to be a great resource as I build experience/knowledge.

Here's what I've put together ...

4 month old nano ( took this long to balance!)

Tank: (glass cylinder) floor vase from TJ Maxx. $16.00

Powerhead 301, Craigslist, FREE

Heater $25.00

9.5 lbs. Live rock @ $7.99/lb

Crushed coral gravel, 3" deep ( I know, I should have done live sand ...damn)

Clip on work light, Walmart, $8.50

20W Compact flourescent, $3.99

Livestock:

(1) juvenile Three Stripe Damsel named "Cycle"

(1) Coral Banded Shrimp

(1) Flame Scallop

(3) Hermits

(2) Snails

(1) GD Mantis Shrimp;)

(4) Mixed Zoanthids

(3) Palys

(1) Green Striped Mushroom

(1) Florida Green Ricordea

(1) Candy Cane Coral

Caulerpa

Pretty much done ...just want to add a coral or two for color ...Orange Ricordea on the way.

Anybody have suggestions? Thx.

post-34811-1203892185_thumb.jpg

5 gallons is too small for your damsel (and you have a mantis as a tankmate?!?!?!?!?!). TAKE IT OUT, PLEASE!

Also, your flame scallop will soon die unless you give proper nutrition.

Another thing, where did you get your compact fluorescent bulb?! It doesn't look like a bulb made for reef tanks. How old is your tank? That bulb's color temperature is pretty low, and I'm thinking that it will cause nuisance algae to get out of control (yellowish bulbs are perfect for growing plants)

Oh, and :welcome: to nr.com

great start! I've always wanted to setup a tank from those vases...ive looked at em a few times

the bulb, i agree is a bit yellow, get a coralife screw in bulb with proper spectrum...

the flame scallop, unfortunately is a very difficut creature to keep alive. there hasnt been very much success with them in the hobby, i dont believe there to be a true method of success for keeping them.

Welcome to NR :D

Very interesting tank! The only thing I don't like about circuliar tanks is the distortion you get when viewing. But it looks good, I like it.

Thx for all the thoughts everybody.

Yup, the light is a regular compact florescent. Yes, bad color - TOO yellow. LFS wants $25 for Coralife 50/50 20W. Waiting to order something online ...prices are about $8-$9 ( I'm frugal ...OK, down right cheap maybe).

Flame Scallop is getting MarineSnow 3 times a week. LFS has had one for over 2 years ...in a 16G, feeding same.

Yes, Damsel will out grow the tank. He was added before I knew that you SHOULDN'T use a fish to cycle a tank! Sorry fish. And no worries, I have a 55G that will be his retirement home.

Distortion actually works in the tanks favor ...everything looks REALLY big!

Mantis Shrimp ...I haven't seen it ...but every once in a while I hear what sounds like someone hitting 2 rocks together under water. Thought about building some sort of nano trap. Any ideas ...that work?

In the next couple of months I should have the tank aesthetics worked out. Found a guy to "turn" a Mahogany base and column cap. Then I'm going to DIY a copper colander into a 1/2 spherical light housing with copper tubing to hide wires for powerhead and heater. Should look nautical.

wow! 25 is way too much for that light!

Id order it as well...keep us informed on how the flame scallop works, i have tried to keep them in the past and ended up failing because i couldnt feed my tank enough due to the food and nutrient issues...

Archived