Coral Vue Hydros

JustReef's Aquapod 12

JustReef

Current Contents

--------------

Fish: Percula Clown

Inverts: Cleaner Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp, Emerald Crab, Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, Nassarius Snail, Astrea Snails

Corals: Zoas, Red Mushrooms, Torch, Sinularia (leather), Gorgonian, Acan Lord, Orange Ricordea, Blue Ricordea, Green Slimer (acropora), Xenia

Casualties

--------

Pearly Jawfish - jumped in the pump chamber & got sucked in

Neon Goby - unknown, lasted a year and then disappeared.

Randall's Goby - Carpet Surfing

Bubble Coral - unknown, I think it needed lower flow

Green Ricordea - stolen by pistol shrimp

Candy Cane - unknown, I think it needed lower flow

Cleaner Shrimp - Added sand to the tank for the jawfish

Lessons Learned

--------------

Glue down your frags

Leathers cause chemical warfare

Keep a secure top with jumpy fish

Torch200801.jpg

Sinularia200801.jpg

Gorg200801.jpg

ClownTorch200801.jpg

CleanerShrimp200801.jpg

Acan200801.jpg

• 4 months later...

Tank update! Got into SPS. Here's a pic as of today. Added an Aussie Acan, Orange Monti. Green Monti with purple rim (my new fav), pink birdsnest and some zoas.

Any idea how to keep the photo from looking washed out?

Also my green slimer isn't growing like my other stuff. Anyone keeping this under 70w MH?

FTS20080613.jpg

I started out with the stock PC lights, but switched to the 70w Sunpod. Best thing I've bought for the tank.

The green slimer has been coloring up lately, but I haven't noticed any growth. When I first got it, I tried unsuccessfully to glue it to a rock. I botched that up pretty good and it started to STN, so I fragged it. It's been ok ever since.

• 3 months later...

The 70w sunpod rules over this tank. It's the way I used to run mine till I sold ot to get a T5 sytem ot light a 33g fowlr. Big mistake on my part and now am using 150w sunpod over my tank. It gets really hard to keep your levels correct under such a massive light but growth is phenominal. That tank of yours is looking awsome though and I love the coraline growth everywhere. What level is your calc.

Nice looking tank. I have the same problem shooting my tank under 150w Sunpod.

Try adjusting with the white balance. If that doesn't do the trick, lower the exposure. You can always brighten them back up if you have a photo editor on your computer.

The 70w sunpod rules over this tank. It's the way I used to run mine till I sold ot to get a T5 sytem ot light a 33g fowlr. Big mistake on my part and now am using 150w sunpod over my tank. It gets really hard to keep your levels correct under such a massive light but growth is phenominal. That tank of yours is looking awsome though and I love the coraline growth everywhere. What level is your calc.

I agree, this light is pretty nice. I need to post up an updated pic. The birdsnest has doubled in size. Calcium is 420 just before I change the water with Oceanic salt. It hasn't been a problem, but I can't keep my Alk up. I add 1/8 tsp of baking soda every day just to keep it at 7dkh.

Nice looking tank. I have the same problem shooting my tank under 150w Sunpod.

Try adjusting with the white balance. If that doesn't do the trick, lower the exposure. You can always brighten them back up if you have a photo editor on your computer.

Thanks for the compliment. I do adjust the white balance, I will try lowering the exposure. That sounds like a good idea.

I dose baking soda to keep my alk up. About 1/8 tsp a day. My calcium stays up pretty high because of the Oceanic salt I use. I also occasionally dose Epsom Salt for my Mg.

Here's a few more shots from the tank.

Maze Brain

Platygira.jpg

Zoanthids from the bargain bin at the LFS.

UnknownZoas.jpg

Clown Hosting my torch coral.

ClownInTorch.jpg

FTS from August. I need to get an updated shot.

FTS200808.jpg

Did you have any heat issues prior to upgrading to the sunpod? Our aquapod is still completely stock plus a Hydor koralia nano pump and the tank is running at 83 - 84 degrees, even in the evening! Just wanted to see if you did any mods to help combat the heat.

Oh and what is in your avatar? It's been bugging me. The guy in the back kinda looks like Paul Rudd.

Did you have any heat issues prior to upgrading to the sunpod? Our aquapod is still completely stock plus a Hydor koralia nano pump and the tank is running at 83 - 84 degrees, even in the evening! Just wanted to see if you did any mods to help combat the heat.

Oh and what is in your avatar? It's been bugging me. The guy in the back kinda looks like Paul Rudd.

I didn't have real bad heat issues, but I did replace the pump with an MJ900 before I even set it up. I also cut put the inner slats on both fan vents on the top of the hood. That allows more air to pass through. I also replaced the fan after it died. I think I was able to keep the temp 80-82.

My avatar is the band Flight of the Conchords. They have a show on HBO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Things are still going good wtih this tank. One thing to note is my Koralia nano died after less than a year of running. I've always had trouble with it restarting. Anyone ever have this happen?

I don't plan on replacing it since the 40BR is so close to be ready.

Pretty sweet. I'm a noob and am continually amazed by what can be achieved with these Aquapod/Nanocubes. Hopefully I'll be able to get one started soon.

Ugh, I missed this one.. Beautiful tank, looks so natural. :)

Thanks!

Great looking tank. Looks like your SPS are growing really well.

What are you using for a skimmer?

SPS is growing too well. My birdsnest is getting out of control. I just switched to an Astrulux 14K and it is finally starting to pink up. It was always brown under the Current USA bulb.

No skimmer, just 10% water change every week and 1/8 tsp of baking soda daily.

Thanks!

SPS is growing too well. My birdsnest is getting out of control. I just switched to an Astrulux 14K and it is finally starting to pink up. It was always brown under the Current USA bulb.

beautiful tank. an inspiration.

• 1 month later...

What's the purpose of the baking soda? Is it PH related? Your tank is amazing, btw. Thanks for all the pics.

What's the purpose of the baking soda? Is it PH related? Your tank is amazing, btw. Thanks for all the pics.

Baking soda boosts alkalinity. 1/8 tsp raises this size tank about 1dkh.

beautiful tank. an inspiration.

Thanks.

Here are the final pics of my AP12. I'm tearing it down slowly add putting stuff in the new 40 breeder.

Pink Birdsnest when I got it.

Birdsnest.jpg

Now

PinkBirdsnestBig.jpg

Mushrooms

Mushrooms.jpg

Acan - It wasn't until I started comparing these shots that I noticed how big it has gotten.

RedAcan.jpg

Perc Clown and Torch

TorchAndClown.jpg

Maze Brain and algae

MazeBrain.jpg

Xenia

Xenia.jpg

Green cap with purple rim. I can never capture how purple the rim is with my camera.

GreenMontiCap.jpg

Orange Zoas

BamBamOrange.jpg

Back chambers - sponge keeps the chaeto in the fuge.

BackChambers.jpg

Baby Torch - I have two of these that just sprang out of the rock.

BabyTorch.jpg

Top Down Shot

TopDown.jpg

Last Full Tank Shot

AP12FTS20090305.jpg

Despite moving on to a larger tank, I'm still sad to see this one go. :(

Archived