ReefCleaners.org

Too Many Amphipods

Runnin_Amok

:huh: I have a 10 gal old fashoned aquarium. So far all I have are snails, hermit crabs, two pepermint shrimp, two neon gobies, and four corals. I've always heard the Amphipods are a good thing. Well, with nothing in there to eat them, they've taken over. After lights out, if you shine a light in there, it looks like an ant hill you just put your boot through. It's so bad, I think it's starting to disturb the other occupants. Not sure how big of an affect it has on overall bio-load. Anyway, I was wondering what would be a good Amphipod eater to get that won't bother the rest of the tank? Plus, if it does a good job, it will have to be satisfied with frozen food...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

:huh: I have a 10 gal old fashoned aquarium. So far all I have are snails, hermit crabs, two pepermint shrimp, two neon gobies, and four corals. I've always heard the Amphipods are a good thing. Well, with nothing in there to eat them, they've taken over. After lights out, if you shine a light in there, it looks like an ant hill you just put your boot through. It's so bad, I think it's starting to disturb the other occupants. Not sure how big of an affect it has on overall bio-load. Anyway, I was wondering what would be a good Amphipod eater to get that won't bother the rest of the tank? Plus, if it does a good job, it will have to be satisfied with frozen food...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Get a 6 Sixline wrasse. It will help reduce your pod population while not being picky on the kind of food you feed it. It will eat anything from Flakes to frozen food. It's also very small so it won't increase your bioload by much.

Get a 6 Sixline wrasse. It will help reduce your pod population while not being picky on the kind of food you feed it. It will eat anything from Flakes to frozen food. It's also very small so it won't increase your bioload by much.

Are you sure a 10 gal is big enough for one?

Are you sure a 10 gal is big enough for one?

Absolutely. A six line is very small, it's only like 1-1.5 inch. Doesn't get too big and doesn't need a big tank, just lots of LR to hide and sleep at night. The more hiding places you have, the more you will see it swim and not be hiding.

Absolutely. A six line is very small, it's only like 1-1.5 inch. Doesn't get too big and doesn't need a big tank, just lots of LR to hide and sleep at night. The more hiding places you have, the more you will see it swim and not be hiding.
Okay, that sounds like a plan. Hope my LFS has them in stock.

The six line will definitely do the job. I had a similar situation and now the only pods that are alive live in the back of the tank. One fat/happy wrasse that is one of the more active/interesting fish I've owned.

take them out and sell them. That's what i've been thinking about doing in my fishless frag tank. I have 1000s of mysis too.

LOL... When you find a way to catch them, let me know.

The six line will definitely do the job. I had a similar situation and now the only pods that are alive live in the back of the tank. One fat/happy wrasse that is one of the more active/interesting fish I've owned.

Fat and wrassey?

uglyamericanV1.5

dartfish will eat them just as well....

i added pods for my blenny and the two dart fish took right after the pods.....very greedy...

and can keepable in the long term in a 10 gallon

i dont believe a six line will be happy as he grows up....

Archived