Coral Vue Hydros

robmacy's 2.5g AGA Pico

robmacy

Here it is. In all its magesty!

Tank - 2.5g AGA Standard

Filter - AC50 fuge setup w/PVC overflow (soon to be 2.5g sump/refugium with new u-tube overflow)

Heater - Titanium 50w (inside AC50)

Light - Catfish Lighting 24w PC w/12,000K bulb (1/4" acrylic standoffs) (soon to be 39w PCs)

Substrate - Caribsea Special Grade reef sand (soon to be bare-bottom)

LR - figi premium

Full setup

fts011508.jpg

Front of glass

fts011508_ft.jpg

Top of AC50 fuge conversion

fuge_top.jpg

PVC overflow skimmer

pico_overflow.jpg

Some macro of corals:

Shrooms

pico_shrooms.jpg

Steel Blue Palys

pico_steelblue_palys.jpg

Yellow Palys (green mouths)

pico_yellow_palys.jpg

Green Yuma (purple base)

pico_greenyuma.jpg

your tank looks very nice! how long has it been set up?

running now for 6 months. but the stock came from about 2-3yrs worth of transferred setups.

awesome tank, looking good

do you have plans for any inverts or small gobies?

I've got a bunch of blue-legs, snails and such. I plan on adding a couple peppermint shrimps to nab a few little aptasias.

I don't want to add any gobies yet until i set up an AGA 2.5 sump/refuigium behind it. I just don't want to stress a large bioload on the tank and bring up nitrates.

I'm making a 2.5 AGA with glass dividers so i can put a skimmer in it. It will make a world of difference. Stay tuned and you'll see some pics and tricks. :P

I absolutely love the look of the rock and the aquascape.

What kind of rock is it?

I really like the yuma too.

the rock is real figi that was specially shipped as base rock to a friend that i know who has worldly connections.

Began work on the 2.5g refugium that will be placed behind the tank. I had Lowe's cut me glass baffles to my specs and the silicone is starting to dry on the first of 3 internal baffles. Stay tuned folks. Dare I say this may be the first 2.5g all glass sump/refugium ever built?!

Also, lots of people have been PMing me about the current PVC overflow and how it is made. I have additional pics to post at a later time and will let you all in on the setup.

ok your tank is nice... but fully custom? when i think custom i think it was made from scratch... your using an unmodded 2.5g tank, with an AC that you did a fuge mod to and a overflow mod for the intake... did you drill it for the sump? but all that aside nice tank...

ok your tank is nice... but fully custom? when i think custom i think it was made from scratch... your using an unmodded 2.5g tank, with an AC that you did a fuge mod to and a overflow mod for the intake... did you drill it for the sump? but all that aside nice tank...

the tanks was made from scratch. just by All-Glass Aquariums, not by me. :D

i did mod the top of the tank trim by bonding the light stand-offs to it with weld-on.

as a token of my appreciation for your comment, i'll remove the 'fully custom' and replace with something more suitable

could you tell more about the PVC overflow.. I am considering this...

Did you build it? Is it skimming the surface well? how do you keep it from floating? do you have some media inside it to catch the surface junk, or does all teh surface junk just build up inside?

Overflow/Skimming mod for HOB filters

2" PVC pipe cut to length from bottom of tank to top. Then notched out to accommodate the lip from the HOB filter. Un-notched section is routered to give skimming inlets (1/4" bit). I have a small video clip if anyone wants to send me their email. :)

Here's pics.

PVC_of_top.jpg

PVC_of_full.jpg

PVC_of_frt.jpg

here is the pico 2.5g sump/refugium that will replace my AC50 filter. the inspiration came from my 25g sump that I had on a larger tank. it will go directly in back of the display tank. i'll paint the sides black so that it looks stealthy.

glass baffles have been siliconed in to create the same effect as the larger one and in the same configuration. I will place an overflow u-tube that runs fron the pvc skimmer to the inlet chamber and than a minjet 606 return pump in the return chamber (probably with a spraybar).

i have enough room for 1.5" sandbed to pile up ruble rock and grow macro algae in.

this little sucker can handle quite the flow volume. i tested it by dumping in a gallon of water into the inlet as fast as I could and it didn't even back up! i'm thinking this could handle about 300-400 gph.

letting it soak in RO water for now to degas the silicone that was added. more to come when it is ready to install.

pico_sump_25gsump.jpg

pico_sump_test2.jpg

pico_sump_test1.jpg

hey, can you send the video to my email....lilshoe2@hotmail.com TIA thats a sweet setup....lol I might have to copy it :)

thanks. i'll send you the video of the overflow with the AC50 on it. still working on the sump/fuge. i need a return pump and a u-tube to get that going. plus need to paint the sides black to make it stealthy. :)

also working on a DIY 70w metal halide light. more details on that later.

saltyshoe_nano

hey, is there any way to paint the pvc pipe? so it isnt sticking out so much? like painting the back and sides of the tank to make it stealthy?? JW incase I do copy :)

hey, is there any way to paint the pvc pipe? so it isnt sticking out so much? like painting the back and sides of the tank to make it stealthy?? JW incase I do copy :)

I'm going to be making a batch of grey PVC ones made to fit 2.5g AGAs. LMK if you want one. $5 shipped. I got to go get the grey stock pipe first.

I don't recommend paint inside any aquarium.

you can paint them with krylon fusion... works well... just let it cure for a few days... i have my overflow painted

EDIT: krylon fusion becomes inert and actually bonds with plastic

yeah, I might buy one from ya...depends on what the girlfriend...aka wife lol says

I read ya loud-n-clear on that one! :D

If there's enough interest I have a bunch of other mods for picos and actually considering becoming a sponsor of NR.com. One stop shop for pico goodies :) including all-in-one kits minus the 2.5 AGA (cuz shippin glass isn't my cup of tea).

Archived