Coral Vue Hydros

My Red Sea Max tank cracked

shramj

I just wanted to let everyone know that the glass on my Red Sea Max cracked. I am not sure why either; the tank was level, I didn't have any sudden temp change, nothing feel into the tank. As you can see the crack goes from top to bottom and wraps around the side to the front. It poured out about half the water and then the leak slowed and we were able to get our livestock out; then it poured out again until it was almost empty. I think it was a manufactors defect because I have no other way to explain it. I am going to call Red Sea about it.

Cracked_Aquairum_007.jpg

let us know how it turns out with Red Sea. That just suck man, sorry to hear about that one.

Any thoughts on if it was the MH retrofit you put on? Extra heat, etc.... I doubt it but you never know what they design the glass to handle.

Good luck! B)

It looks like your tank isn't quite on the stand all the way in the back. Is that the case? If so that could be the cause of the tank crack.

UH

I think it may just be the picture, it is on the stand squarely. I do not think it is the MH hood. It cracked after the lights were off and I also have a chiller on the tank. We woke up to the sound of a waterfall in our living room. Yesterday was not a fun day but it could have been worse. What if we were out of town or at work? I really wish I knew why it happened, I am nervous about it now. I ran out and picked up another tank from a LFS but I only used the tank, none of the parts. Hopefully RedSea will take care of me, I only had the tank since May! Does anyone have Pinky's contact information? She hooked me up with new fans in the past for my hood.

Hopefully she is understanding, i can't see why not. This shouldn't happen, the glass imo is very thick and of good quality.

Pinky Bulot

U.S.A. Office:

Red Sea

18125 Ammi Trail

Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205

Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

redseainfo@redseafish.com

That is so awesome! I have had only good experience with her, but it was over a fan, not an entire tank! Still sucks that you may lose livestock, but they seem like a great company.

• 9 months later...

I had the same problem on 22nd September 2008 with my Red Sea Max. It was fine at breakfast time, but when I fortunately returned at 12 noon, half the water was on the floor and it was puring out through a crack in the rear control panel compartment where all the electric are! With my wife help we managed to bag up everything and took it to our LFS (50 miles away) and everything has survived.

I called Interpet who are the UK distributor and they were very concerned and helpful, offering me a new tank or a full refund. I declined the new tank offer as I said I wouldn't feel confortable with another one, never being able to trust it. The tank was also on a totally level floor (concrete) and I was careful to make sure it was level from the outset. I had only had the tank since the end of July 2008!

I got a full refund via the shop where I bought it wqho were great and have now ordered a custom built tank and mud sump system 30" wide by 24" high by 18" deep with a 24" sump, so almost twice the capacity.

I got on well with the Max, except for overheating on some hot summer days.

Hope you sorted your Max problems with the manufacturer?

all the best

masterbuilder

Seems almost all brands of the "curved corner" tanks have had a problem or two with cracking. Of the ones I have seen, they have cracked in the same general area. Just aft of the bent corner, from the top down towards the bottom. I think that it’s just the nature of the design, I mean how often do we see traditional siliconed corner tanks crack. It must make them very sensitive to any small stresses, from handling, unlevel stands, tweaking during shipping, etc. Think the glass has to be much thicker, the manf. process needs to be changed, or something. I will lay odds that the glass for all of these style tanks are made by the same manufacturer. Not bashing RSM or any other brand of these types of designs. I like these tanks and owned a similar design.

Sorry it happened...must be a nightmare. Not just the awfulness that happens to the livestock, but also the 30 gallons of saltwater spread around the house, the scramble to set up a temp tank and on and on and on. What a major pain in the a$$.

Archived