Coral Vue Hydros

Duderubble's 20 Long

duderubble

OK so finally I'm getting this up. The tank is I think 4 months old. I had a 20L tank the previous owners had left in the house and a 10 Gal of my own and just decided (when my wife was out of town), "Hey I'll try a salt water tank!"

I have a 125 Goldfish with a HOB overflow I bought off a reefer and he told me eventually I'd come over to the dark side, but the cost was just too much on a large tank. Still as it is I've got more $ in the 20 than the 125.

I started out with a single 2 X 24 T5 fixture the kind w/o ind. reflectors. Then I added a second, then a couple weeks ago I put together a DIY 175 MH because my LFS had clearance ballasts for $31.

Fish:

Clown (perc or ocellaris?)

Strawberry Pseudochromis

Cherub Pygmy Angel (who lives in fear of the dottyback)

Serpent star

Inverts:

1 pepermint Shrimp

about 10 hermits

3 Turbos and a few other assorted snails

Emerald Crab

Coral:

Gonipora (yeah I know now, but didn't then--still it seems to be doing well and the clown loves it.)

Red & green Monti

Lots of Zoos, Palys and GSP

assorted mushrooms

My Free dying Rics from petco.

Finger leather

post-29133-1193009794_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1193009828_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1193009856_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1193009879_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1193009899_thumb.jpg

More to follow. The rics are starting to show more bright green against the pink base. I'm guessing that's the true color. Mouths are starting to appear, still white and smooth, so Floridas, I'm guessing, right? Zoos/Palys have started to color up nicely under MH. They had done fine under T5 but were blase. Now the brown with green mouths have taken on a deep metalic green cast in the whole face. Others have gone to orange in the face and the green fringed ones have developed light blue faces.oops, those last palys are not the ones coloring up, those are the free ones from petco that came with the rics. They clearly have people eater green mouths but are still depressingly brown other than that. but they are still quite PO'd.

post-29133-1193366689_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1193366719_thumb.jpg

No Comments, eh?

You force me to post a pic of my daughter. We brought her home from China 6 months ago and she's 18 months now. She has three older siblings (all captive bred).

post-29133-1193454791_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The overflow works pretty well, it will lose siphon if I forget to top off and the flow slows, it really needs a real u-tube, the elbows collect air bubbles when the flow is too slow. The angle of the shot doesn't show that the rear specimen box has two chambers to maintain siphon. It's noisy too, but it's a ghetto tank in my basement. Yardboy was one of my inspirations.

The return pump is a Rio, something or other. There's somewhere around 200 GPH through the fuge. The only additional flow is a powersweep 212. I'm thinking of replacing the powersweep with a Koralia 2.

The spraybar works great, it's a nice wide flow and keeps the surface stirred. One row of holes is almost parallel to the surface and one is directed to the center of the tank. The PVC isn't glued at the last elbow, so I can redirect the angle of the flow as desired.

Do you get much detrital settling?

Poop on the bottom of the tank? Yeah. The fuge keeps the nitrates zeroed out but there's poop to be siphoned or vacuumed.

I am sure it isn't just poop but also some flocculation of other organic leftovers in the water.

I ask because I am still trying to decide what return plumbing to construct for my 20L. I want to avoid detrital settling as much as possible without having t upgrade pumps.

I had toyed with the idea of a spray bar but I don't think I'll get enough directed flow out of it.

Do you get much detrital settling?

Ok so I put in the Koralia 2 in place of the powersweep and I want to change my answer. It looks like nothing will ever again be able to settle to the bottom of the tank, ever.

I'm guessing that sucker will have to be off to feed anything.

The mushrooms all look unhappy with me. Anyone know if they'll get used to the new flow or If I'll have to find safer places for them?

Latest pics

Notice Simba saying "Hey is this 'Gone With the Wind' or what?

The cowrie was a hitchhiker on the rock with GSP and palys. He disappeared for two weeks after arrival and now is out almost every day.

post-29133-1194467740_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1194467766_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1194467794_thumb.jpg

post-29133-1194467833_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Latest pics

Notice Simba saying "Hey is this 'Gone With the Wind' or what?

The cowrie was a hitchhiker on the rock with GSP and palys. He disappeared for two weeks after arrival and now is out almost every day.

looking good, any updates?

No new pics. I'm moving cross country and need to sell all livestock since I won't have a place to put the tank for awhile. See the livestock classified section.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived