ReefCleaners.org

Sand Bed Depth?

The Saltwater Kid

Most people will probably say in a 29 gallon to use 1/2 inch to 1-inch of sand. I have 1-inch, the sand comes just above the plasitc cowling on my BC29g. I have had no issues to date.

The Saltwater Kid

sounds good, that's what I think I'll do as well. Right now my sand comes maybe an 1/8" above the plastic trim on the bottom and I think I'm gonna' leave it there. If you add too much sand it'll end up limiting you on what aquascape you can incoporate as it will raise the level of rocks too.

If you add too much sand it'll end up limiting you on what aquascape you can incoporate as it will raise the level of rocks too.

I agree less is better, but the amount of sand should have no effect on the height of your aquascaping. Properly placed rocks should be on the bottom of the tank. Putting your aquascape on top of the sand is bad for different reasons.

First it will compact the sand creating large dead spots in the substrate

Second if your aquascape is on top of the sand, if any fish decide to do some digging, down comes the rocks possible damaging corals or even worse causing a crack in the glass.

Just something to think about

Thats basically what I did.

Just remember that some of the corals your get will come attached to rock and make sure to plan for that.

here is what I started with 23lbs LR

FTS.1.jpg

and where I am today

newestFTS.jpg

I put 20 lbs LS so I ended with only about 1/2" or less of a sandbed. It makes it pretty easy to wiggle rocks down to the bottom as I have added them.

Archived