Top Shelf Aquatics

Large green worm

flricordia

Appears after lights out, about 8-10 inches long, hasn't posed a threat to any reef inhabitants, won't accept prepared foods, at least that I know of. Thanks

8473greenwormlike-med.jpg

8473greenwormlike_(1)-med.jpg

I freaked out when I first encountered it. It was living in a large cavern in a piece of LR. It is intense flourescent green under lighting. I have searched the web with no luck on ID.

Pretty sure it is of Caribbean origin.

Did you see the story on the Palm Beach Post and WPTV a couple months back about that HUGE worm the guy found on the reef off of Palm Beach County? Some kinda unidentifiable, about 6-7 feet long, if I remember correctly. Even the folks at the Smithsonian were unable to ID it.... That's what YOUR wormy made me think of!

*edit* Well, not YOUR wormy, the one in your tank!

Possibly a ribbonworm. Not harmful to the tankmates. But it can get fairly large - I've heard of 30 feet for some species, probably larger.

Edit: Just read a bit more - many species are carnivorous on small inverts, most likely shrimp.

Thanks dshnarw. That's what is is, a ribbonworm and I suspect it to not be harmful since it has been in the tank since startup and not caused any problems. I am thinking of catching it, segmenting it and seeing if anyone else is interested in one. It is the most flourescent green I have ever seen.

I also have a large bristle worm that holes up with my Carribean pistol shrimp. It somes out to feed once in a while taking a pellet. Cool and not a harmful species since none of my corals, clams or fish seem to be affected.

When I had my Tiger pistol and paired yellow watchman gobies the bristlw worm lived with them in harmony. I sent the gobies and tiger to a 240 whewre they are happy as can be.

The Propagator

have you gotten a look at its head?

In this photo you posted it looks as if the head is facing the rock work away from the glass. If this is true then I think I see eyes, and a slender nose.

IF that is true then its a ribbon eel.

have you gotten a look at its head?

In this photo you posted it looks as if the head is facing the rock work away from the glass. If this is true then I think I see eyes, and a slender nose.

IF that is true then its a ribbon eel.

Wish it was, but it is a worm as it contracts and stretches, also segmented like a worm. I have held it when I first found it in the rock I had cracked open. It was a Caribbean piece. No doubt an invertebrate.

Archived