Coral Vue Hydros

Reefbowl video, first blended sps/lps pico

brandon429

There were no -pico- reef boards whatsoever back in 2001 when this reefbowl was setup, the term didn't even exist!

my buddies are eye-rolling as this is surely the 85th back-to-life of these pictures, I only came up for one more breath cuz the video link is new :) I promise I'm good now until at least 2010.

by the time of this video it was 2.5 years old I think-the coralline is the easiest diagnostic tool of the stable pico reef aquarium and one heck of an instant age verifier. these reefs were all I had back then so I kinda overdid the posting of pics on the web, I can think of at least 100 separate threads on the bowl alone across the boards...there was no book literature on the subject, only literature to the contrary regarding stability, but there was nano-reef.com which was the first website on small reefs I had ever seen. I think it was in 2002 I first saw your board Chris and mighty complements on where you've taken her since.

When I used to experiment with micro reefs I was always aiming for longevity, I never wanted to consider anything that wouldn't live at least over a year guaranteed without constant interruption, specimen exchanges etc. They work great provided your home ac never goes out on a 105 degree day :)

It's been a while since I've worked with pico reefs and I miss that time- now I'm into other looney hobbies but I've never been without a reefbowl (had more than one always due to AC failures, bad luck in that area) for I guess 7 years now. Now that the 'tube is out there, it's a whole new perspective of an aging subject, the reefbowl and the first (and still only if I'm not mistaken) 100% sealed, no topoff SPS/LPS pico reef stable at 1/2 gallon keeping better coral than some 20's.

The Square/Sealed reef has three subdivisions, an internal refugium which is proportioned to completely sustain all oxygen production, and another subtank insided that which houses a little hairy green crab I don't want crawling over all my sps. These picos are years old, they exactly as stable as larger reefs.

more pics:

and these, the final SPS shot after over a year of 'cooking. I have hoped this is the only documented proof of table-top acropora growth forms achieved in the pico reef.

I didn't just throw in the fish, the panda goby, it was the result of 4 years constant pico design and it was a carefully planned perfect biological match in terms of behavioral tendencies, bioloading, hardiness and feed demands. I consider it the highlight of my reefs, and ethically sound as well due to all parameters considered. These fish don't move around a lot if there is food available and ultra-clean water, they rest on coral heads most all their lives. Obviously I don't recommend fishkeeping in pico reefs, but this one was carefully planned just this once.

post-138-1182397609_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182397746_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182397782_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182397812_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182398010_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182398026_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182398036_thumb.jpg

post-138-1182398071_thumb.jpg

^^+1^^ Those are just plain crazy. So if they are sealed, how do you keep them so clean. And what are you using for water circulation, just an air pump? Also, did you start out with water and rock from established reefs? Sorry about the questions, but those are soooooooooo sweet!

Hey thanks dud and civ

They stay clean due to bioloading control, corals aren't all that much bioload even if you pack them in. I have always changed water before an algae break, not because of one-change it at least weekly. a car will also run on 2 quarts oil, but it lowers the lifespan. Same thing for pressing water change frequency to the max, it'll contaminate a pico permanently.

The system needs to have inherent stability before you'd want to risk that much coral, but after they're set if you can keep your house AC below 74 degrees at all times they'll live forever with regular pruning and relocation of frags, etc.

the correct dosing for these tanks involves only C-balance, a capfull every other day of alternating solutions A and B strictly in the morning. Nothing else needs to be added, if you'll feed them cyclopeeze sometimes they'll get plenty of nutrients, no other dosing helps whatsoever. This is pretty much the case for all sub gallon reefs, even though other dosing routines also work if you calculate the consumption and addition ratios.

the bowl is only partially sealed, it has to airvent the stone's fizz. The lid funnels the splatter back into the inner diameter neck of the bowl, it's a vase from wal mart for flowers. 1 gallon when full of about 4lbs rock. I simply bought reefrock from the store, clean sand, set it up with a small chunk of mushroom corals and added from there. The bowl has to be topped off about every 3 days. To set it for a vacation, you simply bring it down to .022 slowly then it's good for a week.

Pico reefs need circulation that eliminates dead pockets for long life, stagnancy is a chief factor in old tank syndrome, often achieved in about 5-8 months for many pico reefs. Another key is you have to keep adding small bits of food even if it's a coral only system. Underfeeding also limits the coral voracity in many pico reefs. You feed only the amount 'the system' absorbs and leaves you the least amount of brown detritus on the floor. When you see it, vaccuum it up with an airline hose siphon...

the square reef is totally sealed, the lid lifts up off a weatherstrip seal to allow cleanings, changes, coral access.

the square reef uses a minijet powerhead, angled sideways:

check out the cabling through the glass, another design invention-cut the cables, run them through grommets, resolder

post-138-1182400647_thumb.jpg

RayWhisperer

Wow....

I've read a few of your threads on other boards. I've always found your pico's to be amazing.

One question... Whatever became of the plenum design pico you were working on?

UNAreefLion

When i saw your tank(s) my jaw dropped... the size of the tank and and the work.. just simlpy amazing!!

Archived