ReefCleaners.org

is this mojano?

dsoz

I got a bucket of crushed coral from another local reefer, and am using it to seed my tank. I put it in a couple of bowls and set them on the bottom of my tank. I am hoping that the "good stuff" will crawl out on it's own, then I can pitch the crushed coral later.

I have been watching little snails crawl out, there are mini-stars reported to be in there (not seen any), and the amphipods that it was supposed to come with are AWOL for the time being. We did find a peanut worm while we were taking the CC out of the old tank. This went into the new tank of the guy that was giving me the CC.

I have found two of these little guys. One I threw into the garbage last night (did not know what it was, and did not have time to ask before bed), and the other I found this morning. I "isolated" him in a small bowl until after work. When I got home I took some pictures to see if anyone can tell me what it is. I don't think it is aptasia, and I cannot match it to any pictures of mojano. Is it a coral that is growing from the old, established tank?

The first picture is clear, but distant. THe close-ups are blurry.

P1010125-1.jpg

P1010127.jpg

P1010129.jpg

Thanks for your time. :)

dsoz

anyone? bump.

It is about 1/8 in. diameter. Red base, clear with red stripes in the disk, and little tiny white dots on the arms.

i dont know but iv'e had them since i started reef keeping. I think they are indeed a type of anemone but not a mojano. In my experience they dont get much bigger then pictured. I hope someone has a name for them.

werd

Bin

that looks like Cladocora Arbuscula look it up i have some in my tank kind of looks like super mini blastos with longer tentacles

OK, is it good or bad? Should I get rid of the one I have isolated in a little cup, or put it back in the main tank?

Thanks again

Looks like a Pseudocorynactis sp. to me. I've had one in my tank about twice that size. Most are predatory towards inverts when smaller and can go after fish when larger. Best bet is to get rid of it now.

AdvancedAquarist.com has some info on them at the bottom of the page.

wow, how could you tell from that blur. do you have a macro mode or access to a camera with macro? most point and shoots have macro feature now.

wow, how could you tell from that blur. do you have a macro mode or access to a camera with macro? most point and shoots have macro feature now.

I am also amaized by the ability of some people to identify something from a blurry blob on a screen. I have seen much worse pictures posted, and identifications made from them. I know that my pictures will not win awards, but I am in this for the tank and the animals, not for taking great photos. Under the circumstances, I thought that the pics wern't that bad. (not POTM category, but not something that should be criticized) Please try not to bash.

That picture was taken with a digicam that is 6 years old. It is only 2.1 Mpixels. That WAS with the macro mode on. The first picture was when the thing was in the tank about 4 inches away. Clear, but not very big. The other picture was when the thing was in a small clear dish out of the tank. Blurry as all get out, but the macro was on... IDK, I'll work with it. Photography is not a field that I have had much practice in. I was in a hurry, because I was in between taking one kid somewhere, and doing something with another kid... I was doing the best that I could with the equipment and the time that I had.

dsoz

Archived