ReefCleaners.org

The Duncanopsammia Axifuga thread

reeefermadness

reeefermadness

This is a thread to show off/discuss your Duncanopsammia Axifuga...

Since purchasing my first piece of this coral a few months ago, it has quickly become one of my favourites, mostly due to how fast it grows, and the rarity factor of it!

In my experience, it likes moderate-low flow. I have grown and fragged 3 different varieties of this coral, and all seem to grow at a similar rate (FAST!) and have the same needs.

I target feed mysis soaked in selcon every few days, and even the baby polyps seem to take in a full piece of mysis.

The easiest way to frag them is with a dremel, the frag should then be put in a low flow area to recover. The frags will usually lose a little bit of color and shrivel after fragging/shipping, but usually recover in a day or two...

If anyone else has anything else they would like to add, please feel free, and post up some pics if you have some!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice duncans ;)

These corals are akin to "mini-elegance corals" ... they're photosynthetic which makes them better candidates as opposed to tubastrea (sun coral) which are non-photosynthetic and rely on feeding.

When I get the chance I'll post a pic of my frag :D

I've been dreaming of duncans after seeing them on here for a while - finally picked some up at the SW Coral Farmers Market last weekend. I won the auction for this piece of ORA duncans, blown away when I got it home to find it had 3 large and 3 smaller polyps, $125! Thanks AWExotics! Pics are from the first day in the tank, they're looking even better now, the green is getting amazing. B)

duncans1.jpgduncans2.jpg

reeefermadness

Great find! You got a steal! make sure you target feed it, and you will have babies popping up all over the place!

They are mostly so expensive due to the fact that they are illegal to export. They originate on the great barrier reef. LFS in australia have them by the 1000s and they are very cheap. Then again, they get to pay $50 for cleaner shrimp there...

They use those tentacles to feed. THey can consume mysis very quickly ~1 minute, then come back for more!

Basser: where are you getting dendros at a decent price?

so far my favorite! because its my most expensive haha but I got one big head and two little ones popping off it! can't wait to grow this baby out.

I'm thinking about picking some up next week but not sure its worth it. Sure they are beautiful but by next year they may also be 100% cheaper.

Roe's Marine World has single heads of several varieties on sale on Ebay right now for ~$30 per head. +$35 flat fee ship.

FYI

they're going to be for sale thursday here for the first time. Still unsure if I should get one now or wait. there will be a mob outside the store before opening.

Well, after looking and procrastinating, I placed an order today for some of these:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZroesmarineworlds

I ordered 1 polyp of the yellows and 1 polyp of the purple. These come from Roes marine world. I have seen some on liveaquaria.com, but at $100 per polyp, it was a little too rich for me. So, I thought I would give these a shot. I understand that with regular target feedings, these things grow fast. I received an e-mail from the seller and they should ship out on Monday.

There are several threads about duncans over on RC.com

I ordered mine from DFS 3 weeks back... received 1 polyp with 2 babies.

Nearly 3 weeks later, I have 1 polyp with 6 babies. Feed em lots and see em sprout!

I am wanting one too, but I heard that roe's are much smaller than the ORA duncan, and thats why they are cheaper, is that true? Anybody know where to get the ORA duncan for a decent price (cheaper than DFS)

Fishfreak218
I dont really like this coral....maybe it will grow on me....They look like mojanos LOL

same here

not impressed... its like a new craze coming on (like blastos and acans)

same here

not impressed... its like a new craze coming on (like blastos and acans)

And micromussas ;)

I am wanting one too, but I heard that roe's are much smaller than the ORA duncan, and thats why they are cheaper, is that true? Anybody know where to get the ORA duncan for a decent price (cheaper than DFS)

Man, I don't know. I did a lot of research before I made my decision. The ORA's I found were running about $100 per polyp! I also heard that the ones from Roes were also smaller than ORAs, but I figured for the difference in price, I'd give it a shot. I've also read that if you feed them regularly, they grow fast and will produce new polyps.

So i'm getting a duncan frag for about 30-35$

The colonies were going for $400 and seemed pretty big, i dunno maybe 20 polyps

How much do you guys usually pay for colonies?

Keep in mind this the first time Duncans have ever been availible here. Surprisingly Reef Rafts door was not broken down.

That seems like a pretty good price andrew.

You get the dremel, then you get the duncans, then you get the khakis, then you get the chicks. GL

Archived