Coral Vue Hydros

Flow for big tanks: Tunze vs. No-name brand

er1c_the_reefer

er1c_the_reefer

I have a 120g tank, SPS dominated.

Currently, most of my flow comes from 4 tunze nanostreams (6025x2 and 6045x2, which I'm going to sell if anyone's interested after I get stronger pumps) and two eductors. I'm getting maybe 40x turnover all together, depending on the eductor flowrate.

I'm aiming for higher turnover and less microbubbles. Right now, the eductors are spitting out microbubbles, probably because I tee'd off the return to run a chiller, and from excessive bubbles from the Euro-Reef skimmer. I'm thinking that if I can cut down return flow, I could reduce the microbubbles coming into the tank, but that would mean I'd have to depend on powerheads to get more flow. I'm also planning to use loc-line to bring the returns down behind the rock work to stir up the detritus from back there. Which means I'll be getting a stronger pump.

I was thinking about switching over to the Tunze TS24 kit, which includes 2 Tunze 6100's on a multicontroller. Each 6100 spits out up to 3175gph, and I'd have them alternating back and forth in the tank. Price is a hefty $884.54 at marinedepot, but I think I can get them a little cheaper used.

However, then I saw this beast:

Picture125.jpg

The Resun Waver-15000. Getting this would go against my policy of "what you get is what you pay for;" they do seem too good to be true. I contacted the retailer based in China, and right now they only have the 220v-240v model, which won't work here in the states. In about 2 weeks, the 110v-120v model will be released for sale to the US. They run around $115 each + shipping from China and includes the controller. I'd be getting two, so they be around $375-$400 shipped. Less than half the price of the Tunzes.

So here's what it's capable of:

Small Wave - 6.5W-2000l/h 530gph- 10-20s

Medium Wave - 12.5W - 8000l/h 2116gph - 5-15s

Large Wave - 25W - 15000l/h 3967gph - 2-10s

The following pictures come from here.

2000 l/h:

resun_pump_flow_pattern_slow.jpg

8000 l/h:

resun_pump_flow_pattern_middle.jpg

15,000 l/h:

resun_pump_flow_pattern_high.jpg

Compared to Tunze:

4000 l/h:

tunze_flow_pattern_slow.jpg

12,000 l/h:

tunze_flow_pattern_high.jpg

and Seio:

6,000 l/h:

seio_pump_flow_pattern.jpg

Problem so far is the size:

It's big. Check out the size compared to a Seio 1100.

Picture110.jpg

Anybody have any opinions?

Whichever pump I end up getting, I think I'm still going to be running two Tunze nanostreams. I just need to make up for lost flow from the eductors.

er1c_the_reefer

Problem is, $350 for a powerhead, which to me is money better spent on coral. I've seen the Vortech in person, and I'll admit they're pretty amazing. However, you can't adjust the nozzle, which makes Tunzes a little more flexible.

Problem is, $350 for a powerhead, which to me is money better spent on coral. I've seen the Vortech in person, and I'll admit they're pretty amazing. However, you can't adjust the nozzle, which makes Tunzes a little more flexible.

Way too much... the bleeding edge is expensive.

Dude--you are the real mfn deal.

I will buy a nanostream or two......

Same here. For the right price.

BTW, can I have one of those MPS' you have?? :P

Have you also thought about external pump(s)? Sequence kick arse man. JAT

Tang

MPS?

Are you talking about setting up a closed loop? I don't wanna go through the hassle...

CIMG3286.jpg

:lol:

Well, I have plenty of sps and lps......but i was looking for some of those mps! :P

Yes, a closed loop for half as much. I understand not wanting to go through the hassle though...

Tang

lol... i have some leptastrea growing out... its not LPS or SPS... must be MPS. lol

so what pump should i get?!?!?!

The wide flow pattern looks good from the photos you posted, but it's made in China. I suppose "some" good stuff gets made there, but Im not a fan of anything made in Asia. Got my reasons I suppose.

If you decide against the ones I mentioned for closed loop, go with Tunzes. Having the controller will be a major plus also.

BTW, this is the 400th post! :D

Tang

so tempting...

How bout you do this. Buy one and see if you like it. Use it for 3-4 months and see if its worth it. At least this way if it burns up, youll only be out 1 pump. :P

Tang

resun waver comes with a controller too...

Picture111.jpg

so tempting...

Er1c--How do you have one of the Momo brand right in front of you? I thought they woulnd't be released for 2 weeks or something. How did you get one to photograph?

have you considered the maxi stream mod? it pushes out a lot of wide current for a compact size. only thing is that there is no controller. the benifits are that they are very compact and that it can be done for around $40. if you want, you can check out my maxi 1200 in a 110g tank.

er1c_the_reefer

m - those pictures are taken off some sites from malaysia where it's already been released. so far their reviews are good. so far...

icy - them waveboxes scare me. lol i'd be scared that water would come fly out one side of my tank... besides i don't have anywhere i'd be able to mount it and hide it.

shags - how hard does the maxi stream mod push? i need something upwards 3000+ gph...

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
m - those pictures are taken off some sites from malaysia where it's already been released. so far their reviews are good. so far...

icy - them waveboxes scare me. lol i'd be scared that water would come fly out one side of my tank... besides i don't have anywhere i'd be able to mount it and hide it.

shags - how hard does the maxi stream mod push? i need something upwards 3000+ gph...

i've had the tunze nanosteam for a few weeks. i gotta tell ya, if the larger pumps are anything like the smaller unit, i wouldn't waste your money.

i've run into noise issues, the 2 1/2's of the pump have seperated a few times. the bracket that holds the powerhead has also lost alot of its memory in the first 3 weeks. i can see this being a real problem in a few months, when theres not enough strength in the plastic to hold the pump up.

thier big and ugly.

:)

Tunze Streams all the way. (unless you're going to pick up some of the new Vortechs...;) ) They're an incredible quality pump..I've heard/seen nothing but good things from them.

Cheers,

Fred

er1c_the_reefer

i actually like my nanostreams. yes, there were noise issues, but it seems to have gone away... i can't hear it unless i put my ear up against the glass. the start up, however, still rattles.

i was thinking about the vortechs too. but the thing i don't like about the vortech is that you can't move it around, it only aims in one direction.

and i haven't really decided on a set price yet... i'm not getting rid of them until i get a bigger pump

I just got a pair of the nanostreams and mine are almost dead silent, sooooo much quieter than the maxi-jets.

I'm throwin' in a vote for Tunze.

I just got a pair of the nanostreams and mine are almost dead silent, sooooo much quieter than the maxi-jets.

I'm throwin' in a vote for Tunze.

Are you the guy who had maxi jet issues and sleeping at night?? If so, then I'll throw another vote in for Tunze's cause my maxi's are dead silent!

Tang

Archived