makers 2 up driver

hanging kit

all from LED groupbuy

from Rapid LED we have:

3 CREE XP-E blue

6 Neutral CREE XP-G2

12 Royal Blue CREE XT-E

at a RB:NW:BL 2:1:.5 ratio

all are solderless.. I work with "small parts" all day, and soldering sounds more like work to me than enjoyable.. so solderless it is.

I also purchased some extra jumpers (very reasonably priced)

I like the clean look of plug it and move on

also, they are a little more $$, but I don't have a soldering iron, wire.. it's more to buy everything i'll use once.

i'm at $100 in LED's and extras

and at 245 in components

i'll spend another 20 at the hardware store and that's it

the build is a 2 phase build:

I really wanted to get the major components first and see what I needed to add from there

I rolled around the lumia in my head for many nights! and just really couldn't pencil out what I wanted, could want later vs now..

I also wanted to build based on what I have placed "where" in my tank, such as my maxima on one side, richordea and acans on the other..

also, the way this is set up, it's pretty much ready to drop another 2 up in, screw and plug in some more led's and go.

Dave from Nano-Box sent me a message on what they can offer v the cost to do this.. just wanted to say that I appreciated the offer and I have been looking at their products. my final cost put next to theirs is damn close with bluefish also being an attractive option on the nano.

for me to add that option I would be well above their cost. so with that said, I wanted to do a DIY, simply because I really enjoy most parts of this whole process. i'f you are on the fence about a build v purchase, check out the nanobox.

also, keep in mind that phase 2 will cost around 100.00 for another 2up and 10 or so more led's

part_1.jpg

so, channel 1 and 2 on the first part of the build, channel 2 will dim to night time (for now)

the also lets me expand with more neutral on CH 2 if I feel I don't have enough (I can add 6-8 more LED's) on the 1st phase easily

I've spent weeks reading every LED build on the forum.. countless videos..

I've looked at what all the "big Brands" have vs what you get. everything is "all over the place", but I come back to the advice and posts here

any input or flaws you see, let me know...

appreciated

• Like 1

it starts

DSCN3056.jpg

banana plugs for power

and I've dropped extra screws in the slots for adding in leds for phase 2

DSCN3057.jpg

DSCN3061.jpg

test 1 led per channel with some minor rerouting of a few wires

DSCN3058.jpg

plug it all in and test

DSCN3060.jpg

these are running about as low as they can go

I started at 5 pm... it's now 1 am

the direction these plug in really dictates layout... I had to re-route a few lines.. but i'm happy.

also, I miscalculated the space and will have to forget about adding red and lime... these look phenomenal over the tank

DSCN3064.jpg

200w 48v wiring

DSCN3067.jpg

DSCN3074.jpg

i'll run the cables back to a hook to get the light out of the way to clean

DSCN3072.jpg

i'm running at about 50%... lights at half on the knob, and 90% on the controller..

I really like the controller and the way everything hooks up with this setup

my corals have exploded within 30 min of turning it on

50/50/50 RB, Blue, and NW

DSCN3070.jpg

RFA's showing off

DSCN3077.jpg

they were dead brown under my other light

clam no longer "gaping"

DSCN3078.jpg

Awesome build !!! I was messing with the LGB led/heatsink program last night and that thing is awesme,idk if you ever knew about it.

How are you liking the UltraMarine Blues ? I got 4 of them and those things are super bright and ssuperrrrr blue.

I was just looking at them.. haven't installed them yet.. 2 weeks or so.

i'm going to reconfigure the bar this weekend and clean up the placement and wiring.

i'm going to add 2 ultras for "just" moonlight

but i'm also looking at adding 2 warm white and 2 violets to complete it all

i'm thinking i'd rather add the warms for some red, rather than mess around trying to add red leds

what I like:

• I really like the controller and the options.. cloud cover is nice.. it's easy
  • I like having separate components that are replaceable
  • I like to be able to add the lighting I want, rather than "settle" like I have been
  • I like the hanging hardware (pretty ingenious)
  • the build was somewhat expensive.. but pretty cheap for the quality you can achieve compared to other systems.. after a lot of research, all the systems had flaws, or less than ideal lighting.
  • the rapid solderless take up room, but are a big pluss for re-arranging and general wiring
  • I like being able to add to it after an initial build or first phase.. being able to add what I feel is lacking is a bonus..
  • adding on is "plug n play"
  • replacing led's in the future really is a 5 minute operation
  • I like having adjustment knobs with the controller running on the "back side".. this really gives you 100% immediate and accurate control over up to 5 channels

what I don't like:

• the heatsink is pretty bulky, but it stays damn cool with 21 LED's on it.. and will with 6-10 more added
  • it was really more expensive than some "market lighting" but in this case, you really do "get what you pay for"

what it doesn't have

• wifi... you could add it.. but simply put, I spent 150.00 just on LED's and i'm just fine with the decision to go this route. lighting of my choice and easy "full" controllability was what I was after, and what I got.

Awesome build !!! I was messing with the LGB led/heatsink program last night and that thing is awesme,idk if you ever knew about it.

How are you liking the UltraMarine Blues ? I got 4 of them and those things are super bright and ssuperrrrr blue.

do you have a link? I did a search and only found led's for trains

I miss my makers heatsink and solderless build. It was bulky but like you said it stayed cool all the time. You may pay a little more,but you built the light to how you wanted it and you pay for late instead of going thru 10 lights before you find one you actually like.

Like right now,im building a light to retro into my t5's thats 2x 12ups from stevesleds using the royals on one channel and i put a row of 4x UMB's 2x 400-410's and 2x 410-420's and a hyper violet.

20160626_124657.jpg

If you go to LGB's site,go to the makers slim heatsink youll see the link at the bottom of the description and it pops up in another page.

I miss my makers heatsink and solderless build. It was bulky but like you said it stayed cool all the time. You may pay a little more,but you built the light to how you wanted it and you pay for late instead of going thru 10 lights before you find one you actually like.

Like right now,im building a light to retro into my t5's thats 2x 12ups from stevesleds using the royals on one channel and i put a row of 4x UMB's 2x 400-410's and 2x 410-420's and a hyper violet.

20160626_124657.jpg

If you go to LGB's site,go to the makers slim heatsink youll see the link at the bottom of the description and it pops up in another page.

Funny those are the arrays they made for me way back!

Be very careful with all that heat in the unit.

-Dave

• Like 1

Funny those are the arrays they made for me way back!

Be very careful with all that heat in the unit.

-Dave

I thought so,seeming they said NBR at the top but wasnt 100% sure. No worries,its just a mock up. I need a sink and have a nice fan :happydance:

• Like 1

I took the time to do some rewiring and rearranging the led's to make room for more led's

2 ultra marines, 2 warm whites, 2-4 violets should complete the bar and give me 4 channels or everything I need!

WP_20160701_002.jpg

ok, so on the way we have

• 2up driver
  • 4 violets (420-430nm)
  • 1 cyan
  • 1 lime
  • 2 warm whites
  • 2 ultramarines

the cyan, lime, and warms will go on chanel 1 with the neutrals and 3 blues

the violet on their own (ch 3)

the ultramarines on ch 4 (moonlight)

to complete the build.. will post pics next week

all done...

WP_20160708_002.jpg

there are a few changes i'm going to make..

• 2 warm whites is way too much to add on... i'm going to pull one out
  • the 2 ultramarines look awesome for moonlight... but as the royal blues were dimming the color looked sooo much better.. i'll add a royal blue to the night channel to finish the build... for 2ultras, 1RB total

to sum up the build

from LEDgroupBuy

• 2 2up makers drivers (4channels total) (2ea 1000, 2ea 700 drivers)
  • makers controller
  • makers heat sink 12"
  • hanging kit
  • 200w48v meanwell power supply with banana plug cover and power cord

Channel:

1. 6 neutral white, 1 warm white, 1 cyan, 1 lime, 3 blue 1000driver
  2. 12 Royal Blue 1000driver
  3. 4 hyper violets (420-430) 700driver
  4. 2 ultramarines, 1 royal blue (for moonlight) 700driver

LED's are from Rapidled (all solderless)

• 4 years later...

How has this light held up.   

Came across the built site when I was looking for heatsinks.  It's an interesting concept.  Are all the drivers / parts holding up?

Thanks