Top Shelf Aquatics

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

I want to learn more about leathers and I only saw a very short and incomplete Leather Thread from 2007. Tell me what kind of leather you have and why you like it or don't like it and pics/videos.

I'll start with my only leather, Gena's toadstool, that loves Gertie's tank better than the 34g it was in. I've had it for like 2 yrs now.

As a baby..

006_zps1dbba928.jpg

007_zps81f1de8b.jpg

007_zps5a17e039.jpg

011_zps944ecc5e.jpg

005_zps601f24cd.jpg

and now.

20160303_211006_zpsmdn3yop2.jpg

20160130_164616_zpsgy8udb5i.jpg

• Like 14

And I found this site just now which talks about the 4 leather families: http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Leather-Corals.

The site goes over the following:

Family: Alcyoniidae - Cladiella

Colt Coral Finger Leather Coral, Finger-Tip Cladiella
Blushing Coral, Stubby Finger Leather Coral, Seaman's Hand

Family: Alcyoniidae - Lobophytum

Cabbage Leather Coral

Rabbit Ear Leather Coral, Flower Coral, Lobed Leather Coral Devil's Hand Coral

Finger Leather Coral, Lobed Leather Coral, Thick Finger Coral

Family: Alcyoniidae - Sarcophyton

Toadstool Leather Coral, Cup Leather Coral, Toadstool, Mushroom Leather Coral, Umbrella Coral, Mushroom Coral Elephant Ear Coral

Green Toadstool Coral, Ruffled Leather Coral, Trough Coral<br />Toadstool Leather, Mushroom Coral, Toadstool Mushroom Yellow Leather Coral Elegant Leather Coral, Yellow Toadstool Leather<br />Fiji Yellow Leather, Yellow Umbrella Leather, Ruffled Leather Yellow Toadstool Leather Coral Gold-Crowned Leather Coral, Lacy-Head Leather Coral, Leather Sponge Mushroom, Leather Cup Coral

Family: Alcyoniidae - Sinularia

Cabbage Leather Coral

Flower Leather Coral, Flat Leather Coral

Lobed Leather Coral, Carpet Coral, Lettuce Coral Finger Leather Coral Fingered Leather Coral, Green Finger Leather, Green Fiji
Rasta Leather, Sinularis Finger Leather Flexible Leather Coral Spaghetti Finger Leather Coral, Thin Finger Coral
Soft Finger Coral, Rasta Leather

Really nice site.

• Like 3

Following along on this one! This is a GREAT idea, Annette! I'm a huge leather coral fan.

You have any leathers? I can't remember.

• Like 1

You have any leathers? I can't remember.

I do! a few sinularia, a bunch of toadstools and a yellow fiji :) I will take some pictures and stuffs and post them up!

• Like 1

Can you put a bunch in one tank or would the toxins affect other corals/inverts as they shed? I'm thinking of doing my rock flower nem tank with a backdrop of leathers, I need some other corals to set them off and make it more interesting.

And do you dip leathers? I only ask because you hear many times someone dipping something they shouldn't. I've never dipped my rock flower nems. Some things you just don't dip. I do like that the site discusses diseases that can happen and how to treat as well.

• Like 1

I did dip these. I kinda had little option because the tank they were coming from was simply infested with flatworms. I also dipped the bubble tip - it pissed her off - because of the same flatworms. I should have taken photos of the flatworms I got off all the coral/nems.

• Like 1

I do! a few sinularia, a bunch of toadstools and a yellow fiji :) I will take some pictures and stuffs and post them up!

Duh, I forgot, I knew you did cuz you bought a yellow fiji cuz you, Gena & Felicia got 'em all around the same time, roughly.

Leathers :wub: I have a few of those beautiful forgiving globs of goo that smell like rotting flesh :)

Well then, show us your roadkill why don't you??? ha ha.

• Like 1

I love leathers! My LFS turned me off to them when I was new, but I have decided to turn my new tank into a softy/nem tank. So far my softies include a toadstool, cabbage, neon sinularia, and a tiny frag of pineapple tree. I have been on the verge of purchasing more, but I keep convincing myself to wait.

• Like 2

So I'm pretty embarrassed to show my tank when compared to the other 350's on here...Its definitely needs to grow out for a few more months to start to look decent. I'm also not 100% on placement. Here is a crappy iPhone pic I took today after maintenance just for record. Here goes...

IMG_0453.jpg

• Like 5

I love leathers! My LFS turned me off to them when I was new, but I have decided to turn my new tank into a softy/nem tank. So far my softies include a toadstool, cabbage, neon sinularia, and a tiny frag of pineapple tree. I have been on the verge of purchasing more, but I keep convincing myself to wait.

Wow, so you just joined us very recently! Congrats on finding the best group of reefers!!! Do they bother each other or do they live in harmony? I just don't know anything much about them except some pics on a few threads.

Nice tank! Looks like you just started it then pretty recently.

• Like 2

Wow, so you just joined us very recently! Congrats on finding the best group of reefers!!! Do they bother each other or do they live in harmony? I just don't know anything much about them except some pics on a few threads.

Nice tank! Looks like you just started it then pretty recently.

So far I haven't noticed any issues with them, but I haven't had them for more than a couple of months. The tank is about 3 months old I believe. I plan to start a thread on it once it grows a bit and I need to borrow a DSLR to get some decent pics.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

I have a nice red finger leather that branches like crazy every few days. It seems content to to resemble an underwater leave-less tree more than anything. I'm actually planning on getting a pink nephtea next.

• Like 2

I'd love to see a tank of them at an lfs but we have only 2 lfs and they'll have one here or there. That would be an awesome way to compare/contrast the color, the height, etc.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a tank of them at an lfs but we have only 2 lfs and they'll have one here or there. That would be an awesome way to compare/contrast the color, the height, etc.

I see your not far from me, what LFS do you go to?

jamescstein

I've got 4 leathers

1) Yellow Fiji that is turning green

06A5EF89-7957-4FD8-906E-D248BFABD25B.jpg

2) Neon Toadstool old pic, I'll get a new one tonight or this weekend. It's a monster now.

IMG_3827.jpg

My how she's grown.

844D7907-0434-44BE-8E2C-489F978347C1_1.j

3 & 4) Laminalia?... feels and looks like a leather but not like any I can match it to on the left. Green Devils hand on the right maybe? Not sure on that one either.

IMG_3821.jpg

• Like 2
jedimasterben

wtf is up with the thread name? :lol:

Sarcophyton sp.

24927554860_352b85251f_o.jpg

Sinularia sp.

24592499124_c719ef705a_o.jpg

Nepthea sp.

24855457819_f06a5a5eda_o.jpg

Sinularia sp.

25001017172_4fcb28837b_o.jpg

Capnella sp.

24823602760_47e06b807f_o.jpg

Sinularia sp.

25025990011_c666d27423_o.jpg

And this is a Sarcophyton sp. before it retracted its polyps during a water change. :)

IMG_20160208_213803523.jpg

• Like 8

wtf is up with the thread name? :lol:

Sarcophyton sp.

24927554860_352b85251f_o.jpg

Sinularia sp.

24592499124_c719ef705a_o.jpg

Nepthea sp.

24855457819_f06a5a5eda_o.jpg

Sinularia sp.

25001017172_4fcb28837b_o.jpg

Capnella sp.

24823602760_47e06b807f_o.jpg

Sinularia sp.

25025990011_c666d27423_o.jpg

And this is a Sarcophyton sp. before it retracted its polyps during a water change. :)

IMG_20160208_213803523.jpg

Have you never said the tongue twister "red leather yellow leather" as fast as you can repeatedly??

Wow. I love the green on that sinularia. What do they look like larger?

And I love the shape of the capnella! It's pretty.

I've got 4 leathers

1) Yellow Fiji that is turning green

06A5EF89-7957-4FD8-906E-D248BFABD25B.jpg

2) Neon Toadstool old pic, I'll get a new one tonight or this weekend. It's a monster now.

IMG_3827.jpg

3 & 4) Laminalia?... feels and looks like a leather but not like any I can match it to on the left. Green Devils hand on the right maybe? Not sure on that one either.

IMG_3821.jpg

So why do yellow fiji turn green and and green devil's hand not look green? Most things seem to be a color of beige/pink/tan.

jedimasterben

Have you never said the tongue twister "red leather yellow leather" as fast as you can repeatedly??

Wow. I love the green on that sinularia. What do they look like larger?

And I love the shape of the capnella! It's pretty.

So why do yellow fiji turn green and and green devil's hand not look green? Most things seem to be a color of beige/pink/tan.

No, can't say I ever have LOL. :)

Nobody seems to know, I've never seen a frag of this strain grown out, a common problem with even widely-spread leathers. It is from ORA.

True Fiji yellow leathers, Sarcophyton elegans, are never green. Almost all leathers in the world are tan with white polyps, only some are more colorful, but they're out there. :)

So can you have too many leathers and macros in one tank? Would they deplete each other out by not having enough since they both help with nitrates?

jedimasterben

So can you have too many leathers and macros in one tank? Would they deplete each other out by not having enough since they both help with nitrates?

I really doubt that's possible.

• Like 2