Innovative Marine Aquariums

Alexey's Shallow 30x30x12 - New Acro Colonies !

Berlibee

Why not try Cyano-Clean if you're not already using it. Im sure Vibrant will get rid of what you have going on at the moment.

Cyano-Clean is much more expensive and it is targeting only Cyano. Vibrant have a wide range if it works I will just keep dosing it to prevent algae problems in future. ;)

After the transfer of the system I have forgot to attach heaters to the Apex Controller. I know that we all know that but it's funny to see a visual how cool temperature stabilize salinity readings ( After 21Dec. 12:00 ) :

Salinity_and_Temp.png?format=2500w

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It started a few month ago. But my tank is only a few month old so was hard to understand. I thought diatoms are here and weren't very concerned about. I don't want to say anything bad about that product but right after I've added the Oyster-Feast® from Reef Nutrition it lost control all over the tank and I couldn't do anything... you can see pictures in my prev. post. And I've added a super small amount of that product. Once a week, half of the daily dose !

UpDate: Dino comeback after three days.

What I did:

1. Changed the Zeovit Media.

2. Changed Carbon.

3. Adjusted the ZeoStart dosing to the full amount, was dosing only a half of recommended.

4. Water changes.

5. Cut all the nutrition dosing. Left only ZeoStart, ZeoBac, CoralSnow.

6. Blow them from the corals as often as I can.

7. Added Micro Scrubbing Bubbles.

8. Dosing Vibrant.

Sometimes it was better but with every water change they were stronger like never. That was my first mistake. NO WATER CHANGES - this only makes them happy.

Then i found Vibrant:

Three weeks ago I've started to dose Vibrant x2 a week 1ml for every 10g. so 6ml twice a week for my 60g total. But I was still doing the water changes. But with Vibrant dino were much weaker already even after the water changes. After the dose #4, I cut all the water changes, covered the tank with cardboards dosed the dose #5 and did a total blackout for 2 days. When opened and dosed the dose #6 following with two days of very short 5h light cycles. Yesterday was my first full light cycle here is the video how the tank looks like now. I'm not saying that I won the battle but it's a huge improvement at this moment and I hope it will continue to progress and they will not come back, I will continue the dosing x2 a week for the next 2 weeks and then switch to x1 a week. Then maybe to x1 every two weeks regular dosing schedule.

Also before the blackouts I've added "Micro Scrubbing Bubbles" to the system which I think was also helping to export die off strings and particles and maintaining better pH during the night and blackout period.

• Like 3

WOW! What an improvement... I too have had success with Vibrant (mostly for just keeping the sand bed clean). Glad to see things are on the up and up. Looking forward to more badass pics

• Like 1

WOW! What an improvement... I too have had success with Vibrant (mostly for just keeping the sand bed clean). Glad to see things are on the up and up. Looking forward to more badass pics

Thanks, yes I'm happy with the results at this moment as well. Most of the people are getting huge cyano bloom after. Wondering if I will get it as well or not.

Interested to see if this works long term. Pretty sure I have dinos, as well. Looks like cyano, but disappears completely at lights out. Sand looks pristine. Have not seen any on rocks so I think it is at least contained. I think at next Vibrant dose I will blackout for a few days.

So far it looks like a great turnaround though!

• Like 1

Interested to see if this works long term. Pretty sure I have dinos, as well. Looks like cyano, but disappears completely at lights out. Sand looks pristine. Have not seen any on rocks so I think it is at least contained. I think at next Vibrant dose I will blackout for a few days.

So far it looks like a great turnaround though!

Good luck with it. I really hope as well. ;) We will see.

how did you make the micro scrubbing bubbles? air stone in return chamber?

Yes a limewood stone with that 3.9 PSI pump but I found that placing it in the sector just before the return pump chamber make better bubbles. But there are tons of different places just need to play around the return pump with. The pump is loud, but it is far from our bedroom so on the night doesn't bother us.

4 Months Update:

I've skipped 3 months update because dino was everywhere. The last update on dino that I've posted was a fake hope. After three days of blackout it did go away but a few days later it comeback with full power and ever worse. I've sent a sample of my dino to Twilliard from Reef2Reef and that was his answer:

Dino.png?format=1500w

"Yes you do have dinoflagellates which I believe to be a family of ostreopsis. Have you been implementing any prior method to rid of these? ( Yes, I was dosing Vibrant ). This is important to know and note. Something in the recent past has changed the chemistry of the system to a point where they have gone into "protection" mode. Within these pictures you will see around the brown areas a clear shell. This is NOT good. That is there hibernation state and nothing will touch them during this period. I have inspected 3 slides and there is an estimated 90+% of the cells are either in hibernation or exiting. At this point I would highly recommend to add nothing to the water to try to control them. Unfortunately it is too late to try conventional methods. They all have to exit this state. Here are the images On the righthand side towards the center you can see the outlines of empty shells and the top center is in hibernation"

"If Vibrant was the culprit they will stay until the conditions are back to normal. They do not reproduce during this stage."

So I've decided I will continue dosing Vibrant, because it is really helping anyway to keep the tank clean of algae, I really like how rocks look like and glass after I've started using it. I've decided to remove as much as a can of them while they're in the "protection" mode. After this I've removed all the sand with 4 water changes and this is really helping a lot at this moment. There are only a few spots where dino is present now and I'm happy with the results.

Will post some pictures and more info about changes in the system later. ;)

I've also done a few changes in the system:

1. Switched from x1 MP40 to two MP10. Which I like much more !

2. Added Micro Scrubbing Bubbles aeration to the system.

3. Drilled a hole in the wall and I have now outdoor air coming to the skimmer.

Micro Scrubbing Bubbles are really working and pH is much more stable comparing before. Now it is between 8.2 and 8.35.

I run bubbles every hour for 1 min. during the day. And for 6 hours at night from 00:00 to 06:00 which helps burst pH level when lights are off. I've also noticed better skimming when added outdoor air to the skimmer and MSB.

I'm also turning micro bubbles ON for one hour after dosing CoralSnow which help to trap all the stuff and export.

It is very easy and cheap to add into the system and really fun to watch when it's on.

I was visiting the local aquarium and what is funny they are also using it. I was watching their coral reef display and suddenly bubbles started to blow all around from pipes simulating waves and aerating the tank.

I run Apex and you can actually see the pH burst during the bubbling. Fishes are also much more active etc ...

In three words I LOVE IT ! Hehehe ... :wub:

There are still some "dust" in the water after removing the sand. It will go away in a few days.

A few shots of the reef now. I decided to leave the dino on the images to show the spots that are still affected:

BB001.jpg?format=2500w

BB002.jpg?format=2500w

BB003.jpg?format=2500w

BB004.jpg?format=2500w

BB005.jpg?format=2500w

• Like 3

Damn man,has everything been holding up good during the whole thing ? Everything looke awesome !!!

Zoas were always closed because of dino and sps as well. Also lost two sps frags. I don't know why but it looks like dinos love red dragon corals. I've lost one and when I've got an other, same day that small colony was affected by dinos. I've placed now the rocks with that colony just in front of the pump, will leave it there for a few days, blowing them out should help I hope ... too hard to blow manually during the day. But in general corals looks healthy and encrusting ... ;) I hope I will be able to control the population of dinos.